How To "fingerpick" That Song
Constie
Jan 11 2008, 06:18 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys

Today I listened to the "Once upon a Time in Mexico soundtrack" again after a long time and I want to learn the rhythm guitar of the song "el mariachi".
I coudn't find it on youtube, so I uploaded it there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KcS9Miavj8

Well it's quite short but sooo sweet and easy. And I'm sooo happy I found a tab smile.gif
If you concentrate on the rhythm-guitar you can hear it, although there's a solo.

As I haven't "fingerpicked"(<- right word??) a lot in my life, I need some help from you.

Here's the tab: http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/los_lobo...ariachi_tab.htm

I don't know which fingers to use when there are 3 notes on one string. Woudn't be smart to use pinky 3 times, huh?
One time there are 7 Notes on one string.

Thanks for your help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 11 2008, 08:21 PM
No one?
Instructors, I need your help! Please take some time and listen to this tune, to help me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 11 2008, 08:35 PM
Instructor
Since this is really easy piece you may use any fingering that fits you. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 11 2008, 11:03 PM
i think the same principle on bass applies when you have those amounts of notes on one string, but im not sure... unsure.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 11 2008, 11:28 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 11 2008, 08:35 PM) *
Since this is really easy piece you may use any fingering that fits you. smile.gif

So there is no wrong or right?

Well I could use 2 or 3 fingers for that, 'cause I hate picking with the pinky.
Using three fingers looks better I think cool.gif

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jan 11 2008, 11:03 PM) *
i think the same principle on bass applies when you have those amounts of notes on one string, but im not sure... unsure.gif

I don't play bass dry.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 11 2008, 11:42 PM
Haven't looked at the piece Constie but I will when i get time, when fingerpicking we alternate the index and middle fingers usually when notes are on one string. Rarely if ever use the pinky.

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 12 2008, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Jan 11 2008, 11:42 PM) *
Haven't looked at the piece Constie but I will when i get time, when fingerpicking we alternate the index and middle fingers usually when notes are on one string. Rarely if ever use the pinky.

So my ring finger takes a break in that part smile.gif That's what I needed to know. Thanks a lot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Jan 12 2008, 08:12 AM
Classical Instructor
I would also use index and middle fingers alternatively.
If it gets really fast, 3 fingers in the order of ring-middle-index, or even thumb-middle-index would fit well.

+Quote Post
Constie
Jan 12 2008, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (Kosei Kubota @ Jan 12 2008, 08:12 AM) *
in the order of ring-middle-index

So in that case I always start picking with the finger nearest to my pinky!?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Jan 12 2008, 08:43 PM
Classical Instructor
Yeah.
There is no fixed rule, but in general, ring-middle-index is easier to control than index-middle-ring.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 12 2008, 09:07 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Does this apply if we play 3 strings, in order G,B,E? For example Nothing else matters intro.. It feels natural to me to use I-M-A Fingering:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 12 2008, 10:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 12 2008, 09:07 PM) *
Does this apply if we play 3 strings, in order G,B,E? For example Nothing else matters intro.. It feels natural to me to use I-M-A Fingering:)

I guess nice fingering for NEM intro is I for G,M for B and R for high E string.
This R-M-I is usually applied for single string licks.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Jan 13 2008, 05:15 PM
Classical Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 12 2008, 04:50 PM) *
I guess nice fingering for NEM intro is I for G,M for B and R for high E string.
This R-M-I is usually applied for single string licks.

That's right.
I was talking about 3 notes on a single string.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 14 2008, 02:12 AM
Instructor
First you must know what finger you can use.... if there are several notes on a same string and the tempo is not very slow, if you can it´s wise to alternate fingerings.
For chords or arpegios there are 6 strings and most of us can use 4 fingers (p i m a) you have to use your thumb (p) to play several strings at once. It´s very complex and depends on the context. I´m on vacation, if you like send me a pm on feb with the tab and I´ll show you my opinion....beter if you have a version of your self tryng to play the piece.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:25 PM