2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My New Pedal Board! (fuhrmann)
Todd Simpson
Apr 30 2014, 01:29 AM
GMC:er
I just got a new pedal board and I'm going to be doing some videos about these pedals. The same folks that make the pedals make the mounting board so it's wonderfully easy to build a great board. The pedals mound with a screw to the board. I'm going to add my own power supply and start making some vids!!!!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 30 2014, 01:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 30 2014, 12:47 PM
Instructor
Looking great Todd! These are the guys you have told me about, right? I am very curious to hear your opinion on the pedals smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Huargo
Apr 30 2014, 02:41 PM
Tone Seeker
videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 04:06 AM
Yup!!! Those guys smile.gif so far I'm digging these pedals! Hand built, like a truck?kdd
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2014, 07:47 AM) *
Looking great Todd! These are the guys you have told me about, right? I am very curious to hear your opinion on the pedals smile.gif

Coming soon!

QUOTE (huargo @ Apr 30 2014, 09:41 AM) *
videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?videos already?

smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 1 2014, 09:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2014, 12:29 AM) *
I'm going to add my own power supply and start making some vids!!!!

Attached Image

nice todd!
maybe you can help me with some questions about my power and layout.
i also was thinking of adding a power supply. currently im using a One Spot to power 9 pedals. im getting a bit of noise wich i think is coming from my fx loop. im running a tuner, wah, compressor, phase 90 and OD with a isp gate at the end, in that order in front of the amp. the isp works great killing all unwanted noise. in my FX loop in using chorus, delay, and reverb in that order. when i unlplug the the fx loop noise is gone, do you think a power supply would fix this problem? its not so bad that it drives me bananas, but if i power supply like voodoo or pedaltrain1250 could get rid of this i would be down to get one. i was wondering the pros of something like voodoo lab or pedaltrain1250 over a one spot?

also what you think about my pedal order? ive done alot of expermenting and i like my sound in that order, im kinda unsure about my compressor and my phase 90. the compressor sounds good before and after od but i wanted it closer to my guitar and after my wah cause i thought it would even out sound from the wah. and when i first added my phase 90 i had it in my loop, but didnt like it and thought it was better out front, but how do you feel about it being after OD instead of before? lots of questions wink.gif

+Quote Post
Becca
May 1 2014, 03:48 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 30 2014, 12:29 AM) *
I just got a new pedal board and I'm going to be doing some videos about these pedals. The same folks that make the pedals make the mounting board so it's wonderfully easy to build a great board. The pedals mound with a screw to the board. I'm going to add my own power supply and start making some vids!!!!

Attached Image

Very nice Todd. Cant wait to hear those pedals earning their keep. Its a new name to me. Are they a fairly recent manufacturer?
What sort of price range are they pitched at?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 1 2014, 04:31 PM
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 1 2014, 01:51 AM) *
nice todd!
i also was thinking of adding a power supply. currently im using a One Spot to power 9 pedals. im getting a bit of noise wich i think is coming from my fx loop. im running a tuner, wah, compressor, phase 90 and OD with a isp gate at the end, in that order in front of the amp. the isp works great killing all unwanted noise. in my FX loop in using chorus, delay, and reverb in that order. when i unlplug the the fx loop noise is gone, do you think a power supply would fix this problem? its not so bad that it drives me bananas, but if i power supply like voodoo or pedaltrain1250 could get rid of this i would be down to get one. i was wondering the pros of something like voodoo lab or pedaltrain1250 over a one spot?

also what you think about my pedal order? ive done alot of expermenting and i like my sound in that order, im kinda unsure about my compressor and my phase 90. the compressor sounds good before and after od but i wanted it closer to my guitar and after my wah cause i thought it would even out sound from the wah. and when i first added my phase 90 i had it in my loop, but didnt like it and thought it was better out front, but how do you feel about it being after OD instead of before? lots of questions wink.gif

9 pedals is WAY too many for a one-spot to handle (4 is my max with a 1spot). I can guarantee you that some of the noise issues are 1-spot related. *They're great with a couple of pedals and very convenient but not optimum.

Voodoo Labs PP2, Powertrain 1250 and T-Rex 'fuel tank' are much better solutions as each out has an individual and isolated transformer. Also the transformers are torroidal which minimize electromagnetic interference (EMI) to nearby circuits. Technically they are 8 (or more depending on model) separate power supplies.
Dunlop DC brick is just a glorified 1-spot (the outs are not iso'd).

