Line 6 Toneport Question
Ctodd
Jun 22 2008, 02:18 AM
GMC:er
Hi Ivan,

I read your review of it and I really am thinking about getting it, I just had a few questions.

What would you do to get effects? I see that it has alot of effects available (It didn't list them but just said "29 stompbox and studio effects (up to 10 at once))

The reason I ask this is because I already have a Line6 pocket POD.

When I get the toneport will I have any further need for the pocket pod?? Or would it be better to use a clean channel on the toneport, and use the effects from the pocket POD??

Or should I just leave the pocket pod out of the equation??

EDIT: Also I wanted to ask is it possible to output to my amp? or can I only hear what I am playing through headphones???

Thanks!

-Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Jun 22 2008, 02:26 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2008, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Hey man,

Of course, you can combine Toneport effects with any other unit. For example you can use distortion from POD, and add delay, flanger, phaser etc with Toneport. But generally, I use Toneport like this:

1. When I don't have the time to setup my rig, I just plug the guitar into TOneport and start recording with its Gearbox effects.
2. When I need better quality signal, I setup my rig (amp&pedals), and play through Toneport that is bypassed from effects.

So the choice is up to you. I think that POD and Gearbox have very similar effects, so it would not be good to use two digital processing units in one signal chain if you really don't have to. My point is when you use POD & Toneport singal goes twice through (not so good) AD/DA converters and gets more deteriated.

Outputting to guitar amp from Toneport is not a good solution because Toneport is a modelling device. Of course it is possible, but you will get much better sound with good quality regular speakers (hi-fi or audio monitors). This is because guitar speaker plays only certain frequencies that are suitable for guitar, and Toneport delivers sound in a wider spectrum in order to make the sounds. This is why generally modeller sound doesn't sound good in the mix, because certain frequencies are "false". They are not in the place that they should be and that is middle range. Guitar is sonically speaking, percussive middle range instrument.

Also good quality headphones are good for monitoring your sound.

Cheers smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jun 22 2008, 04:52 PM
GMC:er
Thanks alot, this was very helpful.

This sounds perfect for me, so I think I'm going to get it.

Thanks again!

-Chris

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 22 2008, 05:08 PM
Instructor
No problem man, glad to help smile.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:37 PM