Harrison Mixbus For $20!
Todd Simpson
May 2 2014, 05:43 AM
GMC:er
I just saw a promotion for HARRISON MIXBUS For $20. I just grabbed a copy smile.gif Folks are using it for as a summing mixer and for mastering since you can route from your daw (reaper etc.) and go through mixbux and take advantage of the tape saturatator plugin and the killer Harrison Analogue Modeling.

I realize this won't make sense to everyone. After all it's a DAW and you may be thinking "I use reaper? Why do I need this?" short answer is your probably fine without it smile.gif For folks with a bit more recording experience, under the belt, think of it as the digital version of a 2 track tape deck (a trick being used by wads of pricey studio/mastering folks to "warm up" the output of their daw)
Check this pic. All digital, but with the big antique two track deck smile.gif

TONY MIRO comes to mind smile.gif But he already has tools for such. Anyhoo, I bought it smile.gif I use LOGIC and REAPER. But for this price, it's cheaper than a plugin!!

http://www.rspeaudio.com/NO-BRAINER-DEAL-H...arrison-mix.htm

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Saoirse O'Shea
May 2 2014, 10:11 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I don't really know their DAW but Harrison make some very well respected large format professional consoles so if the eq and compressors are as good as they are on the hardware consoles it would be worth a look.

I think mixbus may be Mac only - or at least it was when it first came out - worth a look for those on Macs.

Personally I'm happy using sadie as our daw. I already go out to analogue mastering hardware so can put an analogue vibe in to masters that way rather than have to do tape saturation but for those who can't it's something worth looking at if used carefully. I can even choose what sort of analgoue vibe I want by switching between hardware - Neve or valve eq, VCA or opto and so on. Analogue summing - well there's lots of debate as to whether or not it's worth it...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 2 2014, 11:31 AM
Seems its been updated quite a bit since released, as I understand it opens 3.rd party plug-ins too today so I can consider it a nice DAW option (was more of a coloring tool when first released).

I know some hates Reaper for its looks or workflow. I didn't demo it but from what I read it should work very nice for recordings aimed for this site or demo songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 2 2014, 01:42 PM
The new version does run on Windows so that's a plus for anone wanting to look at it.

The downside is that it still doesn't support midi or vsti's.

Also, with regard to mastering there doesn't seem to be any info as to whether or not it can produce frame accurate PQ.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 4 2014, 11:43 PM
I think Mixbus is super rad. Hate it when people do the "well. . .it doesn't do XXXX" when in actuality I don't think it's the purpose.

But its a solid concept, it's executed pretty well and it will only get better as it adds features people beg for.

for 20 bux, I think everyone should pop on it.

I do like the idea of reaper into mixbus. Anyone use it this way?

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 2 2014, 12:42 PM) *
The new version does run on Windows so that's a plus for anone wanting to look at it.

The downside is that it still doesn't support midi or vsti's.

Also, with regard to mastering there doesn't seem to be any info as to whether or not it can produce frame accurate PQ.

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 5 2014, 10:39 AM
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 4 2014, 10:43 PM) *
... Hate it when people do the "well. . .it doesn't do XXXX" when in actuality I don't think it's the purpose.

I kind of agree SeeJay. Ultimately I would see mixbus as more a recording, which also has some very good mixing ablities - including 2 bus and summing - orientated daw. In those terms it's well worth a look but many people however don't read the specs or check out demos before they buy especially when something is on offer.

The lack of support for vsti's and midi will be a big thing for many as many see these as synonimous with a mixing daw. WRT to not doing PQs - that's a big issue if you do master physical CDs, which I do a lot, as a replication plant will be likely to reject the PMCD without it. If a client has paid you to master their album they would be rightly annoyed if it was sent back by the plant for this reason. Whilst ultimately mastering may not be the purpose of the mixbus their PR team should not promote it as capable of doing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2014, 03:11 AM
Probably not the best pro option at this point, but for $20, given all it can do it seemed like a no brainer smile.gif

For folks doing stuff on their own, at home, it can help out quite a bit. There are vids on yotube showing how to route from reaper in to mixbus for "summing". For real "mastering" I'd say send out to a pro, but for home mastering, this kind of thing is cheap and handy smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 5 2014, 05:39 AM) *
I kind of agree SeeJay. Ultimately I would see mixbus as more a recording, which also has some very good mixing ablities - including 2 bus and summing - orientated daw. In those terms it's well worth a look but many people however don't read the specs or check out demos before they buy especially when something is on offer.

The lack of support for vsti's and midi will be a big thing for many as many see these as synonimous with a mixing daw. WRT to not doing PQs - that's a big issue if you do master physical CDs, which I do a lot, as a replication plant will be likely to reject the PMCD without it. If a client has paid you to master their album they would be rightly annoyed if it was sent back by the plant for this reason. Whilst ultimately mastering may not be the purpose of the mixbus their PR team should not promote it as capable of doing it.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 6 2014, 03:13 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:48 AM