#35 Chromatic Scales For Precision And Endurance, Using Chromatic Scale shapes for Fun and Pleasure
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2018, 07:13 PM
GMC:er
INTRO
In this Quick Licks, we are going to play a VERY simple lick. I mean dead simple. It's the same notes on every string all the way up the strings. By now you should have a good handle on your ALTERNATE PICKING which will serve you well here. This is a basic chromatic scale which means that each note is just one half step or fret away from the last one. We are going to play four notes per string on each string of the guitar. I'm going to Demo this in one position, but you can play it anywhere on the guitar that you like, right after you play it in the right spot for your video submission smile.gif
You can also reverse the order of the notes, and indeed create your own chromatic workouts! Please do share this right after you play it once through as written. Keep a solid palm mute because if you don't this entire thing will turn in to MUSH. Each note must be muted right after it is struck to allow for the next notes. Per usual, there are no gaps. One gap and you will need to start fresh. So even though this is a simple bit, playing it correctly can be a challenge, especially at speed. DIG IN!!!
*Make sure to watch the vid!. It Contains the "Secret Sauce"

*NOTE: Pay Special attention your muting as each note has to be stopped just after it's struck.

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : Do not be thrown off if you can't shred this drill on the first try. If it was that easy, everyone would be yngwie. Give yourself some time to get to know this lick and you will be able to play with precision/speed in no time!

Attached Image

Attached File  35.gp5 ( 1.99K ) Number of downloads: 127

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 7 2018, 07:57 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 7 2018, 09:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Todd, Take 1 here for you. The last pass is the quickest, in between the first and last is a bit of a twist. Excuse the showing of thigh, it's real hot here at the moment tongue.gif

Thoughts and advice please. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/p5vaUSD_1as

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2018, 01:50 AM
The effort on this alone is worth the badge and the added aggression is worth probably two smile.gif You've got a good handle on chromatics and seem pretty natural at it. Your Alternate Picking is quite good here as well. The only gripe I have, and it's a small once since I'm guilty of it myself whenever my hand starts getting tired, is moving your entire hand up the strings when ascending and moving the hand down when descending. I actually do this very thing a bit in the intro to this videos which I just realized after watching it. I showed much better technique when I was going slow and kept my hand planted in the middle and just turned the angle of my hand to reach top and bottom strings.
That's the real goal of this workout. To be able to keep your hand planted firm on the bridge and just rotate the hand to reach the string you want to reach. This leaves the hand always at the ready for a mute or semi mute without having to re adjust hand position. Of course, if playing blues, this type of thing would be overkill, but learning to do it is a good idea as it can come in very handy during fast/proggy bits.

Give Multi Pick a try on this when you can as it changes the way the picking feels a bit.

As for this one, stick a fork in it, its done!!!
You just......
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Todd

I'd say move them all around the neck to get used to playing them in different positions.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 7 2018, 04:37 PM) *
Hello Todd, Take 1 here for you. The last pass is the quickest, in between the first and last is a bit of a twist. Excuse the showing of thigh, it's real hot here at the moment tongue.gif

Thoughts and advice please. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/p5vaUSD_1as

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 8 2018, 01:51 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2018, 09:54 AM
Thanks Todd, if you get chance can you give a more detailed video focusing on the picking hand not moving please.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2018, 01:15 AM
Sure thing! Watch my right hand where it's planted and see how it just changes angle rather than moving the entire arm. It's a closer shot. Let me know if this helps smile.gif This one technique is the TAO of Shred IMHO.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 8 2018, 04:54 AM) *
Thanks Todd, if you get chance can you give a more detailed video focusing on the picking hand not moving please.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 9 2018, 09:24 PM
I'm really struggling to keep my hand planted AND mute properly.
A picture is worth a thousand words as they say so please watch the video and advise.
I hope it's ok posting this separate exercise in here Todd. It's not the actual exercise, I'm just trying different things. Sorry it a little long but I thought you may spot something the more I gave you.

Cheers

Phil

https://youtu.be/JfUFrZ-tE0A

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2018, 04:56 AM
No Worries! Thanks for the vid! Always far more helpful to see what going on. i can spot one thing right away. your hand is mostly planted at the upper part of the bridge. take another look at the short vid i sent and notice where my hand is placed. it's more toward the center so that it's an equal reach to top and bottom. As your hands get tired you will find yourself moving the entire hand up. that lets you know you should give this a break for the day.

try to place your palm dead center so that you reach the same amount for high e and low e. also, work on articulatig with your thum and first finger. E.G. just pick say E D and G and only move the thumb/first finger to strike stem. i realize this is not easy. but it will make everything else quite a bit easier . Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 9 2018, 04:24 PM) *
I'm really struggling to keep my hand planted AND mute properly.
A picture is worth a thousand words as they say so please watch the video and advise.
I hope it's ok posting this separate exercise in here Todd. It's not the actual exercise, I'm just trying different things. Sorry it a little long but I thought you may spot something the more I gave you.

Cheers

Phil

https://youtu.be/JfUFrZ-tE0A

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 22 2018, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie

this lick also is'nt on the master thread if you want to add it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2018, 10:55 PM
Good catch! Added to master thread. As for your lick, NICE!!! This is a great way to work on picking precision. It's every single fret for four frets on every strings. So you can move it up and down the neck and really work on your endurance. Don't play to the point of pain!! If it hurts, STOP!!! But until then, it's an amazingly simple way to build up massive endurance. Endurance equals consistency. Being able to play at ones top ability for an extended period is what marks a truly fine musician. Most folks can only manage it in short chunks. That's normal of course. We don't start out being able to play at an insane pace for long periods. It's something that has to be earned and built up to. You show a great level of endurance here so I think you are well on your way. Nice!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 22 2018, 03:40 PM) *

this lick also is'nt on the master thread if you want to add it

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 18 2019, 05:24 AM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2019, 07:34 PM
NICE!! Like a Boss. Full tilt, didn't miss a note, zero string noise, spot on hand synch, no rushing or lagging. I could not ask for a better take. Not to mention that is a spiff ibby. I wish I hadn't sold mine! Just a great guitar. I've played guitars costing 3x as much and the necks all felt kind slow, as if they were in the way. Not so with the prestige necks. But then again I'm a HUGE Ibby fan. I'm sure there are folks that HATE thin necks, I"m just not one of them. Congrats on a killer take!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 18 2019, 12:24 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 24 2020, 10:24 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2020, 11:56 PM
NAILED IT!!! Look at that palm mute. Solid as a rock. Doesn't lift, doesnt drift, stays planted. Look at that picking! Synched up and solid. good strikes, not too much pick wag, and doesn't pull the palm off the mute. This is a great example of how far you have come in your technique. Also, your not muting so hard that your killing the notes. This is a delicate balance and you've found it. This is a great drill for working on stamina. Keep it in your tool box!!

Well done. You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 24 2020, 05:24 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 24 2020, 11:57 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:56 AM