Pedalboard Help
stratman79
May 4 2012, 10:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi,

I haven't used pedals for ages buy Im going getting back into using them and decided to put together a board.

I have lots of pedals I've collected over the years, some work some need repairing but going to get that done. I really need some advice regarding bypass loops etc

I also figure I need a power unit for the whole lot and a decent one at that. Voodoo Lab or something.

Right so down to the business.

1st thing I need an AB switch & B runs into the tuner - taking it out of loop.
So next up - what do I do with the bypass loop??
if I have 20pedals do I have to get a couple of bypass loops (20 worth) and then use them instead of the pedals and therefore running them in parallel not series.
Or do I have a bypass loop with 4/8 and then run series of 2-4 pedals within the loop and then operate the pedals within the loop and have some outside the bypass loop.
Or do I set up a sound a OD and delay and thats that sound so switch it on with the bypass loop and I keep them set...
hmm a little confused as you see.

Look forward to your input.

Pedals are:

Boss Tuner
Vox Wah
Ibanez Tube Screamer
EH Memory man
EH Qtron+
Line 6 delay
Rodger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
Rocktron BlackJack
Ernie Ball Volume pedal
Fuzz Face

Considering getting
EH Pog/Boss Octave
EH Holy grail
Small stone/phaser
Compressor??
EQ???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Todd Simpson
May 5 2012, 12:02 AM
GMC:er
I use a multi board and software so I can't help a ton but as for your tuner, if it's got and in and an out, you might be able to
use it as a bypass. Many floor/rack tuners can be set to kill the pass through when tuning. If it has no output, you will need to split off to get to it, but at that point, I"d say get a stomp tuner with pass through and bypass.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
May 5 2012, 08:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ May 4 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Hi,

I haven't used pedals for ages buy Im going getting back into using them and decided to put together a board.

I have lots of pedals I've collected over the years, some work some need repairing but going to get that done. I really need some advice regarding bypass loops etc

I also figure I need a power unit for the whole lot and a decent one at that. Voodoo Lab or something.

Right so down to the business.

1st thing I need an AB switch & B runs into the tuner - taking it out of loop.
So next up - what do I do with the bypass loop??
if I have 20pedals do I have to get a couple of bypass loops (20 worth) and then use them instead of the pedals and therefore running them in parallel not series.
Or do I have a bypass loop with 4/8 and then run series of 2-4 pedals within the loop and then operate the pedals within the loop and have some outside the bypass loop.
Or do I set up a sound a OD and delay and thats that sound so switch it on with the bypass loop and I keep them set...
hmm a little confused as you see.

Look forward to your input.

Pedals are:

Boss Tuner
Vox Wah
Ibanez Tube Screamer
EH Memory man
EH Qtron+
Line 6 delay
Rodger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
Rocktron BlackJack
Ernie Ball Volume pedal
Fuzz Face

Considering getting
EH Pog/Boss Octave
EH Holy grail
Small stone/phaser
Compressor??
EQ???

I can suggest this looper it has a true bypass and you can program it so by pressing one button you will get a few pedals working at the same time!
http://www.prymaxevintage.com/voodoo-lab-p...-bypass-looper/

Let me know if this is what you are looking for if not there is another option!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 5 2012, 09:17 AM
Learning Roadie
For loops and switching options for pedals, though may come at more expense look at http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/switching_systems.html

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
stratman79
May 5 2012, 11:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys

Thanks for the replys..

@ Tod: Reason I want an AB for the tuner is because you want the tuner at the front of the line. Most of them don't have a true bypass so last thing you want to do is put a buffer at the front of your chain when can be easily avoided witha AB. The tuner I have a is a BOSS TU2

@ Poster & Alex.

Yp they are both options that I'm looking at, and to be honest there are a lot of tru-bypass loopers out there and they all seem to do a similar thing.

The question is:
1. Do I have a loop for every pedal? In which case I'd need a 14 looper.
That seems massivily excessive to me.

2.Do I just put the pedals that don't have a true bypass through the looper avoiding the amount buffering as when they are not on they are not in the wiring loop

3.Do I say right I only use my octave when I use my Fuzz so therefore on I have them on the same loop?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks again

+Quote Post
derper
May 5 2012, 06:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
Some of the TOP players here in Portland Oregon use their Boss Tuner at the end of their pedal chain, and don't bypass at all. Obviously, it sounds like you are going for the ULTIMATE pedal setup of pure-perfection and zero signal loss.....but I've seen so many pro players that don't really take it that far, and they achieve amazing tone.

Like anything in music (or life) I find it is very helpful to always realize the reasons, and what you are trying to achieve. If you have a true need to go for an expensive setup, or just the financial means/desire to do so, then by all means go ahead and do it! But if you're simply trying to achieve great live tone, with several pedal effects at your disposal.... it's very possible, without bypassing your tuner for example.

Have fun with it!! I just wanted to mention that, because I've seen guys get "hooked on pedals/effects" for YEARS without ever being happy with it....whereas, in the meanwhile, other guys are out RIPPIN the town to shreds with riffs and live shows with only 1/4th the gear! Keep it in perspective, and do what makes YOU happy as a musician!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (stratman79 @ May 5 2012, 03:21 AM) *
Hi guys

Thanks for the replys..

@ Tod: Reason I want an AB for the tuner is because you want the tuner at the front of the line. Most of them don't have a true bypass so last thing you want to do is put a buffer at the front of your chain when can be easily avoided witha AB. The tuner I have a is a BOSS TU2

@ Poster & Alex.

Yp they are both options that I'm looking at, and to be honest there are a lot of tru-bypass loopers out there and they all seem to do a similar thing.

The question is:
1. Do I have a loop for every pedal? In which case I'd need a 14 looper.
That seems massivily excessive to me.

2.Do I just put the pedals that don't have a true bypass through the looper avoiding the amount buffering as when they are not on they are not in the wiring loop

3.Do I say right I only use my octave when I use my Fuzz so therefore on I have them on the same loop?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks again

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:43 AM