2 Pages V   1 2 >  
1/2 Step Tuning?, help please
GuitarStar997
Nov 8 2008, 06:51 PM
GMC:er
hey how do you tune down a half step?? i want to figure it out so i can play a lot more songs out there
somebody please explain, thanx

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Nov 8 2008, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Just tune all strings one interval down smile.gif

It will be:

1. - Eb
2. - Bb
3. - Gb
4. - Db
5. - Ab
6. - Eb

If you don't have chromatic tuner, start with 1st string and tune it to 4th fret of 2nd string, and so on.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 8 2008, 07:06 PM
Instructor
I don't usually tune down my guitar if I want to play the song which is 1/2 step down. Instead I use software called "Transcribe" which can tune any song up to 4 half steps without loss of quality. You can do that in almost any recording software using plugins. That's much easier and quicker. Only when I play live I tune my guitar down (if I need to) so the sound is a bit more powerful and it also helps the singer if the song is really high for him.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 8 2008, 07:10 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Also leave your tuner set at 440hz

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 8 2008, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Couple of methods you can use

Like Emir mentioned, you can use "Transcribe" and it will shift the pitch of the song.
However if you want to tune your guitar I recommend two ways.

Using digital tuner . This is where Dejan's post kicks in. You need to tune every note down a half step so you would get Eb Bb Gb Dd Ab and Eb.

Another good way is to listen to the song and tune your guitar to it ! Van Halen is playing in Eb tuning also G'N"R stuff (Don't cry for example) etc

Hope this helps

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Nov 8 2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor
Launch Guitar Pro and add a new instrument and there you chan choose tuning of it. Then just play an oper strings in Guitar pro and tune your guitar to it

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 8 2008, 08:39 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You could start by tuning down the A string. Fret a G# on the E string and tune your A string to that. Then you just keep that and tune all the others strings to it. F ex.

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 8 2008, 10:20 PM
Depending on your guitar going for an alternative tuning may need different setup (or string gauges or both). Specially if you have a floyd rose.

I leave my Ibanez always in Eb tuning, cause I like the way it plays like that.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 8 2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor
You can check out my tuning tutorial, I explained there briefly how to tune half step down. Hope it helps mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sondre
Nov 9 2008, 12:10 AM
I have problems tuning with my Floyd Rose bridge, do I need a different stringe gauge? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 9 2008, 12:30 AM
Instructor
You don't but you need to strengten the 3 springs on the back of your guitar body (under the plastic cover). Some guitars have 2 springs, some 5 but I hope you understand what I mean. Those springs keep the floyd rose on the right level. If you tune your guitar down, your floyd rose will go down as the springs don't produce enough strength to keep the floyd rose in the level (parallel with the body). There are 2 long screws that hold the springs, you can strenghten those and springs will get back to the position. You need to do it a couple of times and tune your guitar several times until you get the right result. That's why guitars wiht floyd rose are not really handy for frequent change of tuning. Fixed bridge is much easier. If I need 2 different tunings when I play live, I always take more guitars as it would take 20 minutes to retune a guitar with floyd rose.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 9 2008, 01:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sondre @ Nov 9 2008, 12:10 AM) *
I have problems tuning with my Floyd Rose bridge, do I need a different stringe gauge? sad.gif

What is exactly your problem with tuning mate? Are you experiencing constant detunings on current strings? How long is this happening? Did you change the string gauge recently?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sondre
Nov 9 2008, 01:08 AM
Emir hit the problem, because with the floyd rose, the tension from the string keeps the bridge up. So tuning one down (Like Drop-D) makes all the other ones go a litt out of tune. And then the dropped D goes out of tune after fixing the other ones. So I think I will just stay with standard tuning and wait for a second guitar to be bought (Want a gibson D: ) before I start with tuning. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 9 2008, 01:16 AM
QUOTE (Sondre @ Nov 9 2008, 01:08 AM) *
Emir hit the problem, because with the floyd rose, the tension from the string keeps the bridge up. So tuning one down (Like Drop-D) makes all the other ones go a litt out of tune. And then the dropped D goes out of tune after fixing the other ones. So I think I will just stay with standard tuning and wait for a second guitar to be bought (Want a gibson D: ) before I start with tuning. smile.gif

If you want to understand a little bit more about the subtle balance of a floyd rose guitar, check out this site:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

To have a proper setup of tension, everything shall meet: string gauge, string brand, number of springs, spring configuration, spring adjustment.

