Guitar Rig 3 And A/c Hum
N4085B
Jan 7 2009, 06:01 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,
Been playing around with GR3 and am pretty happy with it..except for a really annoying a/c hum or ground loop type buzzing on some of the hi-gain amps. I have tried putting in some virtual noise reduction units and turned up the threshold which works until you hit a chord or note and the hum just overpowers it. This hum actually changes slightly when I scroll up and down on the GR3 graphic. Moving the guitars (both single coils and humbuckers) around from the monitor (lcd by the way)or computer has no effect. I currently plug my guitar into a mackie mixer and from there into an m-audio 2496 sound card. Even with the guitar cable unplugged from the mixer..its still pretty obnoxious. When I run my Podxt through the same setup..its quiet!
I did replace the shielded/unbalanced cables from the mixer to the audio card..no change. I read in the manual to try breaking the shield on one end of my cables to get rid of the possible gound loop that way...anyone tried that trick before?
Anyhow, just looking for some possible ideas before I ruin a set of cables!
Thanks,
Jess

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2009, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Maybe the electrical wiring is not good there, or some devices cause interference. I would first check out if Mackie is not the source of the problems. Try to replace Mackie with a processor or DI box if you can get some to localize the problem first before you ruin the cables man.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 02:34 PM
Exactly so.
Many computers are bad if it comes to ground routing, plus they're one big noise generators... sadly. I'd check if the case is properly grounded, then if the soundcard isn't to close of GPU or like that...
If you put your cable out of the guitar and touch it with your finger - does the hum get much lower?

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
N4085B
Jan 8 2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, when I unplug the guitar cable from the guitar (other end still plugged into the mackie) it still hums...no change whether I touch it or not. I did discover though, that if I plug the guitar straight into my sound card (bypassing the mackie totally) the hum is gone! It must be a ground loop problem with my mixer somehow...tomorrow I'm going to get behind the computer desk and try some cable rerouting as well as trying some different a/c outlets on some of the different peices of gear. We'll see how that goes!

Thanks again,
Jess

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 8 2009, 08:37 AM
QUOTE (N4085B @ Jan 8 2009, 03:19 AM) *
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, when I unplug the guitar cable from the guitar (other end still plugged into the mackie) it still hums...no change whether I touch it or not. I did discover though, that if I plug the guitar straight into my sound card (bypassing the mackie totally) the hum is gone!

So... it's something with a mackie, but probably it's a brum, as you said touching it with your finger doesn't help.
It can be a bigger problem, as it may require making a brum filter with some big capacitor in your mackie's power supply...
I hope it's not the case, as it would require some skills from you (although it's not such a big deal as it may sound at first).

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2009, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Outlet switching is a good way to start. If that doesn't help, you may be in need for a power filter, like Furman, or just get a cheap DI Box unit and skip the Mackie for guitar recordings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 9 2009, 02:25 PM
IF, and only if you ain't scared of electronics....
You can open your mackie and see for those things:

- is electronics far away from a power coil? Specially the amplifying unit, whatever it is should be really separated from the coil. You can make some screens from an old cutted away pepsi can cool.gif
- you can change all the wires with screened ones, it can give a lot, not only considering your hum, but also for all the noises.

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 9 2009, 02:33 PM
I've always found that having my guitar stuff on a different circuit in the house from my PC stuff is helpful. Yeah, PCs are giant noise generators. Fans, HDDs spinning, all those usb cables heading off to different peripherals. They are like giant antennas!

Try that, it could help.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jan 9 2009, 04:57 PM
I think that that's NI's idea of simulating noisy high gain amps. I haven't played much with Guitar Rig 3, but some of the amps buzz like that in Guitar Rig 2 and it's definitely coming from the software and not the cables/guitar/interference.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 9 2009, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jan 9 2009, 10:57 AM) *
I think that that's NI's idea of simulating noisy high gain amps. I haven't played much with Guitar Rig 3, but some of the amps buzz like that in Guitar Rig 2 and it's definitely coming from the software and not the cables/guitar/interference.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. A lot of amps do that in Gearbox as well. I just throw a gate on it if it's to obtrusive.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
klausb
Jul 6 2012, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 9 2009, 08:20 PM) *
I was kinda thinking the same thing. A lot of amps do that in Gearbox as well. I just throw a gate on it if it's to obtrusive.

Defintely not a gear issue since I do have the same. So good as a modeler it models all the awkquard-ish sound as well.
I needed to ground my computer case (wire it to the heatng outside with 2 screws) to get rid of a lot of ground noise.

Defintely not a gear issue since I do have the same. So good as a modeler it models all the awkquard-ish sound as well.
I needed to ground my computer case (wire it to the heatng outside with 2 screws) to get rid of a lot of ground noise.

+Quote Post
klausb
Jul 6 2012, 02:15 PM

IMO the sound is defintely not a gear issue since I do have the same. So good as a modeler it models all the awkquard-ish sound as well.
btw I needed to ground my computer case (wire it to the heatng outside with 2 screws) to get rid of a lot of ground noise. it also gave me a gain on my fingers and set the strings on voltage ;-))...I heard the big guys also had this issue live in the 70s.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:57 PM