What Do You Use For Bass On Backing?
Headbanger
Apr 16 2013, 11:18 AM
GMC:er
What do you use for making Bass lines on your backing tracks? A real Bass? Software VST? Just wondering if there is a standard that everyone goes to like EZ drummer for drums. Any replies much appreciated Thanks!! (I will use Reaper as DAW)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Apr 16 2013, 11:24 AM
I have an octave shifter pedal, so I just throw my guitar signal down an octave when I'm tracking basslines for jam tracks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 16 2013, 11:49 AM
Instructor
I always liked to play bass so I just bought my own and use a real bass for all my recordings. It's a descent quality for the price - Spector Performer 4.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 16 2013, 12:07 PM
Ideally, I'd like to use a real bass, but for all my tracks I use Spectrasonics Trilian.

I don't think there is a 'standard' like EZDrummer though, since none of them sound too great without a lot of midi editing. But, in terms of playability, anything Spectrasonics has released is great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 16 2013, 12:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
+1 for Trilian : http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/trilian.php

The sound samples sound very natural (as long as its possible to do via VST).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 16 2013, 12:53 PM
Interesting replies from everyone...thanks smile.gif ..I would like to get a Bass like Darius, when I have the spare cash one day...The Trilian stuff looks good...but so expensive, I could just about get a cheap Bass at that price...I wish it had a sample VST or something. The octaver shifter sounds like a good idea...it made me wonder if an octaver VST would do the same.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 16 2013, 06:31 PM
Instructor
My 3 recommendations are Trillian, Hallion, and Bass Legends refill by Reason. However, I use real bass every time that I can borrow it from my brother. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 17 2013, 12:34 AM

Yup. You can use your VST octaver and bingo smile.gif Done.

The bass is a great idea, but costs. The Trillian stuff is great, assuming you have a midi input device, and a wad of cash laying about smile.gif So yeah, for home use, on the cheap, grab a free VST octave plugin and go for it wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 16 2013, 06:53 AM) *
Interesting replies from everyone...thanks smile.gif ..I would like to get a Bass like Darius, when I have the spare cash one day...The Trilian stuff looks good...but so expensive, I could just about get a cheap Bass at that price...I wish it had a sample VST or something. The octaver shifter sounds like a good idea...it made me wonder if an octaver VST would do the same.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 17 2013, 12:35 AM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 17 2013, 02:16 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks for the kind words (I wrote Trilian, and playability was a key goal of the design).

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 16 2013, 11:07 AM) *
Ideally, I'd like to use a real bass, but for all my tracks I use Spectrasonics Trilian.

I don't think there is a 'standard' like EZDrummer though, since none of them sound too great without a lot of midi editing. But, in terms of playability, anything Spectrasonics has released is great.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 17 2013, 08:18 AM
Instructor
I use a pluggin which came with the DAW I am using (Samplitude) - it's called Vita smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 17 2013, 05:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star
By the way, you might find this interesting:

We brought Larry Mitchell into the studio for a day to show how he uses Trilian with a midi guitar.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/15061062?tit...&autoplay=0

And here's another one with Chris Vrenna from Nine Inch Nails showing off the hardcore bass.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/10943361?tit...&autoplay=0

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2013, 06:57 AM
RAMMIKIN, you kidding us around here? you "wrote" the trillian software? Seriously? Your a Pro Level Code guy? If so, WELL FREAKING DONE MAN!!!!

Do you have a web site? Or any other bits you are working on? I'm sure we'd love to help beta test smile.gif

Please PM me if you dont' feel like responding in the forum. PM me either way please so I can see this reply in case I miss it.
Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 16 2013, 09:16 PM) *
Thanks for the kind words (I wrote Trilian, and playability was a key goal of the design).

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 18 2013, 07:05 AM
Learning Roadie
Magix Independence with the acoustic and electric bass library

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2013, 08:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 17 2013, 04:39 PM) *
By the way, you might find this interesting:

We brought Larry Mitchell into the studio for a day to show how he uses Trilian with a midi guitar.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/15061062?tit...&autoplay=0

And here's another one with Chris Vrenna from Nine Inch Nails showing off the hardcore bass.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/10943361?tit...&autoplay=0

Dude smile.gif My sincerest congrats for being involved in writing such a thing! Tell us more about it man - it's a great perspective!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 18 2013, 03:08 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Yes, that's what I do for a living. I'm probably better known for some of my other plugin instruments: Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Crystal, or my Crystal Synth XT app for the iPhone/iPad.

http://www.spectrasonics.net
http://www.greenoak.com

As for what I'm working on next, I get asked that a lot, but all I can say is: it's really cool and will be worth the wait smile.gif.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 18 2013, 05:57 AM) *
RAMMIKIN, you kidding us around here? you "wrote" the trillian software? Seriously? Your a Pro Level Code guy? If so, WELL FREAKING DONE MAN!!!!

Do you have a web site? Or any other bits you are working on? I'm sure we'd love to help beta test smile.gif

Please PM me if you dont' feel like responding in the forum. PM me either way please so I can see this reply in case I miss it.
Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2013, 01:43 AM
OK, HOLD THE PHONE, you wrote OMNISPHERE?? Seriously? Were you involved with Jordan Rudess when he got so fond of it? Did you work with him on it? Dude, I"m guessing you have some really spiff stories to share. If it would not be an imposition, I'd certainly like to hear more, I'm sure others would as well.

Would you maybe start a thread about your general experience and creative process during your work creating these things? I'd love to read it smile.gif

if not, I understand, PM me and let me know if you would so I don't miss the answer!!

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 18 2013, 10:08 AM) *
Yes, that's what I do for a living. I'm probably better known for some of my other plugin instruments: Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Crystal, or my Crystal Synth XT app for the iPhone/iPad.

http://www.spectrasonics.net
http://www.greenoak.com

As for what I'm working on next, I get asked that a lot, but all I can say is: it's really cool and will be worth the wait smile.gif.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 19 2013, 02:54 AM
Learning Roadie
It's an honor to have you here Rammikin. smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 19 2013, 10:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Rammikin, I love you, Omnisphere almost makes me want to give up guitar and be a full time synth player

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:26 PM