Hammer From Nowhere
steveb
Dec 13 2009, 10:14 PM
GMC:er
I'm not sure if this is the right spot in the forum to ask this question, my apologies if it isn't.

When I hammer on to a note from "nowhere" I get barely any sound. In other words if I start a legato line with just a hammer there's no "punch" and the rest of the line deteriorates. I don't seem to have the same problem if the first note is picked, any ideas why? And, yes when I hammer on, I hit the string pretty darn hard. Any advice much appreciated.......

-Steve

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Dec 13 2009, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Well.. any ideas why... because you didnt pick the first note:) And the pick stroke is much more stronger then just your left hand "hammer of nowhere".

And another thing, why would you not pick the first note of the legato line? It gives you different sound, but I dont think its worth the hassle...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 13 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
You need to tap and release it with more strength. Also, a compression and some gain can help smile.gif

+Quote Post
steveb
Dec 13 2009, 11:10 PM
lol, yeah.. I know when I pick the string it's harder than a plain hammer on. I guess my question sounded pretty stupid when I look at it now. I was working on one of the Steve Luthakur lessons and just can seem to get on of the long legato phrases out with much volume. Thanks guys......

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 13 2009, 11:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
As far as I remember, every legato lick in all the Lukather lessons here on GMC starts with a picked note smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 14 2009, 03:27 AM
Instructor
Hammer on from nowhere can be done, and it can be helpful to to some crazy legato stuff, you need a nice guitar with very low action, distortion and some compression to even out every note.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Dec 14 2009, 05:03 AM
Try to low the strings as nearest to the fretboard as you can (or ask a professional person to do it). This will help you a lot!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 02:07 AM
Instructor
Crank the amp and you will hear all the notes cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:32 PM