The Book Of 5 Rings - Gorin No Sho
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 01:16 PM
Instructor
Well, since I got into the martial arts field, I have started studying famous books written by the masters of the olden times. And what book would be best to start with, other than 'The book of 5 rings' written by the founder of the technique I am studying myself? Miyamoto Musashi was a brilliant person - master swordsman - actually it is said he was the greatest that ever lived, strategist, painter and poet. No wonder that a guy like him could have such a broad vision and understanding of things!

Gorin No Sho - The Book of 5 Rings, is a strategy book at its roots, but it deals with life and makes a lot of interesting parallels with everything surrounding us, in such a way that if a person takes some time to extrapolate and apply his teachings in modern life and reality, his/ her life would be a lot nicer and better.

Now, reading Musashi doesn't mean you need to pick up a sword and start training day and night (although this was his fervent preaching), but for instance, from his saying - 'From one thing, come to know 10000 things' we can realize the similarities which can be drawn between various fields of activities, conceptually speaking. For me, being acquainted with playing the guitar, has provided a big advantage once I picked up the sword - I am armed with the patience, attention to detail, focus and willingness to practice constantly, which I acquired only because I've been friends with the 6 stringed instrument.

Or from 'Everything is difficult at first' we come to realize that it takes practice to transform something into second nature - just like with playing the guitar. I think that all of us here could draw A LOT of benefits GUITAR/ MUSIC wise, just by taking the time to read his book, not only with our eyes but with our minds as well.

If you want to find out more, just click here: The Book Of 5 Rings

I for one am addicted smile.gif So why not give it yourself a try?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 5 2012, 01:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 5 2012, 03:34 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I read "The Lord of the Rings" a couple of times, does this help me in any way when it comes to martial arts? wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 04:22 PM
Instructor
tongue.gif I don't know laugh.gif

You might become good at shooting the bow like Legolas, right? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 5 2012, 04:27 PM
Hehe, I should give it a try ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2012, 04:42 PM
Instructor
It's crazy how many times he says - 'You must practice constantly/ You must practice hardly/ You must practice assiduously....' laugh.gif

I feel almost like he will kick my b..t if I don't practice laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 5 2012, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 5 2012, 11:42 PM
GMC:er
This is the book that I mentioned in that really long thread I did "The Way is Training" a while back and it's AWESOME! I included a great documentary in the post as well that goes in to the books history. CHeck the vid out if you get a chance! The thread ended being worth of framing smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=597904

Here is the documentary. Long but worth a watch for any budding Samurai, or Shredder. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2012, 08:16 AM) *
Well, since I got into the martial arts field, I have started studying famous books written by the masters of the olden times. And what book would be best to start with, other than 'The book of 5 rings' written by the founder of the technique I am studying myself? Miyamoto Musashi was a brilliant person - master swordsman - actually it is said he was the greatest that ever lived, strategist, painter and poet. No wonder that a guy like him could have such a broad vision and understanding of things!

Gorin No Sho - The Book of 5 Rings, is a strategy book at its roots, but it deals with life and makes a lot of interesting parallels with everything surrounding us, in such a way that if a person takes some time to extrapolate and apply his teachings in modern life and reality, his/ her life would be a lot nicer and better.

Now, reading Musashi doesn't mean you need to pick up a sword and start training day and night (although this was his fervent preaching), but for instance, from his saying - 'From one thing, come to know 10000 things' we can realize the similarities which can be drawn between various fields of activities, conceptually speaking. For me, being acquainted with playing the guitar, has provided a big advantage once I picked up the sword - I am armed with the patience, attention to detail, focus and willingness to practice constantly, which I acquired only because I've been friends with the 6 stringed instrument.

Or from 'Everything is difficult at first' we come to realize that it takes practice to transform something into second nature - just like with playing the guitar. I think that all of us here could draw A LOT of benefits GUITAR/ MUSIC wise, just by taking the time to read his book, not only with our eyes but with our minds as well.

If you want to find out more, just click here: The Book Of 5 Rings

I for one am addicted smile.gif So why not give it yourself a try?

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 5 2012, 11:44 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor
As I have said in your thread, I have watched the documentary a few months ago and I discovered stuff out of there as well. You know, it's much more TV oriented tongue.gif But the book....THE BOOK man biggrin.gif Read it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 6 2012, 10:29 AM
Instructor
I've wanted to read this book for a long time but apparently there's many translations so it's easy to get a bad one instead of a good one.. not sure which one to get. Same situation as 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu. Another classic but beware of bad translations. Sounds like you got a good one though ! smile.gif

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 5 2012, 03:34 PM) *
I read "The Lord of the Rings" a couple of times, does this help me in any way when it comes to martial arts? wink.gif

Well I would say that reading the Lord of the Rings is a good display of patience and determination so yes, I would say you have the right qualities !!

Not to mention that you've already dedicated yourself to guitar... and done quite well !! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 6 2012, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 10:30 AM
Instructor
Got both from my Sensei, so I think he has the good ones tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 6 2012, 02:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 5 2012, 11:42 AM) *
It's crazy how many times he says - 'You must practice constantly/ You must practice hardly/ You must practice assiduously....' laugh.gif

I feel almost like he will kick my b..t if I don't practice laugh.gif

A man after my own Heart! : )

At the end of all my youtube videos, I'd always end with 'PRACTICE!!!!!".

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 6 2012, 02:56 AM) *
As I have said in your thread, I have watched the documentary a few months ago and I discovered stuff out of there as well. You know, it's much more TV oriented tongue.gif But the book....THE BOOK man biggrin.gif Read it wink.gif

My bad! I forgot all about the fact that we actually discussed the documentary sad.gif Sorry about that.

You nailed on on the TV bit, it's a great documentary but it pales to the book of five rings itself!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2012, 03:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 6 2012, 01:42 PM) *
A man after my own Heart! : )

At the end of all my youtube videos, I'd always end with 'PRACTICE!!!!!".

My bad! I forgot all about the fact that we actually discussed the documentary sad.gif Sorry about that.

You nailed on on the TV bit, it's a great documentary but it pales to the book of five rings itself!

No problem mate and yes, indeed it does biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 6 2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for sharing this documentation, I will be in the USA next week to play a show at the Prog Power Festival in Atlanta and I am sure that my Jetlag will offer me a good opportunity to watch it ;-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 07:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 6 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Thanks for sharing this documentation, I will be in the USA next week to play a show at the Prog Power Festival in Atlanta and I am sure that my Jetlag will offer me a good opportunity to watch it ;-)

Cool! Marcus, if you get the time and the necessary state of mind, read the book! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 7 2012, 08:05 AM
Do you know if there is a version for the kindle? I will check this later.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 7 2012, 07:05 AM) *
Do you know if there is a version for the kindle? I will check this later.

Well, it is available on Amazon! I know because I was searching for it before my sensei gave it to me smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:12 AM