Amt Ss-20 Recording
rhoads
Nov 3 2011, 06:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi guys !

I could really use your advice on a matter here smile.gif I bought myself a new toy this week. Actually, this makes all my other pedals look like toys smile.gif it is an AMT SS-20 guitar preamp. After doing some experiments with it I saw (heard actually) that is really sounds amazing. I can get guitar tones from BB King to Metallica smile.gif and this on my Fender Frontman 212 transistor amp. I hope I can try it next week on a Marshall biggrin.gif

Anyway, my problem is with recording. This preamp has 2 outputs: a normal one for going into the amp and cabinet emulated one for going in a mixer. The second one is supposed to give the same tone quality if you for example run it through a sound card. I don't know what I am doing wrong but in my case it doesn't sound good.

I have attached 3 samples so you see what I am talking about. In case any of you dealt with this pre-amp before:

AMT SS-20-emul-out-EMU0404: this is from SS-20 -> cab emulated output -> my EMU 0404 soundcard -> recorded with reaper

AMT SS-20-emul-out-Xenyx-SBAudigy: this is from SS-20 -> cab emul out -> my berhringer Xenix1024 mixer and into my normal sound card.
(recorded with windows sound recorder) this sound a little better that the first surprisingly..

AMT SS-20-emul-out-amp-mic: this is from the SS-20 -> the cabinet emul out -> Fender 212 return jack (to bypass the fender preamp) and recorded with a Shure Beta58A mic (not the 57 one)
Now I attached this one to so you can hear that the SS-20 sound good on the amplifier. It sound a lot better than now it was recorded of course and also it sound better than the first two variants.

Ok.. so if you were patient enough to read all this.. and listen the takes.. do you have any idea why it sound bad on the first two ? Or to you it sound good and there is a problem with my speakers smile.gif ? It can't be because the thirds recording sound better to me also..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AMT_SS_20_emul_out_EMU0404.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 400
Attached File  AMT_SS_20_emul_out_Xenyx_SBAudigy.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 317
Attached File  AMT_SS_20_emul_out_amp_mic.mp3 ( 992.86K ) Number of downloads: 304

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 4 2011, 06:13 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm no expert on this, but I can say there is no real substitute for a speaker pushing air, and thats why the mic'ed version sounds better. An analog electrical circuit cannot exactly replicate the physics of vibrating air molecules, although I'm not sure if the emulated out on the AMT is analog or digital. I personally think digital does a better job at replicating a speaker cab pushing air then an analog circuit designed to replicate the same thing. So you might want to try to find a software that replicates a speaker cab and use the AMT strictly as a preamp, without the emulated out.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 4 2011, 06:20 AM
GMC:er
Mudbone has a good point. It's hard to beat a speaker and a mic. That said, you can get decent recordings using emulation but it does take a bit of work. If you are liking the way the pedal sounds when recording directly (It sounds like your pedal isn't broken, just not sounding good enough for what you want). I'd say try a software solution for recording. For example, amplitude 3 is out now and there is free version. Also guitar rig (free version) and Overloud TH1 TH2 (free demo), get one or more and see if you can get the sound you want.

As far as using your specific pedal, I"ve never actually seen that model, but maybe someone else here has one?

+Quote Post
rhoads
Nov 4 2011, 08:48 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I am using Amplitube 3 for recording but, the idea is that all the reviews say that this pedal really emulates the sound of the speaker. This is what it is famous for from what I've heard. I have heard samples on youtube like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNmavG_5A8

I really hope that the pedal isn't broken unsure.gif . I will keep experimenting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DenisN
Nov 4 2011, 09:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Hej,

Ask Cosmin for some advice...he has this pedal too I think.

+Quote Post
rhoads
Nov 4 2011, 10:31 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DenisN @ Nov 4 2011, 08:08 AM) *
Hej,

Ask Cosmin for some advice...he has this pedal too I think.

I know, it's his reply that I am waiting biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 4 2011, 06:04 PM
Instructor
Hey Alex! Honestly speaking, I have played this pedal into my soundboard directly (the exact way in which I am recording lessons here at GMC) and played it live on stage using the amplifier's return.

It sounds better through the amp indeed, just because there's an amp speaker there to do the job. This little gizmo is very good, but it needs a little help from his friends tongue.gif a good combo would be a separate power amp and a cabinet which would make the AMT roar like hell.

But, you will obtain good results through your soundboard directly - oh, and one more thing smile.gif there's a VERY TINY switch on the pedal right between the knobs of the two channels - it has three positions! I keep mine set on the third position, rightmost meaning. That being said, for a heavy riffage tone, set the lead tone like this:

bass - 10 o clock, mids, 8 o clock, highs 1 o clock, gain 1 o clock biggrin.gif lead channel. You can also experiment with the crunch channel, by hitting the gain towards the max for a nice heavy tone, but cleaner than the one obtained through the lead channel smile.gif

Let me know how this works!

