8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Enlo22 - The Mighty Mixer Meister, mixing workshop
enlo22
Nov 26 2013, 06:36 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 25 2013, 06:55 PM) *
was the bass guitar muted when You were doing that screen ? smile.gif It has to be...we only want to see where's the bass drum main frequency smile.gif

that's with the bass muted on the other one i had the setting type as RT max so maybe thats why! but this one is just the kickdrum alone

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 26 2013, 09:08 AM
Instructor
Ok...what You have to know from this screen is that the bass drum low punch is aroung 65- 67 Hz.

Now watchj this region closely while You add bass guitar. It will probably boost. This way You have only one narrow frequency range that makes this "boom" effect and a loss of nice and equal, whole low end.

One of the ideas is to cut 67 Hz (in this particular case) on the bass guitar track - very narrow but deep cut. Then add the bass volume until You get the feel of nice solid end.Bass will not take away the bass-drum punch because it will lack of it's main frequency.

Whole idea of good mix and arrange is to get freq fullnes and avoid instruments overlaying too much on the same frequencies.

Try to make thatcur in the bass and increase it's volume. You can even cur up to 13dB

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
enlo22
Nov 26 2013, 05:13 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 26 2013, 08:08 AM) *
Ok...what You have to know from this screen is that the bass drum low punch is aroung 65- 67 Hz.

Now watchj this region closely while You add bass guitar. It will probably boost. This way You have only one narrow frequency range that makes this "boom" effect and a loss of nice and equal, whole low end.

One of the ideas is to cut 67 Hz (in this particular case) on the bass guitar track - very narrow but deep cut. Then add the bass volume until You get the feel of nice solid end.Bass will not take away the bass-drum punch because it will lack of it's main frequency.

Whole idea of good mix and arrange is to get freq fullnes and avoid instruments overlaying too much on the same frequencies.

Try to make thatcur in the bass and increase it's volume. You can even cur up to 13dB

awesome man! deff makes the bass pop out more and not be all mushy haha! anymore things to do? i'm excited cause it's improving!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 26 2013, 11:56 PM
Instructor
ok now I need You to post here raw audio mix of bass drum only! and it's span view screen. Also...if You made any EQ on bass drum already post the settings to (print screen would be best)

Also...The reason we do this is that all audio speakers have different sound - some gaps in freq spectrum, some freq are boosted some a are cut a bit. If We try to fill the whole frequency range equally we have more confidence it will sound ok on many different speakers type.

One of very first trap waiting for beginner mixing guys is that You can make Your record sound good on Your gear but when You go to someone else You hear a lot of things to fix. As a comparison You have Your favorite band record and it does sound either at Your home and Your friends home. This is the most ricky part of mixing. This is also why we have to trust stuff like SPAN to avoid issues that might be caused by our gear or room.

I usually try to make bass guitar flowing around main bass-drum frequency os the both give smooth line in the low end yet still make possible to hear the low bass drum punch without getting it too loud. The problem You have just discovered is one of that trap factors smile.gif You had very narrow freqency range at low end that made You feel it's enough bass in the mix...but...it was probably only on Your speakers

+Quote Post
enlo22
Nov 27 2013, 06:32 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 26 2013, 10:56 PM) *
ok now I need You to post here raw audio mix of bass drum only! and it's span view screen. Also...if You made any EQ on bass drum already post the settings to (print screen would be best)

Also...The reason we do this is that all audio speakers have different sound - some gaps in freq spectrum, some freq are boosted some a are cut a bit. If We try to fill the whole frequency range equally we have more confidence it will sound ok on many different speakers type.

One of very first trap waiting for beginner mixing guys is that You can make Your record sound good on Your gear but when You go to someone else You hear a lot of things to fix. As a comparison You have Your favorite band record and it does sound either at Your home and Your friends home. This is the most ricky part of mixing. This is also why we have to trust stuff like SPAN to avoid issues that might be caused by our gear or room.

I usually try to make bass guitar flowing around main bass-drum frequency os the both give smooth line in the low end yet still make possible to hear the low bass drum punch without getting it too loud. The problem You have just discovered is one of that trap factors smile.gif You had very narrow freqency range at low end that made You feel it's enough bass in the mix...but...it was probably only on Your speakers

"I need You to post here raw audio mix of bass drum only! and it's span view screen. Also...if You made any EQ on bass drum already post the settings to (print screen would be best)"

I'm confused as to what I need to post here, do I need to put the raw mix of the bass and the kick drum, or just the kickdrum? and the span view of both together? or just the kick drum? Isent you the kickdrums SPAN on the last message

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 28 2013, 12:16 AM
Instructor
You press the solo option on the bass drum track, make a mixdown and send it to me smile.gif

+Quote Post
enlo22
Nov 28 2013, 03:53 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 27 2013, 11:16 PM) *
You press the solo option on the bass drum track, make a mixdown and send it to me smile.gif

ok here's the kickdrum by itself! hopefully it's what you needed lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 2 2013, 02:29 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 27 2013, 11:16 PM) *

sorry to bother you, but did you get the last kick drum thing i sent?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 2 2013, 04:21 PM
Instructor
No no...it's good You asked because somehow I missed that post.Currently I'm away from my home studio but I'll respond as soon as I could analyze the track and suggest You cut or boost frequencies smile.gif

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 4 2013, 05:21 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 2 2013, 03:21 PM) *
No no...it's good You asked because somehow I missed that post.Currently I'm away from my home studio but I'll respond as soon as I could analyze the track and suggest You cut or boost frequencies smile.gif

looking forward to it !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 4 2013, 09:41 AM
Instructor
Damn...I've posted a post that was dedicated for You, in Elhombre thread biggrin.gif Gotta copy it here smile.gif

Time to mix the drums (again very simple and not a "must" tips that will help You get started)

There are some very cool toturials. I alwasy did search for some of those and still keep doing - You never know what cool tips can be found there.

