New Amp Help
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 12 2008, 02:26 PM
GMC:er
Hello everybody. laugh.gif No need for that line tongue.gif I'm OrganisedConfusion biggrin.gif And I'm a muppet laugh.gif

Anyway, the important part. I have a 1981 Marshall JCM800 half stack and I want a new amp and to get rid of this one. It's just too big. It takes up too much space and it is only really fitting of our cover band style. I want something a bit more versatile and smaller but that packs a mean punch. I want it to scream for ear piercing metal and to have that nicely trebly twang for surf and jazz and I want it to have a beautiful clean sound for playing those lovely soft melodic lines. I really want the amp to be around the same price as the amp I'm selling so I'm really looking between the $1000-$2000 range smile.gif Any help would be great.

I'm looking at the Fender '65 Twin Reverb but it might not be good for metal and I really want a tube amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 12 2008, 02:43 PM
This is the paradox all guitarist face, we want insane crushing gain for 1 channel and super fender clean for a different channel. I would just AB two different amps so you get best of both worlds.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 12 2008, 02:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Just dropping a few names.

Orange Rockerverb 50
Engl Blackmore
EVH 5150

if you want a lightweighter
Mesa 5:50
Soldano Astroverb 20watt wink.gif ...ok.. too small for you? laugh.gif

Then there's a cool one from Brunetti (they have several cool models) but one with a 20W poweramp stage and a 100W poweramp stage in the same amp. One stage runs on EL84 and the other on EL34

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 12 2008, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 12 2008, 01:46 PM) *
Just dropping a few names.

Orange Rockerverb 50
Engl Blackmore
EVH 5150

if you want a lightweighter
Mesa 5:50
Soldano Astroverb 20watt wink.gif ...ok.. too small for you? laugh.gif

Then there's a cool one from Brunetti (they have several cool models) but one with a 20W poweramp stage and a 100W poweramp stage in the same amp. One stage runs on EL84 and the other on EL34

Cool I will do some research on these lot. Any others that people want to recommend? I need at least a 50W tube amp as we play some big gigs and a lot of the time don't mic up amps.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 12 2008, 03:39 PM
Hughes and Kettner heads!The switchblade has the bonus of some on board digital FX with a good verb and delay too:)

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
enforcer
Nov 15 2008, 05:30 PM
Line6 Spider amps are great I think, these are full digital amps but have near perfect tube emulation. It is really hard to tell the difference.

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 15 2008, 05:48 PM
It has to be a tube amp. I really detest digital amps.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 15 2008, 05:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
The switchblade by hughes and kettner! Either as a 50 watt top or 50watt combo...
All tube, 4 channels (jazzy and crystal clear clean; a british crunch; a singing lead channel and a brutal Ultra channel). Comes with some decent onboard effects too. Just ask MickeM about it!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
inertia
Nov 15 2008, 08:19 PM
be careful with the Fender Twin, it may be hard to get the sound you want with pedals...I've seen a bunch of players using high gain pedals with the Fender Deville 410, specifically the new Visual Sound V2 Jeckyll and Hyde is an amazing pedal for blues all the way up to metal, the OD side if it based on a ts808, works awesome with tube amps, there are a lot of sound clips for it at the visual sound web site. If you want strictly amp distortion, there are a ton of options, however I think it may be hard to get an amp with really nice fender cleans and blistering metal without pedals, most of the heavy metal amps have pretty sterile cleans imo...I would look at Engls and Mesa Boogies and perhaps some of the Peavey high gains, maybe one has a nice clean channel (JSX, 6505 etc)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 08:32 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Nov 12 2008, 02:26 PM) *
Hello everybody. laugh.gif No need for that line tongue.gif I'm OrganisedConfusion biggrin.gif And I'm a muppet laugh.gif

Anyway, the important part. I have a 1981 Marshall JCM800 half stack and I want a new amp and to get rid of this one. It's just too big. It takes up too much space and it is only really fitting of our cover band style. I want something a bit more versatile and smaller but that packs a mean punch. I want it to scream for ear piercing metal and to have that nicely trebly twang for surf and jazz and I want it to have a beautiful clean sound for playing those lovely soft melodic lines. I really want the amp to be around the same price as the amp I'm selling so I'm really looking between the $1000-$2000 range smile.gif Any help would be great.

I'm looking at the Fender '65 Twin Reverb but it might not be good for metal and I really want a tube amp.

Personally I find my Marshall TSL really versatile. Great clean and crunch sound, aswell as lead.
Also has a direct DI output, so you can plug to your comp and get valve sound.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor
Check out ENGL combos 50W versions, they have great cleans and distortion as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 15 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Check out ENGL combos 50W versions, they have great cleans and distortion as well.

Engl aswell is awesome, agreed.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 15 2008, 09:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Noangels @ Nov 12 2008, 03:39 PM) *
Hughes and Kettner heads!The switchblade has the bonus of some on board digital FX with a good verb and delay too:)

I agree but didn't mention it myself, by now it gows without saying laugh.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Nov 16 2008, 12:10 AM
Check out the Mesa Boogie Roadster combo. Beautiful cleans, crushing gain, and everything in between. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Nov 16 2008, 12:48 AM
+1 on the rockerverb 50.
Couple cabinet suggestions-Marshall 1960A+Orange 4x12

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 16 2008, 01:00 AM
I will check out all these amps smile.gif I can't wait to try some of these out although there are zero music shops anywhere near me which sucks sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:26 PM