> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2016, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Great job! So the current routine is:

DAY 1:

- Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
- Legato (20 minutes)
- Song analysis (20 minutes)
- Learn a new lick and improvise with it over a backing track. (15 minutes)

DAY 2:

- Fast rhythm (15 minutes)
- Bending & vibrato (15 minutes)
- Song analysis (15 minutes)

DAY 3:

- Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
- Legato (20 minutes)
- Song analysis (20 minutes)

DAY 4:

- Fast rhythm (15 minutes)
- Bending & vibrato (15 minutes)
- Song analysis (15 minutes)

How is your work on the lessons? It would be good to hear you playing the lessons that you are practising to see if we can renew some of them.

Regarding the song analysis, I think that it's something that you should continue doing, however, I think that you can start applying the concepts analysed to the plan is to dedicate days 1 and 2 to work on your own song based on using the elements you've learnt from the songs that you've analysed. And then dedicate days 3 and 4 to analyse new songs.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Apr 27 2016, 06:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Well...due to the massive amount of school work this semester, I haven`t been able to follow the plan as structured as I would, but more like an outline the days I actually have time to play.

My alternate picking and legato stamina have increasing I think.
I am about to make a REC-take for this one this week :https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato-stamina/
I actually nailed it earlier today, but fucked up several times as soon as I got on tape, and it is quite demanding for me tongue.gif

I can also try to make a REC-take for some AP-lessons.

For my vibrato/bending, I gotta admit I have not practised that heard. Guess I don`t know exactly what my weakest point is, so I guess I should do some REC/cover-stuff here as well.

As for the plan ahead, dividing the song alaysis 50/50 beetween applying stuff, and learning new stuff, seems like a good idea! A bit more fresh approach smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2016, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Great! Everything sounds good for me. I'll be waiting for your REC takes to see how to continue. I'm also curious to hear your first new compositions...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Apr 29 2016, 10:39 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 29 2016, 01:36 PM) *
Great! Everything sounds good for me. I'll be waiting for your REC takes to see how to continue. I'm also curious to hear your first new compositions...

At the moment, I don`t have access to midi keyboard...or a decent computer for recordings, so I guess the only stuff I would be able to record, are guitar parts, if that would be tolerable?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2016, 11:36 PM
Instructor
Sure! Feel free to share it here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
May 11 2016, 02:00 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Phui....super busy period at school with project deadlines and exam reading recently which have left without the necessary energy to do something fun when I come home. This will unfortunately also last two more weeks...

However, I have been able to make to REC-takes, probably coming up tonight. I am writing on some stuff, but nothing to present yet.

Also, long story short, I am without an electric guitar for the next 6 weeks starting on Friday, meaning only a semi crap acoustic guitar, but that might lead more room to songwriting:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2016, 05:29 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to hear from you!

Life sometimes makes things more difficult but keep going! You'll find the way to do what you love doing. Just stay positive and thinking on it.

I'll wait for your updates.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
May 11 2016, 10:35 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alright, update on AP-technique is uploaded as a REC. Legato-lesson is still uploading, so editing that tomorrow.

edit: And legato is also up!

Any suggestion how to maintain most "playability" in my hands on the nylon string guitar the next weeks? Maybe change thing up completely? Speed is not the main concern anyway, more like a fun tool to maintain

This post has been edited by mhskeide: May 12 2016, 05:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2016, 12:00 AM
Instructor
Cool! I'll check the REC takes. About playing on nylon guitar, maybe you can check out lessons archive, there are many lessons for this guitar which are demanding for both hands so it can be a great extra training, and a way to learn new stuff...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-les...oustic-lessons/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 15 2017, 07:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
And from the ashes he rise!...

Jokes aside: I`m back again, but I have lost count of how many times I`ve said that. Long story short: It`s been a couple of months where time has been short, and energy and motivation have not worked together when it comes to guitar playing.

but now it is a new year with new possibilities and fresh motivation!

I have recorden a REC which I will be putting together tomorrow or Tuesday, and I did this little composition today which I will try to come up with lyrics to while taking a walk.

I like the chorus, but overall I feel that the song might be repeating the C#m-sound a bit too much. I might add that I wrote this by ear, not by theory, if that makes sense. I`d be glad to here some feedback Cheers smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  sundayjam_150117.mp3 ( 3.78MB ) Number of downloads: 112

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2017, 04:18 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, nice to hear from you here!

You are back with new music, that's great. smile.gif

I like your idea, the chords sound deep and the groove is melancholic as the progression suggests it. It's difficult to judge the structure without having melodies and lyrics on this one. At this point I wouldn't do important changes. Once you have the melody, you can apply the chords functions concept and do some harmonic changes to make it less predictable. However, there are lots of songs that repeat the same 3 chords and that are magical, so let's see what happens with the vocal melodies.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 12 2017, 10:11 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
No melody for the previous chord-song, but I`ve written something new complete with lyrics and melody which I`ll upload when it is ready.

