Wylde Od Vs Maxon Extreme 808 Vs Ts9
gnarkill
Aug 23 2016, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
I currently have the MXR Wylde OD, and I like it okay. It doesnt really give me any warmth. I can sometimes barely notice the difference with it on. I am running everything thru a 6505 Peavey.

I have been watching countless videos on the TS9 and the Maxon Extreme OD (saw it first on Fluffs channel and liked it). I know I dont like my Wylde... but I cant decide if the Maxon or TS9 is gonna be better. They both sound noticeably warmer and adds a bit more flavor for metal (which I like).

What do you all think? What are you all using?

Edit... I would like to throw the Maxon 808 in the mix too!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by gnarkill: Aug 23 2016, 10:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Mertay
Aug 24 2016, 12:53 PM
Problem is these od's all have a different effect to sound as it heavily depends on the distortion of the amp.

First off the volume boost, if you're cracking the output of the wylde non of the option you gave would make you happy as my ts9's output (to me) is barely enough. I'd expect the maxons to push just a tiny bit more if noticeable.

My suggestion for you would too look into the ts9dx. Its ts9 mode is a bit muddyer than a ts9 but this is mainly noticable side-by-side only. The other 3 modes as increased heavyly increased the bass and output, a friend of mine uses the + mode as its like a full range OD (even nice on the clean channel for bluesy thick tones). If I wouldn't have the bb9 pedal and wanted to push serious distortion, I'd probably sell my ts9 and buy a ts9dx.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 24 2016, 12:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 24 2016, 02:43 PM
This is a really great alternative to the stock TS-9 ...
http://www.ibanez.com/products/effect_page...amp;effect_id=9

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 24 2016, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 24 2016, 01:43 PM) *
This is a really great alternative to the stock TS-9 ...

Love the sound of that pedal alone but boosting a 6505 for more warmth...I'm sceptic but wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

I bet my ibanez bb9 would be perfect for that job (designed to kill the harshness of a jcm) but its quality is low (China made, its pots and switch feels like a joke compared to my ts9...the new sd9m might also lack quality). First one I got had a bad high pitched noise and changed it so I don't feel comfortable reccomending it although it might be the most important pedal I have now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 24 2016, 05:32 PM
The new SD9m is made out of solid steel. Very rugged. I love mine.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 24 2016, 05:50 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 24 2016, 04:32 PM) *
The new SD9m is made out of solid steel. Very rugged. I love mine.

Yeah same as the bb9 (and the jd9), heavy! biggrin.gif they got the sound right but the rest...maybe I got a lemon back then and though current is working fine simply has a bad impression for me. Best is to check them first or buy from a decent place incase it needs to be returned for a new one.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:11 PM