+Quote Post
rhoads
Nov 4 2011, 06:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for your answer Cosmin. I tried your setup and its a cool tone, but my problem is that in every tone that I dial (and you really can't go wrong with this gadget) there is a sszzszling sound. Kinda like the one that you have if you connect the amp output to your soundcard. Or like if you connect any kind of distortion stomp box directly to the soundcard. (a stomp box that does not have cab emulated output of course:)

Do you guys hear that sszzzling sound ? I don't know, maybe it's just my monitor speakers..
I keep comparing to this guy, whose tone is very CLEAN. And also to your videos where again there is no trace of that sound.

He says that is connected directly to the sound card.

By "clean" I without that buzzing, not the actual clean channel.

The really strange thing (that I noticed now) is that if I record something and play it thorough my normal speakers (some cheap CJC 2.1 sistem) that sszzzs sound isn't that noticeable anymore (but still present).

Maybe you can record a few seconds of riffage and post it here so I can compare. Again, maybe it is just my monitor speakers...

Thanks a lot !

Oh, and I noticed a small jack input on the left side of the preamp. Do you have any idea what is that for ? I don't find anything in the specs. (which are all in Russian btw, I had to search the English version on the net).

This post has been edited by rhoads: Nov 4 2011, 06:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 4 2011, 06:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rhoads @ Nov 4 2011, 05:41 PM) *
Thanks for your answer Cosmin. I tried your setup and its a cool tone, but my problem is that in every tone that I dial (and you really can't go wrong with this gadget) there is a sszzszling sound. Kinda like the one that you have if you connect the amp output to your soundcard. Or like if you connect any kind of distortion stomp box directly to the soundcard. (a stomp box that does not have cab emulated output of course:)

Do you guys hear that sszzzling sound ? I don't know, maybe it's just my monitor speakers..
I keep comparing to this guy, whose tone is very CLEAN. And also to your videos where again there is no trace of that sound.

He says that is connected directly to the sound card.

By "clean" I without that buzzing, not the actual clean channel.

The really strange thing (that I noticed now) is that if I record something and play it thorough my normal speakers (some cheap CJC 2.1 sistem) that sszzzs sound isn't that noticeable anymore (but still present).

Maybe you can record a few seconds of riffage and post it here so I can compare. Again, maybe it is just my monitor speakers...

Thanks a lot !

Oh, and I noticed a small jack input on the left side of the preamp. Do you have any idea what is that for ? I don't find anything in the specs. (which are all in Russian btw, I had to search the English version on the net).

Small jack? biggrin.gif oh my...what version is that - I DO NOT have any small jack biggrin.gif mine is almost 3 years old smile.gif

+Quote Post
rhoads
Nov 4 2011, 07:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 4 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Small jack? biggrin.gif oh my...what version is that - I DO NOT have any small jack biggrin.gif mine is almost 3 years old smile.gif

Great... I have a bad feeling of where this is going.

I guess it is the last version.. the guy told me that it is new. I don't understand nothing from the manual..
I attached some pics.

But I don't find it on the net. On their website there is no such jack.
http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpagess20.html

Btw, why it is amteletcronicsusa when this is made in Russia. Is your manual in Russian too ?

About the jack. I tried it and I can get a pretty good signal of Radio Guerrilla. On the clean channel it is nothing. On the crunch it can hear it on the left speaker and on the lead channel i hear it on the right channel.
At first I thought this is the same as the cab output but stereo for a small jack, but it seems that this also a nice radio to listen during the drums solo.

The thing is that this is not so funny for me because I paid 300E for it. Do you thing it could be a counterfeit ?

This post has been edited by rhoads: Nov 4 2011, 07:16 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 4 2011, 11:32 PM
Instructor
It looks more like my band mate's (Cezar) AMT, mine has the knobs a little different, but this one looks definitely new smile.gif I don't think it's counterfeit! You should talk to Horea Crishovan! The guitarist from Blazzaj - he is among the ppl responsible for creating this device, so he can tell you more than I can smile.gif I bought mine from him wink.gif add him on FB and he will surely respond smile.gif

QUOTE (rhoads @ Nov 4 2011, 06:14 PM) *
Great... I have a bad feeling of where this is going.

I guess it is the last version.. the guy told me that it is new. I don't understand nothing from the manual..
I attached some pics.

But I don't find it on the net. On their website there is no such jack.
http://amtelectronicsusa.com/productpagess20.html

Btw, why it is amteletcronicsusa when this is made in Russia. Is your manual in Russian too ?

About the jack. I tried it and I can get a pretty good signal of Radio Guerrilla. On the clean channel it is nothing. On the crunch it can hear it on the left speaker and on the lead channel i hear it on the right channel.
At first I thought this is the same as the cab output but stereo for a small jack, but it seems that this also a nice radio to listen during the drums solo.

The thing is that this is not so funny for me because I paid 300E for it. Do you thing it could be a counterfeit ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:53 AM