I'm Stuck In Just A Few Good Licks : /, Expanding sounds
Rain
Jun 5 2008, 06:48 PM
GMC:er
Muris,

I just recently picked up guitar (and am a new member here) this past January and I have found myself playing the same sounds over and over again. I feel as if I'm locked into a few decent licks and can't really move beyond them.

What do you think I should practice to expand sound variation?

With the little research that I hvae successfully done, apparently learning the scales is a good thing to do - but doesn't that simply cause you to play the same licks (in this case being scales) over and over?

PS: Please note that one of the reasons I'm having this problem is because my amp only changes "clean" to "unclean" and can change only the Bass and Treble. I have an SP.10 amp and a Fender Starcaster. So, I am aware that once my gear has more buttons and knobs, I will have a better sound variation - even with the same licks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 5 2008, 08:01 PM
QUOTE (Rain @ Jun 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *
Muris,

I just recently picked up guitar (and am a new member here) this past January and I have found myself playing the same sounds over and over again. I feel as if I'm locked into a few decent licks and can't really move beyond them.

What do you think I should practice to expand sound variation?

With the little research that I hvae successfully done, apparently learning the scales is a good thing to do - but doesn't that simply cause you to play the same licks (in this case being scales) over and over?

PS: Please note that one of the reasons I'm having this problem is because my amp only changes "clean" to "unclean" and can change only the Bass and Treble. I have an SP.10 amp and a Fender Starcaster. So, I am aware that once my gear has more buttons and knobs, I will have a better sound variation - even with the same licks.

I hope Muris is okay with me "shouting" out my opinion on things.

1) Scales will only limit you to play the exact scale unless you're very familiar with it and know your theory.

2) Okay, this is what helps me to develop new ideas and do melodic passages etc. This is how I do it and if Muris has another input it would help my playing as well so I'm really looking forward to it.

Learn your scales. When you learn a lick you really like, find out how it's played. Not the name of the notes, but the intervals relative to the root. Like, the fifth, sixth bend up to the seven and then pick octave of the root then a passage down to the seventh below the root and bend up to the root. Now, here's a lick you can use in every diatonic scale you know. Then do so, play it in every possible diatonic scale you know. Play it backwards, sidewards, inside out. Play it clean, distorted. Alternated, tapped, sweeped (if possible). Play it fast, play it slow. If it's done in C major, play the exact same notes but in it's related minor key. See the relation between the notes and the new root, play that in every scale you know. Take the lick and play it (if normally in C major) in G major, but with the exact same notes, maybe change the notes that differ from the old scale.

Sing a melody, pick out the notes by ear, play it on your guitar. Play it in as many positions and octaves as possible, in as many keys as possible. You can follow the proceedure which I described above.

This proceedure takes very very long time in the beginning, but it takes less and less time the more times you do it. + instead of learning one lick, you will learn like twenty licks and not exactly copy the other guitarist. We don't want a new Muris, because we already has one, and he's really good. We want you Rain, we want to listen to your licks, not hear you play Muris licks. wink.gif

Hope I didn't offend you by posting an answer to a question that was for you, Muris.

// Ox

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 5 2008, 08:51 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
BLUES............lot's and lot's of blues!!! If you check out David W's lesson on Brian May he has a spoken video in the beginning about singing your leads as your writing them. If you hum or sing the sounds you want to hear, record them, go back and listen to it you will be surprised. The next step is to try and tab it out.

I hope this is some what helpful

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 5 2008, 08:56 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 5 2008, 11:55 PM
Instructor
Some very good hints guys,thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Now I will obviously add few more advices,
otherwise it'd be hijacking and spoiling in my own board by myself laugh.gif

So,since you're a beginner with just 6 moths of experience
you don't have to worry a lot,it has to be that way.
You say you play few licks over and over?
Easy solution,browse through lessons here,
pick some licks you like and learn them!
And as Oxac said,try to analize it inside out,
way it has been played,your own ways etc.
With learning new licks you'll eventually make few of your own
and as the time passes you'll have your own vocabulary,sort of speech.
Just remember one thing,learn a lot but learn stuff that sound nice
to your ears,that's the main guide. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Rain
Jun 6 2008, 02:19 AM
Thanks for all of the great info everyone! I suppose I will do two things then - start learning the minor Pentatonic scales (and eventually all of them) and sort through the given video lessons that have the sound and feel that I want.

It looks like I'm finally getting underway!

Any other advice that you guys can think of?

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 6 2008, 12:16 PM
yeah, if you start by learning the pentatonic scales, start by learning licks that are inside the pentatonic scales, preferably not licks that are in D phrygian or something. That way you'll get your analyzing going, which will be a great practise when it comes to more complicated scales. You know that you have 5 positions in the pentatonic scale? Make sure you know them all!

Just like I told you before. If you have an A minor pentatonic lick, learn how the notes are related to the root. Then play the exact same intervals but set another note (within the same pentatonic scale) as your root. It will the sound a bit different. And while you're at it, make sure that you learn how it's related to the original root. Make sure you practise every key possible, that will open up for lead playing in every key, which is great!

Also, start with the easiest licks you can find, that really sounds good. Then practise them a lot! Make sure every note is clean and make sure that you emphase the right notes etc. Then just rock on!

Good luck.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
RouteOne
Jun 13 2008, 01:48 AM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jun 6 2008, 12:16 PM) *
yeah, if you start by learning the pentatonic scales, start by learning licks that are inside the pentatonic scales, preferably not licks that are in D phrygian or something. That way you'll get your analyzing going, which will be a great practise when it comes to more complicated scales. You know that you have 5 positions in the pentatonic scale? Make sure you know them all!

Just like I told you before. If you have an A minor pentatonic lick, learn how the notes are related to the root. Then play the exact same intervals but set another note (within the same pentatonic scale) as your root. It will the sound a bit different. And while you're at it, make sure that you learn how it's related to the original root. Make sure you practise every key possible, that will open up for lead playing in every key, which is great!

Also, start with the easiest licks you can find, that really sounds good. Then practise them a lot! Make sure every note is clean and make sure that you emphase the right notes etc. Then just rock on!

Good luck.

Oxac,
I'm one one of those repeating for ages paterns - yes, I know the five- but still not naming them. When reading your advice I thought, of course, but as soon as I listened to some licks I couldn't know any longer how to proceed.
Hum, if change root and keep the same intervals will I not change the key, so I wont be anymore in the same pentatonic?
Will you be the perfect coach and show us how it will work, in the same key, and maybe then transposing into another?
Thanks for beeing often making connections.
ps. So, as it may works, if I choose any other note as root of the, for instance, Aminor pentatonic, and I play the same intervals as the original lick, I will be necessarily in the same key?! Argh! I can't fix the picture.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:03 AM