Latency Issues.
Sensible Jones
Jan 1 2010, 06:26 PM
GMC:er
Well, here's the thing.
I've now started using Reaper and my question is this:-
Is there any way to overcome the latency in the signal when recording or do I have to intercept the signal before it gets to the PC?

At the moment my signal chain is:-
Guitar>PC>Reaper>ASIO>Monitors

So, would I have to go:-

Guitar.....}>Pc>Reaper>ASIO>Monitors
............}>Small Amp of some sort for monitoring

Hope this makes some kind of sense to someone!!!
biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 1 2010, 06:28 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Staffy
Jan 1 2010, 06:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Have You checked the settings for the soundcard? You can lower the buffer size for the audio chunks, and then have less latency. A "normal" latency shall be round 6-7 ms, which results in no audible latency.... You can aslo use the DPC latency checker to determine the "real" latency on Your computer. http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Maybe its something else in Your computer setup that causing the latency.

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 1 2010, 06:45 PM
The thing is that I'm not sure what the best settings should be!! biggrin.gif
I was going to PM you about this so that we can include it in the Articles as well, but we may as well discuss it here!
I'll go and check what the settings are at the moment and let you know here!
smile.gif

OK, at the moment the settings are:-
ASIO Buffer Size = 256 Samples.
Latency Compensation In = 1024 samples (max)
Latency Compensation out = 1024 samples (max)
Buffer Offset = 10 ms.

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 1 2010, 07:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 1 2010, 07:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 1 2010, 06:45 PM) *
The thing is that I'm not sure what the best settings should be!! biggrin.gif
I was going to PM you about this so that we can include it in the Articles as well, but we may as well discuss it here!
I'll go and check what the settings are at the moment and let you know here!
smile.gif

OK, at the moment the settings are:-
ASIO Buffer Size = 256 Samples.
Latency Compensation In = 1024 samples (max)
Latency Compensation out = 1024 samples (max)
Buffer Offset = 10 ms.

It looks normal to me.... are You really using the soundcards ASIO -driver and not the Windows generic "low latency" -driver ???
Try the DPA checker and tell me what it say's, its a really simple program to use, and it measures the current latency You have in the system.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 1 2010, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Your signal chain is this:

guitar>soundcard>ASIO input stream>DAW>ASIO output stream>monitors

what sound card do you use?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jan 1 2010, 08:29 PM
Instructor
i'm a latency maniac too, for me recordings i use an Y box to split my guitar signal in two, one for the audio card and one for some amp in the studio. i really dont like latency when recording, i hear the attack TOO slow even at 5-10m.

other option will be direct monitoring, a lot of cards comes with this, it's generally a headphone jack, but you can connect that to an amp, it wont be the best signal in the world cause most prob it will be balanced, but it will do it.

hope this helps bro!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 1 2010, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Jan 1 2010, 06:30 PM) *
It looks normal to me.... are You really using the soundcards ASIO -driver and not the Windows generic "low latency" -driver ???
Try the DPA checker and tell me what it say's, its a really simple program to use, and it measures the current latency You have in the system.

//Staffay

I'll D/L that tomorrow and see what the reading is and let you know!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 1 2010, 06:39 PM) *
Your signal chain is this:

guitar>soundcard>ASIO input stream>DAW>ASIO output stream>monitors

what sound card do you use?

Thanks for that Ivan!
I'm not sure what the soundcard is, it's whatever my brother put in the PC to start with!
I tried using an M Audio Fast Track but couldn't get that working properly.. huh.gif

I've dropped the ASIO settings from 1024 to 256 and now have no latency. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jan 1 2010, 07:29 PM) *
i'm a latency maniac too, for me recordings i use an Y box to split my guitar signal in two, one for the audio card and one for some amp in the studio. i really dont like latency when recording, i hear the attack TOO slow even at 5-10m.

other option will be direct monitoring, a lot of cards comes with this, it's generally a headphone jack, but you can connect that to an amp, it wont be the best signal in the world cause most prob it will be balanced, but it will do it.

hope this helps bro!

I was thinking about a Y Box to split it! biggrin.gif
I have a Headphone Jack too, so maybe I'll try a set of Cans and see if that helps!!
Thanks for the suggestions!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 3 2010, 02:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 1 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Thanks for that Ivan!
I'm not sure what the soundcard is, it's whatever my brother put in the PC to start with!
I tried using an M Audio Fast Track but couldn't get that working properly.. huh.gif

I've dropped the ASIO settings from 1024 to 256 and now have no latency. biggrin.gif

So it is working now? Cutting down the ASIO buffer settings will get you less latency, but more strain on the CPU. However for non-demanding projects it is a good solution.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 3 2010, 11:55 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 3 2010, 01:29 AM) *
So it is working now? Cutting down the ASIO buffer settings will get you less latency, but more strain on the CPU. However for non-demanding projects it is a good solution.

It is working OK at those settings for recording over a B/Track for Collabs etc which is fine for now! Now there's no latency it's so much easier to keep in time too!!! laugh.gif
Once I've learned how to use Reaper properly and want to start recording my own projects from scratch it might need some re-setting. I think it's all going to have to be a bit of a compromise whatever I do until I can afford to upgrade the PC again!!! biggrin.gif
Unfortunately I've just bought some S/Ware that now I can't use as it's much too needy on CPU resources! (Including Amplitube 2!) mad.gif

Nevermind!!
One day I'll get something that didn't come from the Ark and everything will work as it should!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 3 2010, 01:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:12 AM