Buckethead, How about some chicken for lunch?
KRmachine
Sep 11 2007, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
Sadly they don't serve chicken at Bucketheadland sad.gif

Anyway, I've probably seen every single buckethead video on youtube, most of them multiple times, so I thought I'd post a guide to some of the best so you can watch, enjoy, and possibly even learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DEKFissl4
Buckethead's guitar lesson - the only thing this teaches you is humility, as he doesn't play anything slow or explain what he's actually doing. Watch out for the sweep tapping at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGt4J9oBKKo
Night of the slunk, cool song with a riff that sounds a bit like jordan, sick solo coming at 3:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkh7ZiQmso
Whitewash, ballad-ish song from the album Colma, very calm and soothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aY2CLrGx4
A new song that hasn't appeared on any album, still pretty damn awesome with some great riffs and soloing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDY3rD71Ic
Welcome to bucketheadland, sweet song with a main riff that's a definite homage to Randy Rhoads, he does an awesome improvised solo after the regular solo in this version (3:30 and on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q3p_o8A6g
Buckethead in the beginning! He had just become Buckethead and is around age 21 in this clip, playing a bit for his family in his back yard. His technique isn't as flawless as it is now, but damn he could shred back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61k041I4aEo
A 100% Improvised solo from the song 'The Interworld and The New Innocence'. Very melodic and soulful playing, with his drummer (Brain) showing off in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqy4G74afc
Soothsayer! A really really good song that starts off slow and builds up into an awesome awesome solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtR-UAp614
Buckethead covering B.B King's 'The thrill is gone' at a private party, the bass screws with the microphone a bit unfortunately but this really shows he can do more than shred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7plGs3RP0
Most of you probably have seen this one, it's Buckethead's Nightrain solo with Guns n' Roses, if you like Slash you probably won't like this one. He does this way better than Slash in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlN1ae4lxDc
Knocking on heaven's door with GNR, Solo from 3:13 and behind Axls vocals after that. Definitely the best version of this solo I've ever heard, Buckethead really makes the song here. Even though he's nowhere in sight for the entire video it's quite obvious that it's him playing.

Well, I've left some good ones out but that should be enough to start you off, I wouldn't check all these at once but take a couple every day or so and let them sink in. Enjoy!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
DeepRoots
Sep 11 2007, 05:42 PM
Get to da Chopper!
thanks for the selection- he sure is a great guitarist.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Sep 11 2007, 07:00 PM
Mmm, chicken... That really is some great vids.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chast
Sep 12 2007, 02:44 AM
Learning Roadie
I dont know what to say about Buckethead except that he is a "little bit" crazy.
But anyway he is a great guitarist with a good sense for melody, I think.
My favourite video of your posted links "Night of the Slunk", its groovin' smile.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 12 2007, 04:24 AM
Lets go fishing!
I think my you tube says it all laugh.gif www.youtube.com/mattacuk

Id love to know what pedals would get a buckethead style tone! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Sep 12 2007, 05:42 AM
Flashback, folks! tongue.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3925

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 12 2007, 05:54 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 12 2007, 05:24 AM) *
I think my you tube says it all laugh.gif www.youtube.com/mattacuk

Id love to know what pedals would get a buckethead style tone! smile.gif

I don't think his pedals are a big part of his tone, He's got a Les Paul 1959 Custom with DiMarzio pickups and a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier (sometimes two he runs in stereo), his effects are mostly just a Cry Baby wah, and occasionally a whammy pedal. He probably has stuff like a compressor and a noise gate too, and a touch of delay (or a lot if he's playing big sur moon).

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 12 2007, 06:12 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (InstruMental Case @ Sep 12 2007, 05:42 AM) *

Yeah this topic comes up every couple months i know laugh.gif But then, so do ALOT of topics on GMC wink.gif

Another popular bi-monthly topic is "How long do you practice for?" laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 12 2007, 11:21 PM
thanks KRmachine...those are some great clips that really show BH's diversity. I think i will be looking into getting more of his work now.

as for the bucket and mask....i hope to see it eventually go. however, if his stage fright is too great and he needs such a crutch, then so be it. i just think in the long run, he is risking becoming a caricature of himself.

+Quote Post
lefty01
Sep 12 2007, 11:54 PM
Does anyone else think, that Buckethead would be great working with Rob Zombie?

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 13 2007, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (KRmachine @ Sep 12 2007, 04:54 AM) *
I don't think his pedals are a big part of his tone, He's got a Les Paul 1959 Custom with DiMarzio pickups and a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier (sometimes two he runs in stereo), his effects are mostly just a Cry Baby wah, and occasionally a whammy pedal. He probably has stuff like a compressor and a noise gate too, and a touch of delay (or a lot if he's playing big sur moon).

