> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2014, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! I'm glad to know that the feedback was clear and that helped. The plan looks excellent. It's exactly how I use to organize my guitar routines. Keep going and please share some new videos in a few days. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 5 2014, 01:02 PM
GMC:er
Hey gab, your have to wait a bit for them videos wink.gif I am away for a few days but i will be back working hard on my routine soon!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Ok! Thanks for notifying! See you back. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 16 2014, 07:27 PM
Hey Gab,
I'm back from my days off and have started up playing this week again. I've been doing my routine that I previously told you about over the last week.
Here is a new video from the beginner bending lesson, I think there is an slight improvement here but I let you be the judge of that biggrin.gif

Also I starting practicing the millencolin lesson again as i haven't fully gotten this down. I stayed away from the fast lessons for a while because of my arm and back issues but I am practicing this one again. Its doesn't sound so smooth yet so I added this to my routine.

The next lessons I plan to learn are the Kyuss, Fu Manchu lessons and the alternative picking lesson you suggested.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2014, 10:53 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome back!! smile.gif

I can notice some improvements in the bending lesson but you still have to work on the lesson. There are many bends that don't reach the correct pitch, mostly in the first section, but also in the second half. I note that you have even more problems when you bend down the strings, for any reason most of the bending down are out of pitch. However I can notice that your left hand is looking more comfortable with the technique so this means that you are on the right track. Just continue playing it over the original lesson focusing on your bending pitch.

The Millencolin lesson is sounding good!! Your timing is very tight on this lesson and that's not a small thing, it's a very fast lesson. There are some small moments that need some attention:

- 00:04: That movement in the higher string of the chord is not clear. (and every time the same idea is repeated in the intro)

- 00:12 to 00:23: Just be careful with the timing of those only downstrokes with palm muting.

- 00:46: The first chords sound a bit out of tune, be careful with the fingers pressure to avoid unwanted micro-bends.

- 00:58: Focus on making that transition smoother.

Ok mate, great to see you back! Keep on the great job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 19 2014, 12:00 PM
Hey Gab! Thanks for your thorough feedback on these two lessons. I understand your comments on both the lessons and will work on those issues over the next week. I also started learning the Fu Manchu Style lesson today and will work on that intensely this week. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2014, 07:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Oct 19 2014, 08:00 AM) *
Hey Gab! Thanks for your thorough feedback on these two lessons. I understand your comments on both the lessons and will work on those issues over the next week. I also started learning the Fu Manchu Style lesson today and will work on that intensely this week. biggrin.gif

Great! Looking forward your new takes. Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 25 2014, 03:11 PM
Hey Gab, Here I am with some new takes biggrin.gif . First off I been learning the vibrato lesson that you suggested this past week or so. Here is my first take below, its a bit of a rough and kind of crappy take but i really feel this lesson is already helping me improve my vibrato technique.

Next up is the stoner rock 2 lesson. I tried to work on the things you said like the vibrato and the solo section. Its still not perfect, especially the solo which needs to be more fluid and smooth but i will keep working on it. I will get onto the alternative picking lesson you suggested maybe that will help me a bit out with the solo.

Finally another take on the millencolin lesson working on the things you said. Its maybe not a huge improvement but I am feeling quite confident with this lesson now. It maybe just needs a little bit more polishing still.

I started learning the Fu Manchu lesson this week and have nearly learned all the parts my aim is to get a take of that by the end of next week.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 26 2014, 06:43 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Thanks for this new takes! I can see you working really hard, congrats! smile.gif

Let's go with some comments for each video:

Vibrato lesson: Excellent!! I can also notice that your left hand is getting stronger and more confident with this important technique. Your guitar is not perfectly tuned and that makes your take sound a bit weird, but let's focus on your vibrato technique. The slower vibratos are sounding really good, both the groove and the movement are perfect. Then, when the faster ones start, I notice that you are not going with the same rhythm than the original lesson, and that you are not going well with the groove. The problem is technique limitation, so the only solution is practice. Keep on practicing this one every day. wink.gif

Stoner lesson: Good job with this one! You are playing the riffs very tight. I just have to say that your right hand could pick stronger some parts of the riff to give it more aggression, and at the same time more dynamics. Try to give more wrist movement to your rhythm playing, it will help to be able to play stronger the notes that go with the beat. (Check the original lesson and pay attention to how I manage dynamics).
The solo section still needs some practice. It has timing issues, the vibrato is weak, and the last bend is not totally precise. Work on it!

Millencolin lesson: Awesome take! This one is so close man! There are not very important problems to mark! I just note that you need some more days of practice to feel more comfortable with some transitions, but the overall is close to be perfect!

So, in other words, you are doing a very good work mate, keep on rocking!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 27 2014, 08:40 PM
Hi Gab, thanks for your helpful comments and positive encouragement. I really start to feel like my playing is improving in some areas. I think that has to do with me learning the technical lessons and not just focusing on the fun song ones biggrin.gif
Its always hard to practice the "boring" technical ones but its really motivating to see how its helping my playing. So thanks for suggesting these lessons to me!

