Squeaky Sound, High E string squeak
Hajduk
Sep 10 2013, 06:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just noticed on my guitar that one particular spot 10 th fret high E string the string rubs on the fret and makes a squeaky sound! That's without me hitting a note just bending string ohmy.gif Does this happen to anyone else??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Sep 10 2013, 07:21 PM
GMC:er
Maybe your bend is choking out on the fret, that happens when the fret is either lower or the next fret higher than its sides, my bends choke out on the higher frets, like 22nd fret high E string, 23rd fret G string and 19th fret B string, I'm gonna get those levelled next time I go to the tech smile.gif

Another more common thing is truss rod being bent outwards, but since you're getting that on one fret only, I can't say smile.gif I have limited experience setting up guitars

don't try to level the frets yourself, you may end up removing more material than needed, especially if your frets are a softer material like nickel tongue.gif I've got stainless steel frets, they're almost indestructible on normal use laugh.gif

So your best bet is to show it to a tech/luthier. If its not too much squeakiness (if you don't mind it), no need to worry about it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Sep 10 2013, 07:23 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2013, 07:26 PM
Instructor
yeah, this can happen. Are your strings old?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Sep 10 2013, 07:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks guys for response! About a month and a half, and I have been beating the hell out of them smile.gif lots of playing. Never touched the truss Rodd either, first time this has happened, will change strings later on today and see if it still happens, the frets are stainless steel as well.

and only at 10th fret of high E! every other fret on the E string is fine??

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Sep 10 2013, 07:51 PM
GMC:er
If the sound is nothing major, there's a big chance it'll go away on changing the strings, but don't expect it to go away all of a sudden, when you put on new strings, let them sit on the guitar for a day, and play the guitar as you normally would, stretch the strings too. After a day, if the sound is still there, put a cloth on the fret, take something blunt and solid, like a wooden block (my tech has a special not so hard hammer for this), and gently hammer down on the fret. It may be that the fret popped out from the wood just a bit, and that is pretty easy to fix smile.gif hammering down on stainless steel frets with wood and a cloth in between won't hurt the fret, don't worry smile.gif just be gentle

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Sep 10 2013, 07:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Sep 10 2013, 06:51 PM) *
If the sound is nothing major, there's a big chance it'll go away on changing the strings, but don't expect it to go away all of a sudden, when you put on new strings, let them sit on the guitar for a day, and play the guitar as you normally would, stretch the strings too. After a day, if the sound is still there, put a cloth on the fret, take something blunt and solid, like a wooden block (my tech has a special not so hard hammer for this), and gently hammer down on the fret. It may be that the fret popped out from the wood just a bit, and that is pretty easy to fix smile.gif hammering down on stainless steel frets with wood and a cloth in between won't hurt the fret, don't worry smile.gif just be gentle

Thanks Sam, will do!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:31 AM