Wikipedia on Buckethead's equipment

(slightly edited for formatting)

Gibson Les Paul - 1959 heavily modified, with all white hardware and covered DiMarzio pickups
Gibson Les Paul - 1969 heavily modified, all white hardware, killswitch, and uncovered DiMarzio pickups
Gibson SG
Gibson SST
Gibson Chet Atkins
Jackson Y2KV - "coopwood" custom made, with larger body and headstock
Jackson Y2KV - "KFC" same as the "coopwood", only with the KFC red stripes, Di Marzio X2N PUs, kill switch and an Original Floyd Rose (that he never uses)
Jackson doubleneck - a custom doubleneck half guitar, half bass
ESP MII custom - used throughout his concert in the Wetlands, broken as seen in one of the Binge Clips
Steinberger GS "Kaiser's Gift"
Ibanez X Series Rocket Roller II - used throughout the Praxis era
Takamine Acoustic

Amplifiers
Peavey Renown
Peavey 5150 head on a Marshall 1960 Slant 4x12 cab
Diezel Herbert
Mesa Boogie Triple rectifier
VHT Pittbull 50 watt heads
Matt Wells 17 1/2 watt head wired through a Harry Kolbe 4x12 cab

Effects
Digitech Whammy II (and IV)
Dunlop Cry Baby
BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor
BOSS RC-20 Loop Station
Roger Mayer Octavia
DOD Electronics FX-25B envelope filter
Alesis MidiVerb II
Roland SE-50 multi-effector
Rocktron Intellifex multi-effects
a custom bicompROSSor by AnalogMan
MXR EVH phase 90
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Electro-Harmonix Micro Synthesizer

QUOTE (KRmachine @ Sep 11 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Sadly they don't serve chicken at Bucketheadland sad.gif

Anyway, I've probably seen every single buckethead video on youtube, most of them multiple times, so I thought I'd post a guide to some of the best so you can watch, enjoy, and possibly even learn something.

By the way, thanks for this. I've seen most of these but there's some new ones to me too.

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Sep 13 2007, 02:50 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 13 2007, 02:52 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Buckethead is just cool

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 14 2007, 01:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (bart m @ Sep 12 2007, 11:21 PM) *
thanks KRmachine...those are some great clips that really show BH's diversity. I think i will be looking into getting more of his work now.

as for the bucket and mask....i hope to see it eventually go. however, if his stage fright is too great and he needs such a crutch, then so be it. i just think in the long run, he is risking becoming a caricature of himself.

I have been listening to buckethead for sometime now, bought all his albums and recently his DVD's. I feel he wears the mask as part of the act, its just a fun part of his personality IMO smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 14 2007, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 13 2007, 06:45 PM) *
I have been listening to buckethead for sometime now, bought all his albums and recently his DVD's. I feel he wears the mask as part of the act, its just a fun part of his personality IMO smile.gif

well, that's my point...it's an act that at some point runs the risk of being a caricature of itself. as buckethead fan's grow older, the whole persona thing could grow old, leaving the long time fan really only wanting to hear the music and less of the act. and because trends change, cultural influences change etc....the old bucket on the head routine might diminish the "act," causing younger, up and coming audiences to turn a deaf ear. Ultimately the music will speak for itself, as it already does.

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the guitar music that's out because it's 1. either too polished and produced sounding or 2. it's just gymnastics...but from what i see in those videos, BH has an amazing feel for rhythm and melody and isn't always about the shred fest, although he is extremely capable of shredding with the best. That is what I feel needs to be the draw, because it's not a given, due to cultural changes, changes in trends etc...that the bucket on the head routine will be mysterious, witty, or whatever...so i'm repeating myself, so you get the point...maybe i'm clear as mud and you don't...but i'll be buying BH's stuff in the future no matter what hat he wears.

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Sep 14 2007, 04:35 AM
Well I don't know about all of you but I think Cuckoo Clocks of Hell is a really cool album, it's definitely one of my favorites, and my favorite song is The Android of Notre Dame from the Kaleidoscope album, I think it's a pretty short song that quickly summarizes Buckethead's techniques, but that's just me I do like about 99% of his stuff, except for some filling tracks like First Master and stuff like that, other than that he is flawless!

