The Bystander Effect..., some shocking psychology
Bossie
Dec 21 2012, 07:36 PM
GMC:er
A hot topic in our country with exploding crime rates. For example last week a guy took a punch and fell down...to be discovered
after a few hours ..Dead! Still lot's of people saw him on the street struggling to breath and he was lying directly under a well observed policecamera.

This video is about a team of actors who are trying to demonstrate the shocking 'bystander effect' ...makes you speechless and sometimes surviving is all about what you are wearing etc etc ....

Would you help a person in need....???Guess nobody can answer the question for themself..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bossie: Dec 21 2012, 07:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 21 2012, 09:09 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
This is very sad sad.gif I was brought up to always help people who are in need or distress and I have practiced this many times, even if it means putting myself at risk. Whether it be helping an old lady across the street, or to giving food or money to someone who is down on their luck,or to stopping and helping someone stuck in thier vehicle or aiding in some kind of rescue, and especially to step in when someone is being bullied, there are not many things I dislike more than a bully and when I have seen them in action I have done my best to make sure and will always do my best to make sure they have a very bad day. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 21 2012, 09:16 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'm with Rich on this.
Luckily I have never been in a situation where I had to make the choice whether to confront a whole group of bullies on my own, in that case I'd look for help and at least let them know they are being watched.
As for helpless persons lying somewhere, I always go to them and ask if they need help or check if they are injured or should see a doctor for other reasons. Since my ex is a doctor she would always check if a helpless person is alright, so I learned this from her.
Usually, if one bystander makes a stand and goes to a helpless person and then talks to other bystanders giving them orders to call the police, help to move the person etc. these bystanders will help.
As often in live, it takes someone to start and the rest will follow.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 21 2012, 10:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
I would help - and most if not all the people I know would. There are a lot of fears about getting mixed up in the unknown though, and I'm sure that's a growing fear (at least here in the U.S.). Everything from fear of walking in on something gang-related, or just fear of a lawsuit. People have gotten in trouble for trying help someone, but didn't "do it right". We have had to pass "Good Samaritan" laws here in many states of the U.S. to protect people trying to help others from being sued if something goes wrong!.

You just never know what you're getting yourself into when you try to prevent a fight, walk up on someone in distress, etc. It's a pity, but it's the world we live in.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2012, 11:30 PM
In places like NEW YORK here in the states, I've seen stories on the news of folks being left to die in the streets. I"m proud to say that sort of thing is less likely to happen here in Atlanta. Not to say we don't have crime and crazy, cause we do. But folks are not ok with watching someone just get hurt and doing nothing around here from what I've seen.

My Sister for example got in a bad car wreck and nearly died, someone stopped and blocked traffic with their car until an ambulance arrived. This was years ago, but a great example.

QUOTE (Bossie @ Dec 21 2012, 01:36 PM) *
A hot topic in our country with exploding crime rates. For example last week a guy took a punch and fell down...to be discovered
after a few hours ..Dead! Still lot's of people saw him on the street struggling to breath and he was lying directly under a well observed policecamera.

This video is about a team of actors who are trying to demonstrate the shocking 'bystander effect' ...makes you speechless and sometimes surviving is all about what you are wearing etc etc ....

Would you help a person in need....???Guess nobody can answer the question for themself..

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 22 2012, 06:10 AM
In general I'd definitely help, since it could be that is lying there and if someone didn't help me I'd might die, but I honestly think most people in Denmark would help others smile.gif. But things that could feel wrong for me to do it is, if I am in a bad neighborhood in Copenhagen or so, which I'd probably never be, but if I was tongue.gif - the city I live in ATM is populated with 3500 citizens or so tongue.gif , so I almost know everyone or have seen 'em before laugh.gif . But I've heard about this before, I think it was at school and it was someone in Denmark testing it and that was in Copenhagen (Denmark's capital), and a lot of people didn't help, I am not sure if it is just because people think it is just the 'local alcoholic' lying there 'again' passed out. Anyways I'd probably just go over and check and see if everything is alright, also depends on if it is day and night, and what the weather is, if it is -15 and the person is just laying there without any jacket or for that matter just laying there, the person would seriously need some help, since that could end very badly... Or it could just be a person that fell and got knocked out and suddenly no one would help since they just think it is a drunk weirdo..

But I guess it depends a lot on the neighborhood and such.. Here in Denmark there is a town about a 30 minutes drive from mine and everyone that goes to the school there, more or less ends up taking drugs blink.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:04 PM