Gmc Songwriting, Suggestion
Pizzoaro
Sep 28 2008, 11:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi all!

Just an idea, but what if GMC had its own "songwriting section"?
Like, more lessons on songwriting, helping, tips, ideas?

I find it really hard to write good songs! I really have to work a lot, and going solo isnt easy, cause u dont have anyone but yourself to judge! Am i the onlly one?

I think it would be cool with such another upgrade!

Anyone agree?

-Lars

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 28 2008, 11:47 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hey Lars, we do have something similar.....

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=89

Check out Luciana's pinned thread at the top for some guidance.

Check out all the lyrics that others have posted. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 28 2008, 11:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah nice idea Lars. More lesson on songwriting could be awesome.
I think Ivan did a lesson which is called full song lesson or soemthing like that where he explain how to write a song

Edguy

PS: here ist the link https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...writing-lesson/

This post has been edited by edguy: Sep 28 2008, 11:57 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 29 2008, 12:03 AM
Instructor
It would be a hard topic to understand.

Everybody has different approach when writing songs. Somebody likes to have lyrics written first and somebody not. Songwriting is a process where one expresses his/her feelings through the music in that moment and it might not work always. You have to be well motivated and well inspired by something to write a song. It doesn't go just like "hey I have some spare time, I am going to write a song now". A song like that might work and might not. You never know what will people like as everybody has different musical taste. Things are only looking good as long as you are happy with your result and even better if your audience is happy.

Because of all this, I think that lessons like that wouldn't be much useful as everybody would suggest different things. There are no unique rules for doing a piece of art like that and therefore a lesson wouldn't help.

Try to write something and ask friends if they like it (but only honest ones). Then you can continue from there. Comments on your work can always tell you if you are on a good way.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Sep 29 2008, 12:16 AM
Great guys, and i see ur point Emir, but thats not how im thinking...

I thought maybe an own board JUST for songwriting, where people can upload their songs and get serious comments! Like so people can see the progress of the song! u get me?

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 29 2008, 12:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Sep 29 2008, 12:16 AM) *

I thought maybe an own board JUST for songwriting, where people can upload their songs and get serious comments! Like so people can see the progress of the song! u get me?

Oh yes. That's always interesting to hear and comment. I have just listened to some metal riffs in the uploads section.

I understood that you were trying to make new section on the website with live recorded lessons about songwriting.

sorry I got it wrong then

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 29 2008, 03:04 AM
Instructor
I agree with Emir here, it is hard to teach songwriting, but a few pointers can be given as far as finding the hook, deciding what should be used for chorus, verse, to include a bridge, if use some key change to add something to the song, or take away a few chords. Best advice I can give is when you think of an idea that is cool, record it and then work from there, often it is useful to get a producer involved after having a few ideas.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Sep 29 2008, 07:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 28 2008, 08:03 PM) *
It would be a hard topic to understand.

Everybody has different approach when writing songs. Somebody likes to have lyrics written first and somebody not. Songwriting is a process where one expresses his/her feelings through the music in that moment and it might not work always. You have to be well motivated and well inspired by something to write a song. It doesn't go just like "hey I have some spare time, I am going to write a song now". A song like that might work and might not. You never know what will people like as everybody has different musical taste. Things are only looking good as long as you are happy with your result and even better if your audience is happy.

Because of all this, I think that lessons like that wouldn't be much useful as everybody would suggest different things. There are no unique rules for doing a piece of art like that and therefore a lesson wouldn't help.

Try to write something and ask friends if they like it (but only honest ones). Then you can continue from there. Comments on your work can always tell you if you are on a good way.

wise words here! as emir says... there´s no rules to make a song. just start with one note, one chord, one word, everything could be the beginning of something great.

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 29 2008, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I could really use some tips on songwriting since everything a ever try to write ends up with nothing.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 29 2008, 08:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Sep 29 2008, 01:16 AM) *

You can upload to the uploads section and ask for some constructive critisism and tips on how to better or proceed. That usually works fine.

QUOTE (superize @ Sep 29 2008, 09:15 AM) *
I could really use some tips on songwriting since everything a ever try to write ends up with nothing.

I think that's very common.
I got a tip from a friend who's a pro music composer - and for the record he's been on "Melodifestivalen" on several occacions and have worked with "Bert" (for us swedes to know wink.gif) so he knows what he's doing. He told me that; if you start with a cool guitar riff chanses are that it won't become a hit song at all. But if you start with a good catchy melody and build the song around that you'll have a much better chance.

And I agree, songwritinglessons would be great. It doesn't matter much that there's no standard format on how to go about writing a song. If we get four, five or a dozen lessons which all have different approactes it's possible to choose whichever fits ones own approach better for those who don't have a clue to get started. So much better I'd say.

A perfect opportunity also for aspiring instructors to give it a go to show their methods and their tools. I think this sounds very interesting and I hope we'll see several "My approach to song writing"-lessons.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 2 2008, 01:30 AM
Instructor
I think this is awesome topic. Some very interesting approaches and opinions.
I plan to do in future lessons about songwriting and I hope you guys will benefit from it. There is so many different approaches but there are also universal things that apply.
I've had different songwriting mentors at Berklee and it really help me to learn and use different styles in song writing.
I look forward to teach you these concepts in future lessons - thanks !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 2 2008, 12:52 PM
Instructor
You can check out my songwriting lesson for some insights mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 2 2008, 01:22 PM
For every 10 riffs I write I tend to keep 1 that I think is good. Songs I am even more critical with. Songwriting is a personal thing in my opinion. Everyone does it in different ways. Just write some riffs and see what you can create from the good riff you have written. Find out the key signature of the riff and just build it up. Start writing simple songs smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 2 2008, 01:34 PM
I think we should make a section called GMC SONGWRITING

in here we can discuss: Song Writing Techniques, Lyrics, and other related issuses.

The lyrics board would be moved here aswell. smile.gif

What do you guys think ?

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Iluha
Oct 2 2008, 02:51 PM
Some poet(don't remember his name) once wrote a line, that explains everything there is to know about songwriting:

That line simply was : "My song is a song, because I say it's a song".

What this means is that songwriting doesn't have rules, it's an artform, that's why there are so many diffrent types of music all around the world.

I think someone said this some time ago on the forum that you should think of a song like an open canvas, you'r musical instrument/s, music programs, and hardware in general are you'r working tools, and the music you make with those is you'r painting, you'r art.

So you'r best would be to learn diffrent techniques, theory, effect usage, drum programming, etcetra, etcetra, and hopefully what you learn will help you turn the music in you'r head to reality. smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 2 2008, 04:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Iluha @ Oct 2 2008, 09:51 AM) *
Some poet(don't remember his name) once wrote a line, that explains everything there is to know about songwriting:

That line simply was : "My song is a song, because I say it's a song".

What this means is that songwriting doesn't have rules, it's an artform, that's why there are so many diffrent types of music all around the world.

I think someone said this some time ago on the forum that you should think of a song like an open canvas, you'r musical instrument/s, music programs, and hardware in general are you'r working tools, and the music you make with those is you'r painting, you'r art.

So you'r best would be to learn diffrent techniques, theory, effect usage, drum programming, etcetra, etcetra, and hopefully what you learn will help you turn the music in you'r head to reality. smile.gif

Well said - couldn't agree more!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:03 PM