Practice
Paul Coutts
Nov 28 2007, 11:38 AM
GMC:er
The practice question gets asked all the time, lol, but I have another one. Just want some advice, cause I know that you can't give me a practice schedule, they have to be tailored to the individual. Anyway!
I was wondering, Pavel, I set-up a schedule for myself, which involved this everyday:

1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
4. Legato
5. Alt Picking
6. Sweep Picking
7. Tapping
8. Scales (related to CAGED)
9. Arpeggios (related to CAGED)
10. Chords (related to CAGED)

And this pretty much covers my technique work-out. Thing is, I get kinda bored...well, not bored, but I feel this is far to monotous, and by the time the work out is over, my wrists feel too tired to play anything else (i.e songs etc...) so I stop, because I don't want to injure myself.

Anyway, that is my routine for the moment. The reason I try and cram everything in is because I know that repetition and consistency is the key to improving. SO!

I was wondering, would it be better for me to set-up the schedule like this:

Monday:
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
4. Legato

Tuesday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
5. Alt Picking

Wednesday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
6. Sweep Picking

Thursday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
7. Tapping

Friday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
8. Scales (related to CAGED)

Saturday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
9. Arpeggios (related to CAGED)

Sunday-
1. Left Hand Warmpup
2. Right Hand Warmup
3. Left/Right Sync
10. Chords (related to CAGED)

So, now I focus on one technique a day over a week. What I'm asking is, is this enough repetition (if I continue with the same exercise each day of that week until nailed) and consistency to improve? Or do I have to reevaluate the schedule.
I'm fairly tight on time, so I'm really trying to maximize my practicing.
Thanks a lot
(sorry for the REALLY long post)
Cheers,
Paul

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 28 2007, 01:12 PM
Instructor
Hey Paul!

I would stick to your current/first schedule. You should practice the techniques you have chosen each day. Braking schedule in days is not a good thing to do.

Look, i wake up (for example), pick up the guitar and feel that it's a great day to practice sweeping, than i don't care about anything else but practice sweeping all day long. Having a fixed schedule would actually drive me back because that day i was in the mood for sweeping but was practicing legato. I approach practicing with the "mood" kind of thing.

Practicing can get boring and you should not be afraid of it. Stick to your first schedule - at least i like it better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Nov 28 2007, 09:25 PM
okay, I'll stick with it for awhile and let you know....I guess I'm just not used to planning (not a personality trait, at all!)
It's wierd for me to organize, and plan etc... smile.gif
Cheers
Paul

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Gerald
Nov 28 2007, 09:57 PM
I've done something similar, but scaled down, (I'm pretty much at the newb level), for myself. I usually only get 30 minutes to an hour a day on guitar, sometimes no time at all. I have like 12 lessons in tabs, and use to dabble with all of them. Now I created a schedule that includes warm up and jamming for a 30 minute session, and I more or less double the time on lessons if I get an hour. I've also reduced the lessons I practice down to two - Pavel's heavy metal for beginner and Kris's beginner licks.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 28 2007, 10:12 PM
Instructor
Gerald, it's better to do what you did -> make the list shorter and practice until you nail the thing. Good job on doing that! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Nov 29 2007, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I had a good think about it after reading your reply, and I think I'm just trying to tackle too much, too quickly, and development could probably happen quicker if I just narrowed down until I nailed certain things.
Cheers, again

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 29 2007, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Those warm-ups an easily be replaced with simple exercises which will help you with technique and warm you up at the same time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:23 PM