What shoulkd You focus at is a example of frequency range and depth = width of those cuts over particular drum set instrument. Of course it works different in each case but usually for metal mixing it would great starting point.

Take a look at how to cut overheads (low pass filter) and how to take of some boxy mid range from bass drum and snare. Watch it carefully at least a few times

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 5 2013, 05:35 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 4 2013, 08:41 AM) *
Damn...I've posted a post that was dedicated for You, in Elhombre thread biggrin.gif Gotta copy it here smile.gif

Time to mix the drums (again very simple and not a "must" tips that will help You get started)

There are some very cool toturials. I alwasy did search for some of those and still keep doing - You never know what cool tips can be found there.

What shoulkd You focus at is a example of frequency range and depth = width of those cuts over particular drum set instrument. Of course it works different in each case but usually for metal mixing it would great starting point.

Take a look at how to cut overheads (low pass filter) and how to take of some boxy mid range from bass drum and snare. Watch it carefully at least a few times

ok man, i've followed the tutorial smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 6 2013, 12:00 PM
Instructor
As You can see there is a lot of middle cut in drums for metal music. You hear the bass drum have lots of low end + exposed attack but it's not about boosting those frequencies - it's about removing others. Basic rule is EQworks better when cuttin than boosting wink.gif

At the very beginning You can start doing wide (high Q) and deep cut with only one eq point. Just mess with it a bit.

IMPORTANT! - some of the vst drums are slightly or highly processed (especially drumkit from hell) this mean some of the job from toturial was already done on the raw samples and You have to be careful to not cut too much smile.gif

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 7 2013, 11:47 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 6 2013, 11:00 AM) *
As You can see there is a lot of middle cut in drums for metal music. You hear the bass drum have lots of low end + exposed attack but it's not about boosting those frequencies - it's about removing others. Basic rule is EQworks better when cuttin than boosting wink.gif

At the very beginning You can start doing wide (high Q) and deep cut with only one eq point. Just mess with it a bit.

IMPORTANT! - some of the vst drums are slightly or highly processed (especially drumkit from hell) this mean some of the job from toturial was already done on the raw samples and You have to be careful to not cut too much smile.gif

what should I do now?? lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 9 2013, 04:58 PM
Instructor
launch the EQ on the bass drum. We'll remove some unwanted "body" to make place for guitars. Add one correction point somewhere around 400 Hz. experiment with the cut depth even to -16 dB until You find the bass drum having only attack and low end. Send mix some samples from Your experiments

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 10 2013, 02:04 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 9 2013, 03:58 PM) *
launch the EQ on the bass drum. We'll remove some unwanted "body" to make place for guitars. Add one correction point somewhere around 400 Hz. experiment with the cut depth even to -16 dB until You find the bass drum having only attack and low end. Send mix some samples from Your experiments

ok here i'm sending you the kickdrum alone and then a whole mix, i think the kick drum sounds good in my opinion. random question.. how do they mix things like Amon Amarth ?! like to get that HUGEEE sound

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 10 2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor
Ok. Now take a look at the analyzer. You can see the main low end attack frequency that we were cutting out of bass guitar:

Attached Image

Now here we go with the "different rehearsal gear" issues. Maybe You didn't notice but it visible on a few of my speaker sets. I think that there is not a good proportion between bass drums low punch volume and it's attack.

Let's add some compressor:

Attached Image

As You can see now the low and treble end of bass drum diagram looks more equal. You can try same compressor settings from the one You see on the left. Remember - everything is important - attack and release time, ratio etc. When You put the compressor, You can inscrease bass drum volume in the mix. Of course if YOU'RE NOT USING gain make up option.

Compressor pomps out the bass drum a bit and makes some order with not regular harder hits

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 11 2013, 07:10 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 10 2013, 08:48 AM) *
Ok. Now take a look at the analyzer. You can see the main low end attack frequency that we were cutting out of bass guitar:

Attached Image

Now here we go with the "different rehearsal gear" issues. Maybe You didn't notice but it visible on a few of my speaker sets. I think that there is not a good proportion between bass drums low punch volume and it's attack.

Let's add some compressor:

Attached Image

As You can see now the low and treble end of bass drum diagram looks more equal. You can try same compressor settings from the one You see on the left. Remember - everything is important - attack and release time, ratio etc. When You put the compressor, You can inscrease bass drum volume in the mix. Of course if YOU'RE NOT USING gain make up option.

Compressor pomps out the bass drum a bit and makes some order with not regular harder hits

for some reason, when i use the compressor it loses life it seems like idk. Would it help if i just raised the highs a bit on the kick drum instead??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 11 2013, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Dec 11 2013, 07:10 AM) *
for some reason, when i use the compressor it loses life it seems like idk. Would it help if i just raised the highs a bit on the kick drum instead??

The idea is...when You want more highs it works better when You cut a bit low, and increase overall volume of the track so the low end level in the mix will be the same but the highs will come out. Cuting is always better than boosting. It will give the same effect for the ears.

I'm afraid Your bass drum is too boomy on my speakers. Please retry to add compresion, send me bass drum mix withcompressor on, and a screen of compressor settings

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 12 2013, 01:32 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Dec 11 2013, 06:10 AM) *

ok I did it! you were right, it balanced it more, I did the span thing too and it looked like yours where the high and lows were even.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:24 AM