Meanwhile, I have started a long needed work on my vibrato. first take: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p=0&#entry0

As of from here and out: I`m writing my master thesis now. I`ll be able to play for 2-3 hours some days, and then maybe only needling (no serious exercising) for 2-3 days.

My suggestion for a plan updated would be:

5-20 minutes of warming up and general picking stuff. Both speed and technique included here.

20 minutes of work on either a specific technique (in need of work) or solo/GMC-video, so not necessarily legato every other day and so on.

10-20 minutes of learning or writing something new. Licks, riffs, solos, chord progressions. whatever.

And for extra time, I`ll just spend time on what I feel like spending it on for that day.

What do you think about that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2017, 12:14 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, great stuff.

I'll check the take at REC in a moment. The plan sounds good. I would use some time to analyze some music. It can be a song, a part of a song, a solo, a part of a solo or a lick. Transcribe it, learn it, and analyze the theory behind it. Then, try to apply it in your own music / improvisations. The routine is ok, but it's more focused on technique, while I think that more time for repertoire, theory and music analysis can be helpful.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 15 2017, 12:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 14 2017, 12:14 AM) *
Hi mate, great stuff.

I'll check the take at REC in a moment. The plan sounds good. I would use some time to analyze some music. It can be a song, a part of a song, a solo, a part of a solo or a lick. Transcribe it, learn it, and analyze the theory behind it. Then, try to apply it in your own music / improvisations. The routine is ok, but it's more focused on technique, while I think that more time for repertoire, theory and music analysis can be helpful.

Thanks for the input. I agree regarding a bit much focus on technique. I guess it is easier to sit down with a metronome and just practise, rather than analyzing songs which I might find harder. I`ll try to adjust it some!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 15 2017, 01:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 15 2017, 08:36 AM) *
Thanks for the input. I agree regarding a bit much focus on technique. I guess it is easier to sit down with a metronome and just practise, rather than analyzing songs which I might find harder. I`ll try to adjust it some!

Great! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 4 2017, 10:16 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 15 2017, 01:39 PM) *
Great! wink.gif

so, while practising technique, analyzing songs and trying to write my own stuff: How do you suggest I take best advantage of the mentor program to develop more efficient? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2017, 06:25 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

There are two big things on that suggestion. The first one is song analysis. For this, I recommend you to write down a list of 10/15 songs that you like, get a notepad, and start analysing one at a time. The analysis should include: song structure, arrangements details (what's happening), and the theory behind it (scales and chords). You can share the results here to let me check if there is anything missing. Once you finish a song, remark or write down the most relevant elements found, or those that captures your attention.

Regarding writing your own music. The first step could be to create a library of ideas. You could have a folder with some sub-folders to label ideas by licks, chord progressions,or if you prefer any other labels like style, feel, mood, etc. The idea is that you get back to this ideas from time to time to see if you can continue them. As soon as you advance in the song analysis, you'll have more elements and tools to give this ideas a full song shape.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Mar 7 2017, 10:00 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 5 2017, 06:25 PM) *
Hi mate,

There are two big things on that suggestion. The first one is song analysis. For this, I recommend you to write down a list of 10/15 songs that you like, get a notepad, and start analysing one at a time. The analysis should include: song structure, arrangements details (what's happening), and the theory behind it (scales and chords). You can share the results here to let me check if there is anything missing. Once you finish a song, remark or write down the most relevant elements found, or those that captures your attention.

Regarding writing your own music. The first step could be to create a library of ideas. You could have a folder with some sub-folders to label ideas by licks, chord progressions,or if you prefer any other labels like style, feel, mood, etc. The idea is that you get back to this ideas from time to time to see if you can continue them. As soon as you advance in the song analysis, you'll have more elements and tools to give this ideas a full song shape.

Awesome, thanks for the input! I have barely started on somethng similar to the library that you suggest. but I need to get better routines for revisiting it and pickup up old ideas.

As for analysing: Is any song too simple, or should I just share whatever I do (for a time at least), and maybe you can point out some stuff that I`ve missed even in the simple ones?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 7 2017, 10:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 7 2017, 06:00 PM) *
Awesome, thanks for the input! I have barely started on somethng similar to the library that you suggest. but I need to get better routines for revisiting it and pickup up old ideas.

As for analysing: Is any song too simple, or should I just share whatever I do (for a time at least), and maybe you can point out some stuff that I`ve missed even in the simple ones?

Sure! Share everything!

And about the ideas. try to progress the more possible. Sometimes, I connect two original ideas with a thief from a known lesson if it works, just to see the song progress and be completed. Then, I get back to the part from another song and re-work it. I share this just to say that it's very important to avoid getting stacked too much on an idea. It's important to let it flow... even if there are some part that aren't cool enough, these uncool parts can be the reason why the great parts appear... the secret is keep moving.

I hope that it makes sense.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 3 2017, 09:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alrighty, I`m about to call myself established in a new city now, and will try to get back at the guitar properly!

I sit down with the acoustic now and then, but it has been a long while since I practiced with any structure, so I think for the next weeks I will focus on doing covers and technique exercises, such that I can regain my old technique level at least.

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:27 PM