2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Modes Collaboration Finished And Mixed!, Download the mp3 and read the feedback!
David Wallimann
Jul 30 2007, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Hi guys - I finished mixing your leads in the backing track! smile.gif

First of all I want to thank all of you for your hard work. I know that some of you went through a few trouble recording and I am very impressed with your hard work. Also, I am very pleased that this collaboration groups players from different levels.

Since I only had your leads, I tried to make them fit on the backing track, I hope that's how you played it over the track...

Here are my thoughts on what you guys did - a suggestion would be to lsiten to the mp3 while reading the comments for each member!

Attached File  finishedmodes.mp3 ( 2.08MB ) Number of downloads: 1630

Ionian (Nick325)
You stayed in the right key for the most part, but a few notes seem a little off... I like some of your ideas but I would try to organize them a little better. My advice would be to play the backing track without your guitar and sing a melody over it. It doden't have to be very complicated but if you do that next time you work on creating a lead you will come up with realy good melodic ideas. Great first collab though! Good job!

Dorian (Ezravdb)

I really like the way you constructed your lead. You started with a nice melodic arpeggio and slowly moved towards more technical licks. Overall your lead has a beggining, middle technical section, and closing. I would continue developing your technique by taking all the licks you played very slow to focus on a clean picking. Doing that will bring you to a much higher level fast. Great job!

Phrygian (Stratman58)

Good job on following the notes of the scale! You picked a mode that isn't very easy to play over, but you managed to capture the "colour" of that mode very well. My suggestion for next time would be to put the guitar down for a minute and just sing over the backing track.. Then reproduce what you sang on your guitar. I think you'll come up with very cool ideas that way. Good job!

Lydian (Andrew)

Excellent job on the lydian part. Your lead is very melodic and is well focused on the important augmented 4th from the Lydian mode...
Great job!

Mixolydian (Tank)

Very good construction of your lead. I think your strength is in expression, I hear a very pleasant and controled vibrato on the longer notes. The faster parts are cool too. I would work on the flahy parts. Break them down to smaller parts and practice and analyze all the movements and eliminate all unnecessary noises... Very good job!

Aeolian (Jeff)

Very nice melodic lead. I love your ideas and how you mixed nice melodies with interesting technical ideas like the sweep you did... I think you need mostly to work on improving your rythm. It's good, but you will gain a lot by working on sequences with metronome.. I am taking that advice for myself as well.. :-) Good job!

Locrian (MickeyM)

You did a really great job with the locrian! That mode is not very comfortable to play with because of all the tension it has.. But you did great! Only thing is that I would focus moire on resolvinbg all your ideas by going back and staying a little longer on the root of the scale. Good job!

That's it for the first collaboration. Once again thank you so much for your hard work. You all did an excellent job! I hope the comments I made were insightful. Those are my suggestions, and are only meant to help you improve. You already are at a descent level and I think that if you apply the ideas I gave you you will become a better musician. There's always something new to learn. Thanks again and I will see you soon on the next collaboration!

--David

Editorial note: For those of you who aren't familiar with David Wallimann - be sure to check out some of his lessons - as he has covered many interesting theory topics:

Metalhead
Learning the modes
Mixolydian Pentatonics
Phrygian Dominant Soloing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 30 2007, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
Great stuff!

David, is it possible to make all of the different parts the same level? I noticed that there is some variance in volume between them all.

Lastly, and I'm sure I beat Andrew to this (tongue.gif), should you copy this post and put it into the completed collab thread? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5594

I look forward to hearing more of these and participating myself shortly!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 30 2007, 06:10 PM
Instructor
It's kind of hard to ,mix all at the same level..
I tried my best to give this a natural feel but since all the leads were recorded at different levels, I had to tweak at my best...
I think Kris will take care of adding to the finished collabs thread.
I'm looking forward to the next collab and hope to have you on it!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 30 2007, 06:11 PM
GMC Founder
This is absolutely brilliant - I must also say that ALL the participants did an excellent job, expecially considering the difference in levels!

