2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Problem With Telecaster, Here I go again
Phil66
Jun 16 2017, 10:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If there's a duff item, even one in a million, I'll get it.

My Baja Telecaster has had fret buzz since I had it, not major but enough to annoy. I put it down to the truss rod. Normally I'll adjust it myself but this guitar requires the neck to be removed and I couldn't be arsed so I popped down to my mate's guitar shop and he had a look, he said "do you want the good news or the bad?". He said he turned the truss rod a quarter turn and it was just turning, basically it had come off the thread. He turned it back an eighth of a turn. It helped a little but not enough. I bought it from PMT Birmingham via another friend of mine who is also a friend of my friend that owns Rockstar Guitars so he is collecting it and getting their luthier to look at it and if he can't fix it it's going back to Fender.

I'll never be able to put 9s on it. I think either the truss rod is too short or the hole at the adjustment end is too shallow and not allowing enough of the thread into the hole at the other end.

mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 17 2017, 03:16 AM
Learning Tone Master
sorry for your trouble
I actually swore off fender and Gibson many years ago

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2017, 09:37 AM
I've wanted a Tele for a long time just to have one in my collection, rave reviews about the 50s Baja helped my choice, I tried one and loved it. One review said, "if you're only going to have one Telecaster, make it this one", so I did smile.gif

I have to admit I didn't play this particular one, my mate brought it from PMT. I wasn't overly concerned about the buzz, only on the wound strings and not massive, in fact, my mate who adjusted it, didn't get buzz but he said he gets loads of people bring guitars in with fret buzz, his wife will play them and get buzz, the bloke who teaches in there will play it and get buzz but he'll pay it and not get buzz, he must pick real light.

Anyway, it should all get sorted.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 17 2017, 01:44 PM
GMC:er
awww bad luck sad.gif

On the side note, a friend of mine collects tele's and each is really different from one another. For example the first he bought is super comfortable to play but he also has this mexican one that might be one of the hardest to play I ever got my hands on. (but the tone is so thick in a good way makes you play till fingers bleed smile.gif ).

Its almost like the guitars want such adjustment specific to them, so after the repair if it doesn't get the comfort you're used to from other guitars I wouldn't worry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2017, 03:20 PM
I'm sure it will be fine once the truss rod is sorted and allows full adjustment. I love the guitar but the only way at the moment to get rid of the buzz is to have an action very high. One more quarter turn of the truss rod and it will disconnect from the anchor. The neck must have a lot of natural back bow.

Thinking about it, I don't think the truss rod itself is the issue, the neck has too much natural back bow counteracting the pull of the strings and the truss rod doesn't have to do much work. The neck needs to be fore bowed in its natural state so that the truss rod can pull it back into a more desirable relief. I think even with the truss rod disconnected, this neck would be flat with a set of 9s or 8s on it. How that can be fixed I don't know. What do you think?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 18 2017, 11:44 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2017, 04:01 PM
Is it one or two piece neck? Maple fingerboard or rosewood?

If it's truly back-bowed, the truss won't do anything (as you've already surmised).
I would put a set of 10's or 11's on it and see if that corrects it.

There's also this method for straightening out a back-bow ...

Attached Image

Take the truss rod out completely and leave it like this for 2 or 3 days.
That jig was made with two 2" x 4"s glued and screwed together.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 17 2017, 04:09 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks Ken,

It's a maple neck with 10s on. Could I just tune it a half or whole step for a week or two? I'm concerned putting bigger gauge strings on will widen the nut grooves.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 17 2017, 05:58 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 17 2017, 04:39 PM
I do remember reading truss-rod's turning inside the neck. Could be related to the backbow as to what caused it, maybe somehow the space for the truss-rod inside the neck expanded for some reason.

Never really looked at how such problems are fixed but the truss-rod on such guitars are really easy to pull-out and fix the truss-rod or the guitar neck (not always the case with other guitars). Let's wait and see the reply, to me there is a chance it won't be a too hard fix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2017, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2017, 08:06 AM) *
Thanks Ken,

It's a maple neck with 10s on. Could I just tune it a half or whole step for a week or two? I'm concerned putting bigger gauge strings on will wooden the nut grooves.

Cheers

Yeah, you could try that. Tune it up a whole step for a week or two.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 17 2017, 05:02 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Good grief man , just send it back. You just got it didn't you?

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jun 17 2017, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2017, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 17 2017, 09:02 AM) *
Good grief man , just send it back. You just got it didn't you?

This is the best advice really.
It's new, it shouldn't be displaying the problem your describing, the truss rod should function (that's why it's there in the first place) and you should be able to play that thing buzz free with .09's on it.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2017, 06:02 PM
I've just been speaking to my mate about it, he said its not a problem to have it back, he will fetch it from me. I said I'd try the Sharp tuning first because he said that's what the luthier had said he would do first before they sent it back to Fender.

I love the guitar and don't want to risk it being swapped if it can be fixed easily wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 17 2017, 10:05 PM
I have to be the third guy to agree on this. If a guitar shows up and it's not right, send it back and get one that is right. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 17 2017, 12:11 PM) *
This is the best advice really.
It's new, it shouldn't be displaying the problem your describing, the truss rod should function (that's why it's there in the first place) and you should be able to play that thing buzz free with .09's on it.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2017, 10:40 PM
Thing is Todd, reading about these guitars I've found that they do vary a lot. I really love the feel/weight/tone of this one so I'm reluctant to have an exchange that could be not quite what I want. Remember my Ace signature PRS?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 18 2017, 02:41 AM
One of the great things about Fender guitars, as well as originally intended ideas by Leo Fender, is that you can change out the necks w/o too much trouble.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2017, 04:31 PM
Well, the guitar is currently on its way back to Fender UK wink.gif I had it tuned up a whole step plus a bit for a week and it made no difference. We set the action to something sensible and it was buzzing on the wound strings from the 5th to 9th fret. Even the G string buzzed a little bit.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 27 2017, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 27 2017, 03:31 PM) *
Well, the guitar is currently on its way back to Fender UK wink.gif I had it tuned up a whole step plus a bit for a week and it made no difference. We set the action to something sensible and it was buzzing on the wound strings from the 5th to 9th fret. Even the G string buzzed a little bit.

Atleast unlike the ace this one was returned easier and you also got a taste of a nice Tele tone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 29 2017, 07:30 AM
Hopefully the replacement will be as sweet smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 29 2017, 09:37 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 29 2017, 06:30 AM) *
Hopefully the replacement will be as sweet smile.gif

Oh so there's already something on the way? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 29 2017, 01:36 PM
Well my friend is sending it straight back to Fender. They'll either swap the neck or the whole guitar. To give them something to think about I've told him to tell them that I want to put a set of 7s on it.

He said that they usually say that these problems are because it's based on a '53 model and if they didn't stick to tradition, the purists would moan like hell. I said "but they don't mind S1 switching?" laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:25 AM