Mixing Metal Vocals..
enlo22
Dec 19 2012, 09:57 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
So a friend of mine recently got a mic called Yeti and we used it over something i had made, but we had problems mixing it to sound just right. the vocals are meant to sound "crazy" or more or less guttural but not so much as newer bands etc.. more of an old school death metal sound.. I just want to record the voice as is which is what we did here, just having problems mixing it. I was wondering on tips to fix/critiques..

https://soundcloud.com/enlo22/nostalgic-dead-and-endless

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 19 2012, 10:27 AM
GMC:er
I hate to be that guy, and I'm almost never that guy that says "It's your gear", but in this case it definitely is your gear. Well, for a big part of it. USB microphones like that will not get the results you want, get a real microphone with an XLR input and a good audio interface and you'll be much happier with the results. A large diaphragm microphone would be a good choice, even a cheap MXL 990. I use a Rode NT1-A personally.

After that, if you're recording cleans get a pop filter and use some compression to make it "sit right", and reverb or delay to create some space, separation and make it a bit more "real" sounding. For screams make sure to get the singer to take a step back to clean them up a bit and make them less bassy. Growls are the same, but some people record them with a very directional mic pointed at their mouth, fairly close. Find what works for you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Dec 19 2012, 10:28 AM
That sounds awesome, great song man, personally i would pull the vocals down by a small amount and add just a little bit of reverb to them or a delay that is barely audibl.
But great track anyway.

This post has been edited by Patrik Berg: Dec 19 2012, 10:29 AM

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 19 2012, 11:26 AM
Instructor
Great tips so far. Only thing I'd add is you might want to apply a Hi-Pass filter to the vox.. this is basically a low end cut which gets rid of any excess/needless boomy frequencies.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2012, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Connor's post is very useful! Adding some effects (delay, reverb) and maybe recording another track of the voice doing the same could really help. We used to do that with Lian Gerbino when we recorded some of his music and the GMC hits "Where is Santa" and "Samhain: One Celtic Night".

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
enlo22
Dec 19 2012, 08:30 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 19 2012, 09:27 AM) *
I hate to be that guy, and I'm almost never that guy that says "It's your gear", but in this case it definitely is your gear. Well, for a big part of it. USB microphones like that will not get the results you want, get a real microphone with an XLR input and a good audio interface and you'll be much happier with the results. A large diaphragm microphone would be a good choice, even a cheap MXL 990. I use a Rode NT1-A personally.

After that, if you're recording cleans get a pop filter and use some compression to make it "sit right", and reverb or delay to create some space, separation and make it a bit more "real" sounding. For screams make sure to get the singer to take a step back to clean them up a bit and make them less bassy. Growls are the same, but some people record them with a very directional mic pointed at their mouth, fairly close. Find what works for you.

Alright, thanks man, I was wondering what a large diaphragm microhone? sorry i'm new at this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2012, 12:37 AM

Here is a pic of the microphone in question. I've got one of these and they are really worth it. You can get one for about 50 Euro @ any music store online typically.

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/900-series/990/
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Dec 19 2012, 02:30 PM) *
Attached Image

Alright, thanks man, I was wondering what a large diaphragm microhone? sorry i'm new at this.

The YETI is perhaps not your best choice for vocal recording. As was mentioned, the MXL 990 is a great choice any home studio. It does require "Phantom Power" which is provided by your audio interface. Assuming of course, you have an audio interface. There are some really handy, really cheap audio interface devices that will let you use real mics. For example, the

BLUE ICICLE (about $35 U.S)'
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 20 2012, 12:38 AM

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jan 8 2013, 09:20 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Sorry to revive this thread, BUT i saw that musicians friend is having a mic for sale called Mxl 910 .... I was wondering if this would work! hopefully someone replies soon, because i was liking the 990 but if this is better for what i need it for and it's cheaper for one day I would like to take advantage!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2013, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Talking about metal vocals, let's me add this mic that it's very used for powerful voices... I have seen singers like Corey Taylor and even Hayley Williams using it...

Please check this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2013, 08:21 PM
It's a FINE mic!!!! Make sure to pay about HALF of the retail price if possible.

Todd

QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jan 8 2013, 03:20 AM) *
Sorry to revive this thread, BUT i saw that musicians friend is having a mic for sale called Mxl 910 .... I was wondering if this would work! hopefully someone replies soon, because i was liking the 990 but if this is better for what i need it for and it's cheaper for one day I would like to take advantage!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 9 2013, 12:55 PM
Instructor
Unfortunately the SC link is not available anymore sad.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 10 2013, 12:40 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
As a general rule mixing metal vocals like that, and this is just a general rule I've learned mixing vocals - is that with growls/screams, most everything below 130-150hz is garbage, and can be cut, giving the vocals plenty of room and breath in the mix. A nice room reverb always adds a nice feel, and recording yourself multiple times helps create a solid, full sound.

I had a vocalist on my album who sent me 20 layers of vocals, divided into four layers for each section of specific verses. Its a lot of work but the end product is amazing.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2013, 09:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 9 2013, 11:40 PM) *
As a general rule mixing metal vocals like that, and this is just a general rule I've learned mixing vocals - is that with growls/screams, most everything below 130-150hz is garbage, and can be cut, giving the vocals plenty of room and breath in the mix. A nice room reverb always adds a nice feel, and recording yourself multiple times helps create a solid, full sound.

I had a vocalist on my album who sent me 20 layers of vocals, divided into four layers for each section of specific verses. Its a lot of work but the end product is amazing.

I agree with this - it's the way we have done things with our EP. I have recorded my voice twice for each line - main or backing. It always sounds fuller and stronger. Although, when doing this, the greatest nemesis were the note lengths - sometimes it seemed so darn difficult to stop the phrase at the exact same moment and with the exact same intensity as the first one I recorded. I guess it only comes with experience smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:47 PM