Thanks David! biggrin.gif

PS It took aprox 20 seconds for the mp3 to get it's first 10 downloads... blink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 30 2007, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Wow!
That's great!
Looking forward to the next ones..
Maybe this new section will be a big part of GMC now. :-)

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 30 2007, 01:11 PM) *
This is absolutely brilliant - I must also say that ALL the participants did an excellent job, expecially considering the difference in levels!

Thanks David! biggrin.gif

PS It took aprox 20 seconds for the mp3 to get it's first 10 downloads... blink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2007, 06:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Good suggestion on how to improve my playing, I'll work on that part finding my way back to the root note.

Thanks David! :-)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 30 2007, 06:22 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Jul 30 2007, 07:12 PM) *
Wow!
That's great!
Looking forward to the next ones..
Maybe this new section will be a big part of GMC now. :-)

Yes I hope so too! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 30 2007, 06:36 PM
I will admit I was a tad bit skeptical of this forum but I am very happy to see it blossoming not only quickly, but in a very ear pleasing fashion!

+Quote Post
lliber
Jul 30 2007, 06:48 PM
where can i find the backing track to practice with

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 30 2007, 06:57 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lliber @ Jul 30 2007, 07:48 PM) *
where can i find the backing track to practice with

Click the is link - or got to the collaborations board!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&id=1063

--------------------

+Quote Post
aerohit
Jul 30 2007, 07:22 PM
Hey, I was wondering if people who have nice drum machines or drum softwares can make drum tracks to jam along. Most of us either dont have one or dont know how to make a nice jamm along drum track. This would also be some respite from the boring metronome.

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 30 2007, 07:27 PM
David,

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to do this. It was fun. I really appreciate your suggestions. I just learned that scale before I played it on this song so it was totally unfamiliar to me. But I like it now and I want to practice it a lot more - especially with the metronome! This will help! thank you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 30 2007, 07:58 PM
Very nice im going to have to join up and maybe due the next one smile.gif.
I dont have any recording gear though sad.gif

But wow Andrew your lead was very well constructed.

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jul 30 2007, 08:52 PM
This was definitely a great learning experience for me, thanks for the pointer Wallimann! I also love the diversity in skill level of the 7 players in this! I'm going to continue to use the backing as a practice tool smile.gif

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 30 2007, 10:17 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Cool stuff guys, turned out great!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 30 2007, 10:19 PM
Instructor
Guys,you did and awesome job,congrats to all!!
Let me know when something new is up,most hit few notes!!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
atomix1337
Jul 30 2007, 10:41 PM
Wow man, this is an EXCELLENT display of community involvement, getting us involved, making cool tracks, and best of all, learning! Now I can listen to this to get inspired when i go to play in different modes, to a get a feel of them (when i learn how to phrase :|).

Awesome compilation nonetheless.

Oh, and I think this should be done as often as possible!

(Please!)

This post has been edited by atomix1337: Jul 30 2007, 10:43 PM

--------------------
Gear: Ibanez VBT700BK, Ibanez RG270 Custom Painted (JB/Jazz pups), Strat Knockoff, Marshall V8080, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss MT-2, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Korg AX1G MultiFX.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 30 2007, 11:38 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Thanks for the comments Dave smile.gif That was my first real effort at Lydian, but your excellently constructed backing track made it easy, with the pedal bass note and the cunning chord selection smile.gif It has given me a lot more confidence playing the various modes.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 30 2007, 11:44 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (atomix1337 @ Jul 30 2007, 11:41 PM) *
Wow man, this is an EXCELLENT display of community involvement, getting us involved, making cool tracks, and best of all, learning! Now I can listen to this to get inspired when i go to play in different modes, to a get a feel of them (when i learn how to phrase :|).

Awesome compilation nonetheless.

Oh, and I think this should be done as often as possible!

(Please!)

This is awesome feedback for the crew - thanks! biggrin.gif

I also want remind you that Andrew has worked hard to make this happen - coordinating instructors (more collaborations are to follow). Also, the idea originates from a post MickeM did earlier!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 31 2007, 03:53 PM
thanks for the feedback Walliman, the result sounds great together.

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:34 PM