2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wrist With Vibrato
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 04:23 PM
GMC:er
I was just wondering whether you guys thought it was totally necessary to use your wrist with every type of vibrato that you do? I only use my wrist now and then usually on the higher frets when i'm using like 3 fingers to do bigger bends and stuff but other than that i mainly just use my finger muscles.

I noticed that people like Marcus use the wrist all the time. I had a look at how he was doing vibrato on the first lead of the nocturnal vision lesson and the first note on the G string he was using his wrist a lot. I also noticed that guys like Zakk Wylde do the same but i just can't seem to be able to do that. Or at least i can do it a bit but its hellishly slow, i can do it fine using my fingers but i just wondered if this is considered bad practice for whatever reason

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 15 2008, 04:45 PM
Use your ears! smile.gif

How you do it doesn't matter.

But, of course, it doesn't hurt exploring the options.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2008, 05:28 PM
Instructor
Using the wrist is a must for a nice natural, wide, good controlled vibrato. It's all about technique there, and therefore practice. Approach bending like every other practice you do, and vibrato will come out very nice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure about how i'm meant to be moving my wrist. I've tried watching players wrists as they do it but it just doesn't seem to work with me. Sometimes i'll move my wrist and the string doesn't move at all. How can i make sure i'm using my wrist and if you use your wrist are you not supposed to use your fingers at all?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Go for the wrist as often as possible,
with fingers only you cannot get that steady vibrato. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 06:09 PM
Ok well i will practice it but i don't know where i'm doing it right or not. I've tried doing vibrato with just the wrist and the string doesn't move the finger just goes upwards somewhere. Are you meant to do vibrato with both wrist and finger?

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 15 2008, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 15 2008, 12:48 PM) *
Go for the wrist as often as possible,
with fingers only you cannot get that steady vibrato. smile.gif

Angus doesn't have a steady vibrato? laugh.gif

QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 15 2008, 01:09 PM) *
Ok well i will practice it but i don't know where i'm doing it right or not. I've tried doing vibrato with just the wrist and the string doesn't move the finger just goes upwards somewhere. Are you meant to do vibrato with both wrist and finger?

I haven't gotten my vibrato where I'm happy with it yet. But I do have something to add here...

With the wrist motion, I think you need to keep your fretting fingers in place relative to your hand/wrist rather than the strings and frets when you're doing this. If you're moving your hand around but your fingers are staying where they are, you're not doing anything. Vibrato raises and lowers the pitch, so to do it you need to get that string moving.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 10:01 PM
I see what you mean now, with a little messing around i noticed that especially on the lower frets (around 5th) i have to stretch my arm out away from my body so that my wrist and fingers are straight, is this normal? That way it seems to move. However i also notice that the more fingers you put on the harder it is to do this, with just one fingers its ok but i can't do it very fast at all, any excersises i could try?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 11:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 15 2008, 11:01 PM) *
I see what you mean now, with a little messing around i noticed that especially on the lower frets (around 5th) i have to stretch my arm out away from my body so that my wrist and fingers are straight, is this normal? That way it seems to move. However i also notice that the more fingers you put on the harder it is to do this, with just one fingers its ok but i can't do it very fast at all, any excersises i could try?

Just like that,your arm has to go a bit out
specially at lower frets to do good vibrato, no worries there.
On the other hand I found it much easier with more
fingers on the string,feels like powerful stand. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 15 2008, 11:01 PM) *
Just like that,your arm has to go a bit out
specially at lower frets to do good vibrato, no worries there.
On the other hand I found it much easier with more
fingers on the string,feels like powerful stand. smile.gif

Sorry Muris what i meant was when i have more fingers on it is harder to twist my wrist in that direction. Also should i be twisting my wrist round as if shaking it left or right or should my wrist be going outwards away from me. So when i'm doing wide bends and vibratos should i be pushing up with my fingers as well?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:06 AM) *
Sorry Muris what i meant was when i have more fingers on it is harder to twist my wrist in that direction. Also should i be twisting my wrist round as if shaking it left or right or should my wrist be going outwards away from me. So when i'm doing wide bends and vibratos should i be pushing up with my fingers as well?

Up and down vibrato is actually like few small bends
so focus to rotate your wrist like when you're doing bends.
Maybe it's frustrating for you atm but it'll come natural after a while. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 11:14 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 15 2008, 11:09 PM) *
Up and down vibrato is actually like few small bends
so focus to rotate your wrist like when you're doing bends.
Maybe it's frustrating for you atm but it'll come natural after a while. smile.gif

Before when i did bends i wouldn't use my wrist i just pushed my fingers up, it seemed to work fine but if using my wrist will benefit me then i'll try and get out of the habit.

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Jul 15 2008, 11:18 PM
I am still trying to perfect my vibrato... But, you said yours was a bit slow. I would practice with a metronome... That really helps build strength and speed, although speed isn't something you really want to "overdo" with vibrato. Using a tuner is also a good tip to make sure that you get the right sound you desire. You would use the tuner to make sure the height of the bend isn't too much or too little.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 11:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:14 AM) *
Before when i did bends i wouldn't use my wrist i just pushed my fingers up, it seemed to work fine but if using my wrist will benefit me then i'll try and get out of the habit.

Always with wrist, my 2 cents smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 15 2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah i'll try using just wrist from now on, going to be difficult taking out the old habits though. I'll need to start slowly but does your wrist sort of naturally get strongers over time? Using my wrist doesn't allow me to do very wide or fast vibrato which i like to play

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 11:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:22 AM) *
Yeah i'll try using just wrist from now on, going to be difficult taking out the old habits though. I'll need to start slowly but does your wrist sort of naturally get strongers over time? Using my wrist doesn't allow me to do very wide or fast vibrato which i like to play

It surely takes some time,just like everything else,
just don't give up and work hard. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 16 2008, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:22 AM) *
does your wrist sort of naturally get strongers over time?

Definitely! Don't worry about that! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jul 16 2008, 11:19 AM
there's a nice video on Youtube where Jani Liimatainen "duels" syu from Galneryus. There you can see and feel the difference from Jani's "finger vibrato" and Syu "wrist vibrato". Imo, Jani's vibrato is dead, Syu's alive biggrin.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 16 2008, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Jul 16 2008, 11:19 AM) *
there's a nice video on Youtube where Jani Liimatainen "duels" syu from Galneryus. There you can see and feel the difference from Jani's "finger vibrato" and Syu "wrist vibrato". Imo, Jani's vibrato is dead, Syu's alive biggrin.gif

Cool oxac i'll search for that video in a minute unless you have the link?

I was looking on the net last night for some tips to getting a better wrist vibrato and so i'm starting to write myself a practice schedule for this. I was thinking something on the lines of using first finger on first fret and doing vibrato up and then down on all the strings (exceptions being E) and then moving up a fret at a time and doing the same thing. Then do the same with 2 fingers then 3 however its only going to be shallow vibrato because i can't do big bends with my wrist, only with my fingers. Good idea or not?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 16 2008, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Muris is right, just practice a lot of bends and vibrato will come in hand in hand with that.

Also while practicing be sure to make your fingers steady and not curve the fingers. Keep them solid, and get as much support from other fingers behind it as you can. Also when practicing, first see where you are vibrating too, wetter it is half step or whole step, and then VERY SLOWLY go up-down, up-down, while keeping the fingers steady.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:21 AM