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 9 2008, 12:30 AM) *
Fixed bridge is much easier. If I need 2 different tunings when I play live, I always take more guitars as it would take 20 minutes to retune a guitar with floyd rose.

Not to scary or anything, but for someone with less experience, changing the tune in a floyd rose guitar is actually a hour or more of work. That's how I found myself one year ago

I do keep my guitar with 009 in Eb. If I ever decide to tune it back on E I will actually put 010 strings and an extra spring.

This post has been edited by Gus: Nov 9 2008, 01:19 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Nov 9 2008, 02:16 AM
It's really not that hard... but it's kind of a pain to do every day so I just practice tuned down songs without it and it still sounds fine. Except when I play it with the record... ugh.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Nov 9 2008, 04:33 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 8 2008, 01:06 PM) *
I don't usually tune down my guitar if I want to play the song which is 1/2 step down. Instead I use software called "Transcribe" which can tune any song up to 4 half steps without loss of quality. You can do that in almost any recording software using plugins. That's much easier and quicker. Only when I play live I tune my guitar down (if I need to) so the sound is a bit more powerful and it also helps the singer if the song is really high for him.

where can i find this transcribe program?

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 9 2008, 06:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (megadeth1117 @ Nov 9 2008, 03:33 AM) *
where can i find this transcribe program?

http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html

this is the link. If you have any good recording software like Cubase, Sonar or similar, you have a plugin that does the same thing. It's usually called "pitch change" or similar.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 9 2008, 06:53 AM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 9 2008, 12:30 AM) *
You don't but you need to strengten the 3 springs on the back of your guitar body (under the plastic cover). Some guitars have 2 springs, some 5 but I hope you understand what I mean. Those springs keep the floyd rose on the right level. If you tune your guitar down, your floyd rose will go down as the springs don't produce enough strength to keep the floyd rose in the level (parallel with the body). There are 2 long screws that hold the springs, you can strenghten those and springs will get back to the position. You need to do it a couple of times and tune your guitar several times until you get the right result. That's why guitars wiht floyd rose are not really handy for frequent change of tuning. Fixed bridge is much easier. If I need 2 different tunings when I play live, I always take more guitars as it would take 20 minutes to retune a guitar with floyd rose.

Exactly.

Some general mechanical knowledge is needed though, atleast I think so.
Most guys that I tried to teach this, said "huh" tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gus @ Nov 9 2008, 01:16 AM) *
If you want to understand a little bit more about the subtle balance of a floyd rose guitar, check out this site:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

To have a proper setup of tension, everything shall meet: string gauge, string brand, number of springs, spring configuration, spring adjustment.

Not to scary or anything, but for someone with less experience, changing the tune in a floyd rose guitar is actually a hour or more of work. That's how I found myself one year ago

I do keep my guitar with 009 in Eb. If I ever decide to tune it back on E I will actually put 010 strings and an extra spring.

1 extra spring is a no go, as it will be very unbalanced.

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Nov 9 2008, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 9 2008, 12:22 AM) *
http://www.seventhstring.com/index.html

this is the link. If you have any good recording software like Cubase, Sonar or similar, you have a plugin that does the same thing. It's usually called "pitch change" or similar.

This post has been edited by megadeth1117: Nov 9 2008, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 10 2008, 12:44 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (GuitarStar997 @ Nov 8 2008, 01:51 PM) *
hey how do you tune down a half step?? i want to figure it out so i can play a lot more songs out there
somebody please explain, thanx

If you don't have a chromatic tuner, a nice little trick is to use a capo, place it across the first fret then tune your guitar to standard tuning. Remove the capo and voila, you are tuned down one half step smile.gif

Plus you can put the capo back on and be in standard tuning, just remember to play in relation to the capo, so move everything up one fret (hope this made sense) I do this a fair bit with my acoustic smile.gif Makes switching tunings easy and quick.

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Nov 10 2008, 12:45 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:23 PM