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 14 2007, 05:08 AM
QUOTE (bart m @ Sep 14 2007, 03:39 AM) *
well, that's my point...it's an act that at some point runs the risk of being a caricature of itself. as buckethead fan's grow older, the whole persona thing could grow old, leaving the long time fan really only wanting to hear the music and less of the act. and because trends change, cultural influences change etc....the old bucket on the head routine might diminish the "act," causing younger, up and coming audiences to turn a deaf ear. Ultimately the music will speak for itself, as it already does.

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the guitar music that's out because it's 1. either too polished and produced sounding or 2. it's just gymnastics...but from what i see in those videos, BH has an amazing feel for rhythm and melody and isn't always about the shred fest, although he is extremely capable of shredding with the best. That is what I feel needs to be the draw, because it's not a given, due to cultural changes, changes in trends etc...that the bucket on the head routine will be mysterious, witty, or whatever...so i'm repeating myself, so you get the point...maybe i'm clear as mud and you don't...but i'll be buying BH's stuff in the future no matter what hat he wears.

From what I've understood, he didn't want his own persona to play a part in how people judged his music, so he had to create one. He can throw in a little bit of everything he likes (horror movies, karate, michael jackson, toys) and make it his own, and people can't like/dislike him personally. If he wasn't masked people would have opinions on him, his personality, his views on things and so on, and take that into account when judging his music. I think that is exactly what he's trying to avoid by doing this.
He's auditioned for both Ozzy and RHCP but got turned down because he didn't want to unmask, so it's obviously quite important to him to keep it this way, even if it narrows his audience.

+Quote Post
NightFlight
Sep 14 2007, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (bart m @ Sep 14 2007, 02:39 AM) *
....the old bucket on the head routine might diminish the "act," causing younger, up and coming audiences to turn a deaf ear.

Here's a thought...for the sake of discussion. biggrin.gif

If KISS went on another world tour, then by your logic their shows would only be populated by 40-something year olds --- since the make-up, pyrotechniques, blood-spurting, tongue flashing, fire breathing and other hype may be considered a "diminishing" factor.

I'm not usually a betting man, but I'm fairly sure I would wager quite heavily that KISS would still sell-out whatever venue they were playing, and we would still find a large population of younger people there listening and watching quite intently.

Buckethead is no different. There are people, like us, that are interested in him because of his musical talent. Conversely, there are people that like him because he wears a mask and a chicken bucket on his head. And 20 years from now, if he's still doing what he's doing, chances are old and new fans alike will still flock to check him out.

The mystery of the unknown combined with innovative performance tends to draw a crowd....IMHO.

--------------------
"Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all it's students."

My Toys
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series
Boss GT-6 Processor
...and other stuff. :-)

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 14 2007, 06:33 AM
QUOTE (KRmachine @ Sep 13 2007, 10:08 PM) *
From what I've understood, he didn't want his own persona to play a part in how people judged his music, so he had to create one. He can throw in a little bit of everything he likes (horror movies, karate, michael jackson, toys) and make it his own, and people can't like/dislike him personally. If he wasn't masked people would have opinions on him, his personality, his views on things and so on, and take that into account when judging his music. I think that is exactly what he's trying to avoid by doing this.
He's auditioned for both Ozzy and RHCP but got turned down because he didn't want to unmask, so it's obviously quite important to him to keep it this way, even if it narrows his audience.

i would say that wearing a bucket on your head is very telling of one's personality and thus one's persona...to say he wears a bucket and mask on his head because he doesn't want his own persona to play a part, is in my opinion, not a legitimate statement. But I think it's legitimate saying that is what he thinks he's doing.

And for the Kiss comparison....well, they are like rock n roll pioneers of dressing up....but I also think a lot of people would say they have become caricature's of themselves...

I don't care one way or the other, I will still start listening to Bucket Head more...i'm from the deep south...we love music that moves ya and fried chicken.

+Quote Post
Sweden
Sep 25 2007, 03:02 AM
Is it only me getting the feeling that this guy somehow want's to be slash?? But i guess who doesn't. ;-)

He's a great guitarist of course but play with a bucket on your head...I don't it might just be me but i find it pretty lame... haha

(waiting for all the hate-replys from bucket-fans biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 25 2007, 03:08 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Sweden @ Sep 25 2007, 03:02 AM) *
Is it only me getting the feeling that this guy somehow want's to be slash?? But i guess who doesn't. ;-)

He's a great guitarist of course but play with a bucket on your head...I don't it might just be me but i find it pretty lame... haha

(waiting for all the hate-replys from bucket-fans biggrin.gif )

No way man, there styles couldnt be any further apart!!! smile.gif Slash is a rocker (and a cool one at that) Buckethead is a whole different ball park for sure!! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:27 PM