Alternate Picking Superstar
Huargo
Jun 2 2020, 02:05 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi guys!
Do you know Sierra Hull?
 She is a Mandoline Player with a exquisite technique.
He seems to be doing alternative picking all the time and sometimes he seems to be doing circle picking to speed up.
Any mandoline player in the house?

I leave you some videos for your comfort smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Huargo: Jun 2 2020, 02:58 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jun 2 2020, 03:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think it's the same for all players who play this kind of string instruments.

Hammer-ons, or pull-offs are not an option.

Alternate picking is the only way in order for all the notes to come out loud and clear.

Here is a video of Manolis Karantinis, a master bouzouki player from Greece.

He can easily shred with only alterante picking.

https://youtu.be/T0R-aVwqjXs

Another legend is Manolis Chiotis, who was admired by Jimy Hendrix for his playing.

Years before "shreding"was a thing, he was a shredder!

https://youtu.be/Rul2IA8Qy_A?t=136

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 2 2020, 03:41 PM
Learning Roadie
I started playing mandolin a few years ago.
Definitely in bluegrass it is very strict in the playing alternate picking down on the 'number beats' up on the 'and' beats. So when there are hammers and pulloffs the hand doesn't stop going up and down.

Check out Andy Wood he didn't start playing guitar until his late teens, starting on Mandolin at an early age.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jun 2 2020, 06:26 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jun 2 2020, 03:12 PM) *
I think it's the same for all players who play this kind of string instruments.

Hammer-ons, or pull-offs are not an option.

Alternate picking is the only way in order for all the notes to come out loud and clear.

Here is a video of Manolis Karantinis, a master bouzouki player from Greece.

He can easily shred with only alterante picking.

https://youtu.be/T0R-aVwqjXs

Another legend is Manolis Chiotis, who was admired by Jimy Hendrix for his playing.

Years before "shreding"was a thing, he was a shredder!

https://youtu.be/Rul2IA8Qy_A?t=136

Yes!
This guys are super rad. I like tbe sound of the bouzouki.
Thanks for the videos.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 2 2020, 03:41 PM) *
I started playing mandolin a few years ago.
Definitely in bluegrass it is very strict in the playing alternate picking down on the 'number beats' up on the 'and' beats. So when there are hammers and pulloffs the hand doesn't stop going up and down.

Check out Andy Wood he didn't start playing guitar until his late teens, starting on Mandolin at an early age.

I definitely have to look for some bluegrass music!
Any recommendation?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 2 2020, 07:44 PM
Learning Roadie
This is one of the pieces that got me into the mandolin

Nickel Creek are a nice easy way of getting into Modern bluegrass with some pop leanings (Chris Thile is an alien, he is like the Guthrie Govern of Mandolin)

Every modern/ young player nods to Sam Bush as their hero, his right hand is unbelievable, I can't find a real show off video of him

For Guitarists Billy Strings

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2020, 04:16 AM
GMC:er
I was born in Kentucky which is the home of Bluegrass music so I was practically raised with it. I got a mandolin several years ago and it was much harder than it looked for sure. I've watched alll these great players at local fairs and such when I was growing up and great players really do make it look easy, just like on guitar. I'm a big fan of alternate picking and bluegrass music and I still cant play anywhere close to what these people are doing. It's a difficult instrument imho. Feels like playing the high frets on a 12 string guitar. Lots of tension, every strike is two strings instead of one, vibrato is much more difficult and hammer ons/pull offs are way more tricky. Some great vids!

Here is Union Station playing live with a very young Sierra Hull way back in the day. Sierra comes in about 2 minutes. She looks about 15 in this video and she is already an amazing mandolin player. That classical bit she played is nearly impossible to do at that level unless one has played forever, which she has smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 2 2020, 02:44 PM) *

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 3 2020, 09:36 AM
Learning Roadie
If there is an instrument that is essential to have a correct set up it's a mandolin

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 3 2020, 03:02 PM
Instructor
She is like the Paul Gilbert mandolin version.. laugh.gif

Precise picking!! This pose makes me think on this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 05:59 AM
GMC:er
Notice the very quick shift in hand angle as he traverses up sometimes? He needs to keep up pick pressure as he's striking two strings as one, and needs to keep power even across strings. If they slow down really good mandoline players on vid like this, you notice some very similar things in playing as there are only so many ways to get these results which pushes adapting players towards similar technique. Since hammer on/pull offs can't be leveraged to the degree they can on a regular electric, it almost requires a uniformity of technique for certain things like brisk alt picking on mandolin. I still can't play this well on mandolin and I"ve worked on it for years. IT's soooooo darn different to briskly alt pick on mandolin than on guitar. You have to commit soo much more power to each strike, can't fake it with hammer ons/pull offs, when you miss a strike, etc. So each missed strike sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a great way to build serious hand power though.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 3 2020, 10:02 AM) *
She is like the Paul Gilbert mandolin version.. laugh.gif

Precise picking!! This pose makes me think on this video:

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jun 9 2020, 05:47 PM
Tone Seeker
Hey guys!
Thank you for the recommendations
I go for it!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:57 PM