Idea For A Part Of Wiki, a quick guide for guitarists
Gus
Mar 27 2008, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

There is something I've been looking for since I started going seriously into guitar again (3 years ago).

When we first hear about a guitarist name, we don't want to know his full history (something we can find in Wikipedia or his personal site). All we want to see is a couple of songs where the named guitarist shows its mastery.

I am really open minded and always looking to know more guitarists, but simply there are to many out there to know. So it would be nice to have a place where we can find quick info about guitarists we don't know yet.
As latest example, I just recently listened first time to Steve Ray Vaughan... (yes just recently!) Currently my favorite song of his is Cold Shot, and that song is not even mentioned in wikipedia...

So, the quick guide would be something like "3 reasons to hear to ..."
(I think it should be limited the amount of songs, so it is a quick guide).
One example (not complete).

3 reasons to hear to Slash.
November rain - quick description of the guitar work in this song (also technical)
Sweet child o'mine - quick description of the guitar work in this song (also technical)
Patience - quick description of the guitar work in this song (also technical)

That's all for an entry: just give 3 songs and describe them quickly.
If there is openness to this kind of content, I can write a few articles directly in the Wiki to show what I mean.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gus: Mar 27 2008, 07:27 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2008, 08:02 PM
GMC Founder
Cool idea! smile.gif So perhaps putting a page together that sais "guitarist quick guide" ?

We do have a couple of cool guitarist articles already - but if I get your point that's not really what you are looking for?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 27 2008, 08:10 PM
smikey likes it smikey likes it....

and now that im done being the life cereal commercial.. i think this is a great idea.. articles like these are easy to put together and can walk hand in hand with full guitarist wiki articles.. example

"see Gus G Wiki or
Get a quick shot of Gus G"

one is long boring analysis and history

the other mentions his style, his bands, and a few samples smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 27 2008, 10:05 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Sounds good!

We could even add links to the 3 songs on youtube smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Mar 27 2008, 10:25 PM
One of my strange little quirks (there are many unsure.gif ) is that I like to make lists.
I am currently making a list of the greatest rock guitarist in an excel sheet and I'm attaching youtube and wikipedia links to each one.

Wow, doesn't my life sound fun...

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 28 2008, 02:57 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2008, 08:02 PM) *
Cool idea! smile.gif So perhaps putting a page together that sais "guitarist quick guide" ?

We do have a couple of cool guitarist articles already - but if I get your point that's not really what you are looking for?

Yes, on the more complete article, it could have a link to the quick guide (or even embedded article). But the idea is really to make the quick guide article very small, really focusing on the song samples.

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:10 PM) *
"see Gus G Wiki or
Get a quick shot of Gus G"

Yes, something like that. By the way, Gus is really the begin of my name (Gustavo). But yes Gus G is really amazing. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Mar 28 2008, 03:14 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Mar 29 2008, 06:47 PM
Instructor
It just a cool idea wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:14 AM