2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pod
steve25
Jul 30 2007, 02:57 PM
GMC:er
Finally got enough money to get myself a pod:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-podxt/3429

But i heard around the forums about the pod live what is the difference and which is better? For an extra £100 roughly i would expect it to be something really good but what do you think? What are the benefits of it

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 12:11 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 30 2007, 09:57 AM) *
Finally got enough money to get myself a pod:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-podxt/3429

But i heard around the forums about the pod live what is the difference and which is better? For an extra £100 roughly i would expect it to be something really good but what do you think? What are the benefits of it

It does all the recording stuff, plus you can use it as a live effects rig - it has a built in pedal board etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 01:51 AM
You can record with the podxt though, straight through the computer. So is the podxt not good for live?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 30 2007, 08:51 PM) *
You can record with the podxt though, straight through the computer. So is the podxt not good for live?

The Pod XT Live is mostly just a different shape, with a built in pedal board and some extra output options I think, you could use a Pod Live, but you would need to buy a separate floorswitch and expression pedla (if it supports that).

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 02:08 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 31 2007, 03:20 AM) *
The Pod XT Live is mostly just a different shape, with a built in pedal board and some extra output options I think, you could use a Pod Live, but you would need to buy a separate floorswitch and expression pedla (if it supports that).

Ah ok thanks, and are both compatable with most amplifiers or do they have some restrictions?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 31 2007, 09:08 AM) *
Ah ok thanks, and are both compatable with most amplifiers or do they have some restrictions?

This is a whole subject in itself and I am in a rush ... long story short, you have to use a clean amp like a keyboard amp or a PA, NOT a guitar amp. Reason is that the modelling takes the place of the guitar amp sound and pods dont't sound good with modelling plus a real amp.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 07:15 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 31 2007, 04:17 PM) *
This is a whole subject in itself and I am in a rush ... long story short, you have to use a clean amp like a keyboard amp or a PA, NOT a guitar amp. Reason is that the modelling takes the place of the guitar amp sound and pods dont't sound good with modelling plus a real amp.

Couldn't you just use a guitar amp with a clean setting? Take all the effects off and just use nothing but clean?

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jul 31 2007, 07:24 PM
thats what i do and it sounds great

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 07:33 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Jul 31 2007, 07:24 PM) *
thats what i do and it sounds great

You saved my fear of disapointment lol. Well i was reading around other forums about the pod just now and everyone else seems to be using them through guitar amps. Apparently some of the tones sound too digital though is this true? I know yo ucan download custom effects though

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 07:37 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 31 2007, 02:15 PM) *
Couldn't you just use a guitar amp with a clean setting? Take all the effects off and just use nothing but clean?

you can do that but the sound won't be as good as if you had a clean amp. This is because even clean channels on guitar amps intentionally impart character that fights with the modelling in the pod xtl.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 31 2007, 07:37 PM) *
you can do that but the sound won't be as good as if you had a clean amp. This is because even clean channels on guitar amps intentionally impart character that fights with the modelling in the pod xtl.

I see what you mean but even a lot of artists use guitar amps with effects machines and things, and they sound great i guess it depends on what amplifier is used? Surely though you can still get a great sound out of it?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 31 2007, 02:40 PM) *
I see what you mean but even a lot of artists use guitar amps with effects machines and things, and they sound great i guess it depends on what amplifier is used? Surely though you can still get a great sound out of it?

its the modeling that is the problem not the effects. A modeled amp plus a real amp sounds bad together because they both add character to the sound - too much character is bad as the modeling fights with the amp
both adding character in a conflicting way.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 31 2007, 08:01 PM) *
its the modeling that is the problem not the effects. A modeled amp plus a real amp sounds bad together because they both add character to the sound - too much character is bad as the modeling fights with the amp
both adding character in a conflicting way.

Isn't there an option to not have modeling or do you have to? I haven't seen any complaints on it yet so i'm guessing it's still alright with ordinary guitar amplifiers, perhaps it's just better with keyboard amps but people don't realise?

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jul 31 2007, 08:10 PM
I have recently just bought a peavey pv14 mixer and 2 peavey pr12 powered speakers. When i plug in the pod directly to the mixer, it dont sound to great. It sounds a lot better through my little crate combo then through the mixer.

Sorry if im making u mad andrew

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 08:17 PM
don't take my word for it, try it for yourself, its your opinion that counts the most, you have my opinion, I'm not going to argue about it.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 08:19 PM
Well the more opinions i can get the better but i will keep it in mind Andrew.

Rob - i've not heard of those 2 and don't know what they are so i shall look them up. I don't have anything special just an already combo guitar amp at the moment. Also how good is the headphones output on the pod, or does that depend on the quality of the headphones?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 31 2007, 08:55 PM
Instructor
I was always wondering what was that little piece of gear lots of guitar players have on their table biggrin.gif I also saw it in Rusty Cooley's instructionals but had no clue what it is - now when i saw a picture of it i finally know it's POD biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 31 2007, 08:55 PM) *
I was always wondering what was that little piece of gear lots of guitar players have on their table biggrin.gif I also saw it in Rusty Cooley's instructionals but had no clue what it is - now when i saw a picture of it i finally know it's POD biggrin.gif

I was sort of similar, heard OF it but didn't know what all the fuss was about. I take it you've seen the pic from the GAK site?

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Jul 31 2007, 09:30 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 31 2007, 08:19 PM) *
Well the more opinions i can get the better but i will keep it in mind Andrew.

Rob - i've not heard of those 2 and don't know what they are so i shall look them up. I don't have anything special just an already combo guitar amp at the moment. Also how good is the headphones output on the pod, or does that depend on the quality of the headphones?

Ive got 2 of these speakers: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pea...aker?sku=601425

and this mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pea...ixer?sku=631369

And imo when I plug in the pod to that setup it doesn't sound nearly as good through my Crate 212 combo let alone through my peavey valveking. The pod xt live shoold work great with any guitar amp, on a clean setting. The Headphone jack is great provided you have decent headphones. Also you need headphones with 1/8 inch jack.

I guess if you want an experts opinion you should go talk to someone at a local guitar shop.

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 31 2007, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Jul 31 2007, 09:30 PM) *
Ive got 2 of these speakers: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pea...aker?sku=601425

and this mixer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pea...ixer?sku=631369

And imo when I plug in the pod to that setup it doesn't sound nearly as good through my Crate 212 combo let alone through my peavey valveking. The pod xt live shoold work great with any guitar amp, on a clean setting. The Headphone jack is great provided you have decent headphones. Also you need headphones with 1/8 inch jack.

I guess if you want an experts opinion you should go talk to someone at a local guitar shop.

Yeah will do thanks. One more question though, i heard that the way you're setup changes the sound quality for the pod. So the standard setup would be Guitar > PODxt > Amp right? Well there are other ways of setups isn't there have you noticed any certain setups that seem to make it better or worse?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:56 PM