As for a Phase 90 in the loop - ? They are designed to go in front of the amp. Pre or post OD is a matter of personal taste. Same for where you like your comp. I prefer it post wah, pre dist.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 1 2014, 04:59 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 05:40 PM
I doubt the power supply would fix it. If you are ok using the other pedals in front of the amp, why not just use them all in front and cut the fx loop and thus the noise issue out of the equation? smile.gif There is a nosie gate on my board in the pic thats doing a great job but I always put my noise gate at the HEAD of chain.

Todd

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 1 2014, 04:51 AM) *
nice todd!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 06:42 PM
They are fairly new to the game I think. They are "boutique" builder sort of like PRO TONE PEDALS, as they build EVERYTHING by hand and only use top quality guts/bits in their builds.

So they are priced toward the "pro" market and folks who buy "boutique" pedals which is to say it's NOT line 6 sort of stuff and not line 6 sort of priced. More like WAMPLER or PRO TONE.

They are based in BRAZIL so it has to be imported currently. I"m one of the few folks in the states who has any of them as far as I know so I"m a lucky dude!!! I found out about them through a guitar guy I follow on youtube named MARCOS DE ROSS. Here he is demoing some of the gain pedals. I"m currently trying 2 gains boxes,

the METAL DRIVE 2 and the TUBE DRIVE.. I'm running the tube drive in to the metal drive and it sounds like running a tube screamer in to a Mesa Rectifier smile.gif

Here is my first recording using the TUBE DRIVE. I'm using it to drive my signal harder going in to my recording interface (direct recording/no amp) and OVERLOUD TH2 guitar sim plugin.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/80s-guitar-rawk-collaboration-project-full-preview-with-backing

QUOTE (Becca @ May 1 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Very nice Todd. Cant wait to hear those pedals earning their keep. Its a new name to me. Are they a fairly recent manufacturer?
What sort of price range are they pitched at?

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 1 2014, 10:27 PM
That metal drive pedal definitely complements your tone considering the solo's I heard from you till now.

I also liked it, I usually find myself tweaking the distortion similar but only difference is the cab. choice (prefer to bring back the low mid. with cab, like using a marshall combined with some presence eq).

Got curious and checked their website (needs english although google translate did the trick smile.gif ), they have a ton of variety very cool. I also noticed how well the housing (metal case? tongue.gif) were, seems indestructible smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 2 2014, 12:18 AM
BUILT LIKE A TANK!! smile.gif Yeah, they use all metal housing and rugged stomp switches. The mounting board is all steel as well and a screw hole in the bottom of the pedal lets you hard mount each pedal to the board. I think this thing could survive the apocalypse smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 1 2014, 05:27 PM) *
That metal drive pedal definitely complements your tone considering the solo's I heard from you till now.

I also liked it, I usually find myself tweaking the distortion similar but only difference is the cab. choice (prefer to bring back the low mid. with cab, like using a marshall combined with some presence eq).

Got curious and checked their website (needs english although google translate did the trick smile.gif ), they have a ton of variety very cool. I also noticed how well the housing (metal case? tongue.gif) were, seems indestructible smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 2 2014, 05:50 AM
You can get a cheap CALINE power supply for about $35 on ebay. I bought one for my pedalboard and it works great! smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301041802782?lpid=82

There are pricier units to be sure, that are probably nicer. But this one seems nice and quiet and cheap. smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 1 2014, 11:31 AM) *
9 pedals is WAY too many for a one-spot to handle (4 is my max with a 1spot). I can guarantee you that some of the noise issues are 1-spot related. *They're great with a couple of pedals and very convenient but not optimum.

Voodoo Labs PP2, Powertrain 1250 and T-Rex 'fuel tank' are much better solutions as each out has an individual and isolated transformer. Also the transformers are torroidal which minimize electromagnetic interference (EMI) to nearby circuits. Technically they are 8 (or more depending on model) separate power supplies.
Dunlop DC brick is just a glorified 1-spot (the outs are not iso'd).

As for a Phase 90 in the loop - ? They are designed to go in front of the amp. Pre or post OD is a matter of personal taste. Same for where you like your comp. I prefer it post wah, pre dist.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 2 2014, 07:23 AM
The Caline is a good 'in between' choice. In between a 1-spot and a higher end/way more expensive pwr sply. The option for 12 and 18 volt capability is very convenient. But the outs are not isolated and it's also using a switching power supply to actually power 'it'.

The Caline is a rebranded Joyo (no issue with joyo just stating fact) ... http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808 (great overall reference guide and resource).
Scroll down to Joyo Power Supply JP-02.

