Funk Rhythms/chords
Siggum
Jul 15 2008, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMC,

I am back with another lesson, this one is about

Funk Rhythms

Attached Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short info about me:

My name is Sigge Bjerkhof, im 29 years old living in Copenhagen, Denmark. Ive been playing music since i was 16 years old, i lost interrest in music for 6-7 years, but joining GMC made me want to play music again:)
I primarily like funk, jazz and rock music but i can enjoy a good metal shred as well now and then

Now lets get started :

I composed this little tune for my lesson, it contains some funky chords but also some regular chords.
Before we go to the main video i would like to write a few words about this lesson, it can be played both with a pick and without a pick using your fingers. I have choosen to use my point finger, as i feel like it gives me more control when muting the strings.

If your only used to playing with a pick its certainly possible as well, here you have some video examples of the basic right and left hand technique used in this lesson, note that i used a pick in the example, but in the main video's i used my finger.

Left hand technique: Attached File  Lefthand.mpg ( 2.94MB ) Number of downloads: 2763

The main thing here is to hammer-on the chords using your fingers while holding a barre as shown in the video.

Right hand technique: Attached File  Righthand.mpg ( 3.64MB ) Number of downloads: 1848

The most impordant technique when playing rhythm funk is to constantly pick up and down the strings, you also have to mute the strings when you arent playing any chords, it might take some practice to combine the two techniques but once you got it down its really fun smile.gif

Lets go to the main video...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tempo:110 BPM 4/4

Main video Attached File  Mainvideo.mpg ( 11.2MB ) Number of downloads: 3345

Part 1: Attached File  vid1.mpg ( 7.68MB ) Number of downloads: 4598

Chord Progression :

---------Em7--------------------------------Hm7-------------------------Bbm7-------------------------------Am7---------------------------------------------------------
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
-----------Am9
Attached Image

We start off with Em7 chord played as shown in the examples, muting the strings is alpha omega here, as they create the vibe that goes with the style, we are landing on the 9th using our pinky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part2: Attached File  vid2.mpg ( 6.74MB ) Number of downloads: 3147

Chord Progression:

---------D9---------------------------------G---------------------------------Hsus7---------------------------------H7------------------------

In this section the only thing that differs from the first video technique-wise is that on the D9 chord we slide from C#9 to D9, this is a common technique used to create a funky vibe. You should also Hammer-on from Hsus7 to H7.

Part3: Attached File  vid3.mpg ( 6.92MB ) Number of downloads: 2411

Chord Progression:

------------Amaj9------------------------------Emaj9-----------------------H--------------------------------A---------------------------------------

Now we take a trip down the fretboard to visit Amaj9, i choose to take it on the 12th because it gives the song a lift using higher tones as a contrast, you have to mute the Both E strings, i use my thumb for the low E and my pinky for the high E.

Part4: Attached File  vid4.mpg ( 7.39MB ) Number of downloads: 2044

Chord Progression:

--------------A--------------------------------C#m7-----------------------F#m7-------------------------------Hsus7
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image Attached Image
]-------H
Attached Image

Hammer-on D#m7, and from Hsus7 to H

Part5: Attached File  Vid5.mpg ( 4.9MB ) Number of downloads: 1798

Chord Progression:

------------E-------------------------------D---------------
Attached ImageAttached Image

----------G-------------------------------A--------------------------------Bb-------------------------------H---------------------------
Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Final riff of the song, you dont have to strum here, just hit the notes at the right time according to the beat.

And finally we have the backing tracks

80 BPM : Attached File  Backing80.mp3 ( 2.29MB ) Number of downloads: 1570

90 BPM: Attached File  Backing90.mp3 ( 2.04MB ) Number of downloads: 759

100 BPM: Attached File  Backing100.mp3 ( 1.83MB ) Number of downloads: 807

110 BPM: Attached File  Backing110.mp3 ( 1.67MB ) Number of downloads: 955

Thats it for me, i hope some of you found it usefull , ask away if you have any questions smile.gif

Cheers

Siggum

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Siggum: Jul 19 2008, 02:50 PM

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2008, 06:29 PM
Instructor
Well explained and great lesson,thanks Siggum! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 15 2008, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 15 2008, 07:29 PM) *
Well explained and great lesson,thanks Siggum! smile.gif

Thanks Muris smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 09:01 PM
Nice lesson man!

H chords should be named B though.

This post has been edited by kjutte: Jul 15 2008, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 15 2008, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 15 2008, 10:01 PM) *
Nice lesson man!

H chords should be named B though.

Actually H and B is the same smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 15 2008, 09:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Siggum @ Jul 15 2008, 10:03 PM) *

The internatonal term though is B, I'm pretty sure smile.gif

Anyways: Great lesson!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (Siggum @ Jul 15 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Dude, that's why I said it.
Internationally it's B. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 15 2008, 09:19 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 15 2008, 10:12 PM) *
Dude, that's why I said it.
Internationally it's B. smile.gif

No problem man, same chord but different way of putting, theres no wrong or right smile.gif

This post has been edited by Siggum: Jul 15 2008, 09:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 15 2008, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (Siggum @ Jul 15 2008, 10:19 PM) *
No problem man, same chord but different way of putting, theres no wrong or right smile.gif

smile.gif ment no offense ofcourse!

+Quote Post
Torben
Jul 15 2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for this, Siggum. It sounds great! I'm definetely going to try it out (when I find time - there's hope though, since my vacation has started!)
I just returned from Copenhagen and really missed my guitars when away. Next time I'll bring one and come around! tongue.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 15 2008, 11:51 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Nice lesson Sigge. Great vibe here man! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 16 2008, 12:32 AM
Instructor
wow, very cool lesson Sigum! Great job man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 16 2008, 08:33 AM
GMC Founder
Juat beautiful Siggum! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
chmilew
Jul 16 2008, 08:39 AM
Nice funky progression, great job man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jul 16 2008, 09:03 AM
Learning Roadie
Great lesson, Siggum. smile.gif Thank you. Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
seagull
Jul 16 2008, 09:49 AM
Nice lesson!

One thing though: In the chord diagrams for part 2, I think you made a little mistake naming the H7 chord "Hsus7". It's just the opposite, the one you called H7 is Hsus7, and the one you called Hsus7 is H7.
At least as far as I know. smile.gif

Ellers god lektion.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jul 16 2008, 11:33 AM
Singing Instructor
Beautiful lesson Siggum,and well played.
Great job man.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 16 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks alot everyone biggrin.gif

QUOTE (seagull @ Jul 16 2008, 10:49 AM) *
Nice lesson!

One thing though: In the chord diagrams for part 2, I think you made a little mistake naming the H7 chord "Hsus7". It's just the opposite, the one you called H7 is Hsus7, and the one you called Hsus7 is H7.
At least as far as I know. smile.gif

Ellers god lektion.

Thanks Seagull,

I'm pretty sure its correct though, i play the sus7 chord and finish off on h7, If that was what you ment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jul 16 2008, 02:41 PM
I was hoping you would make a lesson like this... great one man, I'm defintly learning it right away, as funky rythm always been an issue to me.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jul 16 2008, 02:45 PM
Great lesson. Your playing is awesome.

I hate the H rubbish as well. Really irritates me. It doesn't make sense. The alphabet goes A, B, C, D, E, F, G not A, H, C, D, E, F, G. Even if it was meaning the second run of 7 notes in alphabet it would be H being A not B. It's insanity. Why do they do it. Are they just trying to be different or do they do it to throw everybody. H for Horses***. biggrin.gif I will stop my rant now lol. B B B B B B B B tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:15 PM