I have a question about the tone on the Fu Manchu lesson. I downloaded your patch and i am playing it through my POD but its just doesn't sound right. It sounds really bassy and I have tried to tweak some controls but I still can't get it sounding good. I also noticed you have a few effects turned off in the chain. I attached an image of them. Do you have any tips here to get closer to your tone? thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2014, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hi friend, thanks for your words. I'm glad to know that you are really enjoying this work together. I honestly find it very inspiring by the way so thank you for opening me the doors to your musical life and guitar practice. I really appreciate it. smile.gif

Those turned off effect are the ones that I usually add for guitar solos. Sometimes when I create a guitar tone, I create a version of the same one with tube screamer and a comp for the lead sections. Could you please share a short recording with me to let me hear what's happening?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Oct 31 2014, 08:18 PM
Sorry gab for only getting back to you today. Its been an insane week at work and I have had barely any time for playing. sad.gif
I can only say since I have been working with you this year I have felt real progress after struggling by myself for a few years. I've really stripped back to the basics and almost started over again but you have opened my eyes to things i would have never known or found out by myself. I'm glad you find it inspiring and can get a little out of it too wink.gif

Here are some short recordings on the Fu Manchu tone. One is the original with the provided pod tone from you and the other one is me changing it a bit. The problem is its really bassy and you can't hear the notes clearly. It sounds really muddy. I am not completely happy with mine, its too far away from the original sound of yours from the lesson.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Fu_Manchu_Tone_Changed.wav ( 35.16MB ) Number of downloads: 77
Attached File  Fu_Manchu_Tone_Original.wav ( 35.16MB ) Number of downloads: 69

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2014, 02:49 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, it's true, the sound is very different compared with the original lesson. This makes me think that I recorded the rhythm guitar with that overdrive (screamer) turned on. Try using your new setting but with the overdrive one, I think that it should sound more defined and with less low end, try it and let me know!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 8 2014, 06:32 PM
Hey Gab, So here is my first take of the Fu Manchu lesson. I must say i wasn't able to practice this one as much as i wanted to and am not completely comfortable with it but i made a recording anyway.

I am think of tackling the kyuss or the bring me the horizon lesson next biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2014, 11:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Great choices! I'm proud of seeing you working on many of my lessons. smile.gif

You can play the whole lesson very consistently and with a very good timing which is not a small thing, however you need to improve two techniques: vibrato & bending.

The main problem with bending is that you are not using the other fingers to help the one that is doing the bend. For example, go to 00:08 on your video and check your left hand, then go to 00:08 on my video and see how I use finger 2 to help finger 3 to do the bend. This trick use for bends and also for vibrato, so please review all bends and vibrato on your lesson and try to apply it. Also check the way I play each one to be sure that you are doing it in an effective way.

As you already can play this one at tempo, the best would be to practice the lesson over the original one trying to emulate bend's pitches and vibrato.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 10 2014, 09:18 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 8 2014, 10:29 PM) *
Hi Philm! Great choices! I'm proud of seeing you working on many of my lessons. smile.gif

Well you have so many cool high quality lessons in the style of bands that I like:) Its a no brainer really biggrin.gif
But as you keep mentioning my vibrato and bending is still rubbish so I know i should be spending more time on the technique lessons!
I always leave these until last in my practice time, maybe I need to put them at the beginning:)

I understand your points with the Fu Manchu lesson. Use those supporting fingers! I always seem to have a problem in the third part with the vibrato in the E string on the 8th fret. I always seem to slip off the string, do you also use a second finger to support here. I can't quite tell from your video. Thanks for your help!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 11 2014, 04:34 AM
Instructor
Well, I'm not exactly meaning that you have to focus on technique lessons. If you don't find them inspiring you can avoid them, but focus on the technique while you play the musical lessons. Isolate the sections where you have problems and try to master the details. I think that using technique lessons is more effective but working on real music examples is more "real", it makes you feel comfortable on real music situation and for any reason it has more sense. It can take a bit more time, but once you master it, you are ready for the road (playing live, recording at the studio, recording your own ideas).

I can compare it to a soccer player. He can do gym, he can run, and he will be more trained but he won't be ready until he practice playing football. That's the real thing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 16 2014, 11:31 AM
Hey gab, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Its been a few frustrating weeks where I just haven't been able to play and practice as much as I wanted too.

I wanted to say its not as if I hate the technical lessons and don't enjoy them at all. Its just simply the song based lessons are a little more fun. That being said I really see and believe the technical lessons are really helping me improve the different techniques and I do want to continue learning and using them. I just think I will put them at the beginning of my practice routines to ensure that i really do cover them in my practice as sometimes i run out of time for them.

I have started to learn the alternative picking lesson you suggested to me but I haven't gotten that far yet. Hopefully i can get some proper practice in next week. Cu around biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 16 2014, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, thanks for the update!

This sounds great for me. Just dedicating some minutes at the beginning of your practice can create a big impact in your guitar playing. You'd even feel more comfortable with the second part of the routine (musical lessons).

Frustrating days? Why? Too much work? or no motivation?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Nov 17 2014, 09:37 PM
I've learned the first four or five parts of the alternative picking lesson. Buts that's going to be a real long term project. I have to take that one real slow. Do you have any particular advice for alternative picking that i should watch out for while learning this one?

I'm always motivated to play that's never the problem, i love playing biggrin.gif The problem is I have too much work and other commitments that get in the way of practice and mean I can only practice two nights a week and on the weekends. I am trying to negotiate with my bosses to reduce my hours but its not going to be easy!

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:15 PM