Gmc Forum Filter - Chrome Extension
yoncopin
Nov 15 2016, 12:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've had enough of the political nonsense going on around here lately. I thought it would end with the election, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this isn't going away anytime soon. On Facebook, etc... I'd just "Hide post from..." but here we cannot do that. Instead of letting it ruin my GMC experience, I built a Chrome browser extension which anyone can download to fix it.

GMC Forum Filter

In the options you can specify a list of users and what you want hidden, essentially scrubbing their presence from your GMC forum browsing. It's sad that it had to come to this, but I want to move on.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Nov 15 2016, 09:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thank you Sir !! ... very much appreciated feature at the moment.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 15 2016, 11:12 AM
GMC:er
Actually I checked and the user control panel has this option. To be fair there's only 1 active political topic, was worse before elections ended and Kris locked them when needed.

I'm not a fan of user banning, all my time on various forums I only used it once (not here) if I remember correct and he was sending useless private messages to me. Even if once in a very long time, that X user might share something very useful so I'd rather not miss anything.

The forum menu offers topic following etc. for users, probably not right away but we could add to our "update wish list" for users being able to not see certain topics in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 15 2016, 03:21 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
So we can all create our little safe space like the snowflakes do? How trendy. Will those people that are blocked as a user still be able to view the posts and topics as a guest but then not be able to comment when they sign in?
If so, well that seems pretty weak.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 15 2016, 04:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 15 2016, 06:12 AM) *
The forum menu offers topic following etc. for users, probably not right away but we could add to our "update wish list" for users being able to not see certain topics in the future.

This is a good idea, so I added it too. There is now a (X) on each topic entry, you can click it to hide a thread from displaying. The update has been uploaded to Google, it should be available in the next hour or so. Currently it's only available when using the 'View New Posts' link but I'll add it elsewhere.

Edit: On second thought, I think I'll leave it only for the 'View New Posts' page. That's the only one I ever look at, and out of sight is out of mind. If you want to see what's happening in a particular forum listing that page will be unaltered.

Edit 2: Update now available.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Nov 15 2016, 04:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 15 2016, 05:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 15 2016, 04:21 PM) *
So we can all create our little safe space like the snowflakes do? How trendy. Will those people that are blocked as a user still be able to view the posts and topics as a guest but then not be able to comment when they sign in?
If so, well that seems pretty weak.

AK you have possibly misunderstood what this topic is about. Brian wants to filter out some types of posts/topics from his forum view. He has accomplished this with a plugin of his (there is also built in support for it in the forum)

Either way - if you feel that an action of yours might be the reason behind this topic, I would suggest you approach it with some delicacy. Regardless - describing other peoples choices/actions by using sarcasm and words like "weak" is never encouraged here.

If you care about maintaining good relations, silence or apologies are much better tools. I see no need for the later at this point, I am just trying to convey the spirit we are striving for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 15 2016, 05:24 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 15 2016, 08:09 AM) *
AK you have possibly misunderstood what this topic is about. Brian wants to filter out some types of posts/topics from his forum view. He has accomplished this with a plugin of his (there is also built in support for it in the forum)

Either way - if you feel that an action of yours might be the reason behind this topic, I would suggest you approach it with some delicacy. Regardless - describing other peoples choices/actions by using sarcasm and words like "weak" is never encouraged here.

If you care about maintaining good relations, silence or apologies are much better tools. I see no need for the later at this point, I am just trying to convey the spirit we are striving for.

Ah I see. Yes I have misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up.
No, I don't feel that this is about any action of mine and I rescind my comments altogether.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2016, 11:11 PM
Well done wink.gif I'm going to take a break from posting ANYTHING political and try to focus on guitar again as it's just pointless to ruin GMC with politics.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 14 2016, 07:07 PM) *
I've had enough of the political nonsense going on around here lately. I thought it would end with the election, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this isn't going away anytime soon. On Facebook, etc... I'd just "Hide post from..." but here we cannot do that. Instead of letting it ruin my GMC experience, I built a Chrome browser extension which anyone can download to fix it.

GMC Forum Filter

In the options you can specify a list of users and what you want hidden, essentially scrubbing their presence from your GMC forum browsing. It's sad that it had to come to this, but I want to move on.

Just added it and it's very handy smile.gif If a thread is one you are tired of seeing, just click the X and bam. Not going to get in the way of guitaring. Nice!

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 14 2016, 07:07 PM) *

GMC Forum Filter

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 16 2016, 03:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 15 2016, 06:11 PM) *
Well done wink.gif I'm going to take a break from posting ANYTHING political and try to focus on guitar again as it's just pointless to ruin GMC with politics.

Just added it and it's very handy smile.gif If a thread is one you are tired of seeing, just click the X and bam. Not going to get in the way of guitaring. Nice!

Todd

Yeah, I want MORE guitaring! Glad you find it useful too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 16 2016, 01:49 PM
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 15 2016, 03:24 PM) *
Edit 2: Update now available.

You're quick and handy with coding very cool smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2016, 08:51 PM
I must second that thought smile.gif Well played sir!! Quick and spiff. Hard not to like. I don't think this this plugin represents everyone wanting their own "Special Snowflake" as AKRICH mentioned (referencing a post of BEN HIGGINS from a bit ago), nor do I see it as "TRENDY". It seems like a handy way to help focus ones limited time on guitar bits instead of other bits. I'm getting a bit tired of the endless, pointless, back and forth myself, so I installed the plugin too. I applaud yoncopin for taking the time and effort of creating it. There are plenty of sites out there for folks to have endless back and forths about politics. Hoping this plugin pushes things back to guitar, personally smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 16 2016, 08:49 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 16 2016, 11:49 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Nov 17 2016, 08:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 16 2016, 08:49 AM) *

Thanks guys smile.gif Necessity is the mother of invention. I'd never made a browser plugin before, so it was a good chance to learn something new. Sometimes I find it difficult to intentionally think up interesting projects, they tend to find me instead. In the end it only took an evening of tinkering. Instead of being upset about things I just decided to do something about it. I have to admit, things are much more pleasant now, back to normal smile.gif

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Nov 17 2016, 08:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jun 20 2017, 06:36 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Reminder, yoncopin has graciously provided something to fix the problem that has infected GMC.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 14 2016, 11:07 PM) *

GMC Forum Filter

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 20 2017, 08:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I just don't view anything political. Can't be arsed; it always ends up bitter. Same at work, I keep my politics to myself. Basically, if people don't want to look, don't click the link.

I can see for some though, that it may help, those that don't really want to get involved but have a peekaboo before they know it they've lost too much precious practice time wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 21 2017, 02:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 20 2017, 09:07 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 20 2017, 09:26 AM) *
I just don't view anything political. Can't be arsed; it always ends up bitter. Same at work, I keep my politics to myself. Basically, if people don't want to look, don't click the link.

I can see for some tough that it may help, those that don't really want to get involved but have a peekaboo before they know it they've lost too much precious practise time wink.gif

I agree Phil smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 21 2017, 01:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 20 2017, 03:26 AM) *
I can see for some tough that it may help, those that don't really want to get involved but have a peekaboo before they know it they've lost too much precious practise time wink.gif

This is exactly what it was meant to solve, sometimes it's just too hard not to look at the car wreck for me. Glad you find it useful Rammikin smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:25 PM