Most of the time probably not an issue especially if your pedals are getting the correct amount of juice consistently and the power from the wall is consistent and relatively clean.
The majority of a guitarist's 'noise' comes from the guitar and just gets magnified down the signal chain. Power supplies can't help with that though really crappy ones can add more noise.
Now, if you play in funky old bars or buildings where the wiring is old and bad and you're sharing a circuit with an espresso machine and a margarita blender then a high quality power supply can help to totally save your ass noise wise.

When you're playing in front of your computer make sure that no wires/cables (inst/monitor/power/etc. are crossing over each other).

*I'm a bit of a freak about power supplies (pwr splys and cases). I travel to play a lot and one of things I've found that helps to keep my traveling rigs (and sound) relatively consistent and quiet is a good power supply and good cables.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 2 2014, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 3 2014, 07:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 2 2014, 06:23 AM) *
The Caline is a good 'in between' choice. In between a 1-spot and a higher end/way more expensive pwr sply. The option for 12 and 18 volt capability is very convenient. But the outs are not isolated and it's also using a switching power supply to actually power 'it'.

The Caline is a rebranded Joyo (no issue with joyo just stating fact) ... http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808 (great overall reference guide and resource).
Scroll down to Joyo Power Supply JP-02.

Most of the time probably not an issue especially if your pedals are getting the correct amount of juice consistently and the power from the wall is consistent and relatively clean.
The majority of a guitarist's 'noise' comes from the guitar and just gets magnified down the signal chain. Power supplies can't help with that though really crappy ones can add more noise.
Now, if you play in funky old bars or buildings where the wiring is old and bad and you're sharing a circuit with an espresso machine and a margarita blender then a high quality power supply can help to totally save your ass noise wise.

When you're playing in front of your computer make sure that no wires/cables (inst/monitor/power/etc. are crossing over each other).

*I'm a bit of a freak about power supplies (pwr splys and cases). I travel to play a lot and one of things I've found that helps to keep my traveling rigs (and sound) relatively consistent and quiet is a good power supply and good cables.

I've done some online research on power supplies. And getting the right voltage to your pedals with isolated outputs seems to be very important to insure you are getting the full tone and capabilities of your pedals. The hiss that I'm getting is coming from the one spot, cause when I run my pedals on a 9v battery the hiss is gone. I've read when you daisy chain and you have one pedal that reacts badly to the power it's getting that it is amplified down the line, is this the case? Cause there's a lot of different opinions. But the majority says to spring for good power like voodoo lab or pedalpower1250. I'm going to get one of them most likely a voodoo pedal power 2 plus, because I need to power 10 pedals and both units have 8 outs but voodoo has cables that lets you daisy chain 2 pedals to one out as long as your pedals don't go over the 100 Ma the each out provides. With pedal power I can't seem to find special cables provided by them. What do you guys think of pedal power vs voodoo?

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 3 2014, 07:41 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 3 2014, 02:57 PM
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 2 2014, 11:39 PM) *
I've done some online research on power supplies. And getting the right voltage to your pedals with isolated outputs seems to be very important to insure you are getting the full tone and capabilities of your pedals. The hiss that I'm getting is coming from the one spot, cause when I run my pedals on a 9v battery the hiss is gone. I've read when you daisy chain and you have one pedal that reacts badly to the power it's getting that it is amplified down the line, is this the case? Cause there's a lot of different opinions. But the majority says to spring for good power like voodoo lab or pedalpower1250. I'm going to get one of them most likely a voodoo pedal power 2 plus, because I need to power 10 pedals and both units have 8 outs but voodoo has cables that lets you daisy chain 2 pedals to one out as long as your pedals don't go over the 100 Ma the each out provides. With pedal power I can't seem to find special cables provided by them. What do you guys think of pedal power vs voodoo?

Lets put it this way. If the noise is due to the pedal's interaction to the power supply 1) it will never go away and 2) 'can' be affected and possibly increased by a buffer in another pedal after it and 3) If the noisy pedal is before a gain pedal (OD, dist, boost, fuzz) then the noise will most definitely get amplified when the gainer is 'on'.
*Batteries are ALWAYS quietest ... and there are now rechargeable lithium pedal board power supplies (Pedal Train Volto and a couple others).

My power supplies of choice are the Voodoo Labs pedal power and T-Rex fuel tanks. I have two of each. I've been using VL pps since the late 90s. I know that there's a lot of other good ones out there but I can say from personal experience, at least in the states, most players use a Voodoo Lab power supply and many of the custom pdl brd builders use VL power supplies. I have never heard of a VL failing.

