> The Perfect Usb Hub For Music Production?
Todd Simpson
post Dec 5 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I've tried more usb hubs than I can even remember. This one little bit of technology is often overlooked when folks are building their home studio. Typically, folks just use whatever hub they have. I found out the hard way, that the right usb hub is just as important as the right monitors in terms of avoiding headaches that get in the way of making music. I've been trying to help phil work through some issues he is having with his current setup and it made me think about how many issues I've worked through on the way to finding out I was using the wrong usb hub. I don't think phils hub is his issue. However, having the right hub can prevent wads of headaches.
This is the hub I use on my music computer. I had several requirements.
WHAT MAKES THE PERFECT STUDIO USB HUB?
  • 1.)Aluminum construction (not flimsy plastic, also dissipates heat very well)
  • 2.)USB 3.0 (Inadeqate bandwidth causes problems)
  • 3.)Powered (non powered hubs should be avoided on production systems imho)
  • 4.)Quick Charge Ports (dedicated ports for charging devices)5.)Price (some ports with these features are crazy pricey)
  • 5.)Surge/Over Current Protection (Just a bit too much power going through your hub can damage your expensive devices like your interface/helix/etc.)

Here is the one hub that is still part of my rig. I've thrown away all the others. 3 Year warranty and it runs about $50. It is more than a cheap plastic hub, but skimping on the thing most of your data is going to move through is not a great idea.
https://amzn.to/2SsXUZ9
Attached Image
Anyone else have a fave bit of kit that is guitar related but not guitar/monitors/etc?
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 5 2018, 08:15 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 01:46 PM