> "peak Beard"? Post 9/11 Facial Hair
Todd Simpson
post Jun 8 2019, 09:44 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

It seems that we are nearing "PEAK BEARD" here in Amurica. It started with Special Forces operators given the right to wear facial hair to gain the trust of locals in the middle east. It's filtered down to every dude in the states. Great article about it. What do you guys think?

https://newrepublic.com/article/154033/amer...e=pocket-newtab
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mertay
post Jun 11 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Not allowed here in Turkey, there are some various reasons to my knowledge;

-Some shape/cuts can be adopted as political symbolism
-Can't be taken care (hygiene) of on missions up to 2 weeks or more on mountains.
-Its one of those things that help him belonging to the army psychology on the long run. Shaving daily is a small part of it but since all buddies are shaved with similar hair-cut, keeps the brotherhood thing better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jun 11 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.329

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 11 2019, 06:05 PM) *
Not allowed here in Turkey, there are some various reasons to my knowledge;

-Some shape/cuts can be adopted as political symbolism
-Can't be taken care (hygiene) of on missions up to 2 weeks or more on mountains.
-Its one of those things that help him belonging to the army psychology on the long run. Shaving daily is a small part of it but since all buddies are shaved with similar hair-cut, keeps the brotherhood thing better.

I overdid thinking about it. I thought the psychological trick was this: if everyone looks as similar as possible, it is easier to come to terms with their death if that happens on a battlefield because soldier X was one of many. Having distinguishable features strengthens one's diversity and identity and it's probably much harder to say goodbye in such case. I didn't imagine such small things would help to develop bonds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 15 2019, 05:05 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

In the states, it is just about being able to wear a gas mask properly or so they say. Also, i'm sure it helps with morale and discipline to have everyone shave every day and sorta look the same wink.gif

QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 11 2019, 01:37 PM) *
I overdid thinking about it. I thought the psychological trick was this: if everyone looks as similar as possible, it is easier to come to terms with their death if that happens on a battlefield because soldier X was one of many. Having distinguishable features strengthens one's diversity and identity and it's probably much harder to say goodbye in such case. I didn't imagine such small things would help to develop bonds.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 11:23 PM