*You can daisy chain from one output off most pwr supplies that have iso'd outs as long as you don't exceed the milliamps.
Overdrive/distortion pedals (analog not digital or modeler) draw VERY LITTLE current. Like between 4ma and 15 ma (generally). You can easily daisy chain two analog ODs from one out w/o hurting anything and 'probably' not introduce any extra noise. Analog delays and analog chorus - around 25 to 65 ma depending. *Multi fx/modelers/etc. - 65 to 200 ma.

More good reading ... http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PoweringPedals/

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 3 2014, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2014, 06:59 PM
Wow, 10 pedals? At that point, you really might benefit from multi fx unit. Just switching 10 pedals must be a pain in the neck. Going from your clean tone to your dirty tone would require a lot of tap dancing it seems?

They make a controller that lets you program banks of pedals so that you click button 1 and say 4 out of 10 pedals are engaged. I"m using my pedal board as an addendum to my multifx unit which iis probably overkill, but I have some stomps in my new FUHRMANN board that ELEVEN RACK just doesn't have. Also, having an extra gate at the head of the signal chain by adding the fuhrmann noise gate has allowed me to back off the gate on the eleven and squeeze more sustain out before noise clamp comes down wink.gif I've gotten to be a big fan of stacking gates and stacking compressors for that matter, and stacking overdrives. hmm.

For example, I"ve got an overdrive in the ELEVEN RACK patch but I still use my fuhrmann TUBE DRIVE pedal to drive the signal before it hits the 11 rack (mostly clean"ish" boost) and it allows a much lighter touch in solo work.

As exampled in this solo for the 80s collab. I'm using the fuhrman gate and tube drive in addition to an OVERLOUD TH2 patch.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/80s-guitar-rawk-collaboration-project-full-preview-with-backing

In short, get a decent power supply (the JOYO one has been fine for me power up to 6 pedals) or get the nicer ones mentioned above. DONE.

Then look at adding a multi fx and perhaps weed down your pedal chain a bit? 5 or 6 pedals is all I've ever run before it gets a bit noisey and starts other issues as well. E.G. being stuck with one setting for a flanger or having to use two pedals just for flange.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 3 2014, 02:39 AM) *

+Quote Post
Spock
May 3 2014, 07:17 PM
Slaying it Todd - do me a favor and pray some of that mojo my way will ya?

In that video, I have to say I preferred the Metal Drive pedal, I love the high end aspect of it.

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 4 2014, 06:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 3 2014, 05:59 PM) *
Wow, 10 pedals? At that point, you really might benefit from multi fx unit. Just switching 10 pedals must be a pain in the neck. Going from your clean tone to your dirty tone would require a lot of tap dancing it seems?

In short, get a decent power supply (the JOYO one has been fine for me power up to 6 pedals) or get the nicer ones mentioned above. DONE.

Then look at adding a multi fx and perhaps weed down your pedal chain a bit? 5 or 6 pedals is all I've ever run before it gets a bit noisey and starts other issues as well. E.G. being stuck with one setting for a flanger or having to use two pedals just for flange.

alot of my pedals are always on i only have one overdrive pedal, a OCD. i use reverb pedal, noise gate pedal, tuner, and a compressor. those are always on. at makes up most of my board. pedals like my phase, delay and wah and OD are the only ones a toggle between, ive always wanted to build a pedal board slowly with the effects i like instead of using a fx processor, biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 4 2014, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 3 2014, 10:58 PM) *
alot of my pedals are always on i only have one overdrive pedal, a OCD. i use reverb pedal, noise gate pedal, tuner, and a compressor. those are always on. at makes up most of my board. pedals like my phase, delay and wah and OD are the only ones a toggle between, ive always wanted to build a pedal board slowly with the effects i like instead of using a fx processor, biggrin.gif

Specifically what are the pedal brands and models and in what order (from guitar to amp) are they?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 4 2014, 05:40 PM
I've got the METAL DRIVE 2 which is a two channel pedal with 3 band eq. Love it smile.gif The TUBE DRIVE is like a tube screamer, and it works great for driving the metal drive even harder. These are built like tanks and sound killer. Between the board and my 11 RACK, I'm a happy camper smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ May 3 2014, 02:17 PM) *
Slaying it Todd - do me a favor and pray some of that mojo my way will ya?

In that video, I have to say I preferred the Metal Drive pedal, I love the high end aspect of it.

I'm with ya wink.gif Up to a certain point, that works well. Once you reach a certain point though, IMHO, you can have just too many pedals. But to each his own wink.gif I"m using a multi fx and a pedal board in conjunction and it allows great flexibility and tonal options. Having the multi means you are not stuck with the same settings for say overdrive, for everthing. Your overdrive pedal can serve one specific function, like boost, while the multi fx can have different tone settings for each patch.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 4 2014, 01:58 AM) *

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:47 AM