God, Sometimes I Hate Guitar
vampire18
Nov 24 2010, 09:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
canon rock has been my so to speak "everest" ever since i started playing guitar, and now ive been able to record most of it with little(ok not little its a 5 minute solo) mistakes, i also changed up a couple of parts that were way to fast(im playing tronds version, he has some super fast parts that arnet important enough imo to spend so much time on) to suit me better but there is one part, the 3 string sweeping section that i just cant seem to get up to tempo, and the funny thing is that im fast enough at sweeping but somehow i just cant get this part specifically, i mean i can sweep 3 string at 200 bpm but this part i can only do about 150, its driving me crazy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 24 2010, 11:25 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you need to take a brake and try tomorrow. Maybe you pushed yourself too hard and now "Everything" seems hard. Take a fresh start tomorrow and practice just the sweeping lick you are having problems - against a metronome. I'm sure you'll be able to speed it up.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 24 2010, 11:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Speed is not a universal measurement, it all comes down to how the things youre playing is. Keep working on it and youll have it down in no time smile.gif Just dont think "I should know how to play this because this or that". And breaks can do wonders, as Bogdan said smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Nov 24 2010, 11:28 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes it's impossible to realise that you've made progress and so you get put down. Taking a day off is a great idea, it lets your fingers take in what you've been practicing and you should be better when you return. After a few days of Sea of Lies hell.. today's my day off :p

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 24 2010, 11:55 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Sweeping in 150 and 200 is also not always the issue. If I'm not mistaken I think they original Canon Rock was 16th triplets in a lot of it, and not just 16th notes or 32nd notes. So it also comes down to timing and consistency.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 25 2010, 12:00 AM
Instructor
that happens from time to time I think to everyone. Take some time off, and come back and play stuff that you really like, every band guitarist have easy start if you are not at advanced level yet

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 25 2010, 02:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Nov 24 2010, 09:20 PM) *
canon rock has been my so to speak "everest" ever since i started playing guitar, and now ive been able to record most of it with little(ok not little its a 5 minute solo) mistakes, i also changed up a couple of parts that were way to fast(im playing tronds version, he has some super fast parts that arnet important enough imo to spend so much time on) to suit me better but there is one part, the 3 string sweeping section that i just cant seem to get up to tempo, and the funny thing is that im fast enough at sweeping but somehow i just cant get this part specifically, i mean i can sweep 3 string at 200 bpm but this part i can only do about 150, its driving me crazy

if you can take ibuprofen , take what is recommended on the bottle for two days , every 4 hours( if you can) ice your hand or hands( there are usually some pain or something swollen , - from over practicing can cause )10 minutes next , soak in hot water - with Epsom salts
5 minutes , and then ice for another ten
i have found that just daily work and a regular practice schedule- my hands can get swollen , and this is what i do
and it seems to help

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2010, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 24 2010, 08:28 PM) *
if you can take ibuprofen , take what is recommended on the bottle for two days , every 4 hours( if you can) ice your hand or hands( there are usually some pain or something swollen , - from over practicing can cause )10 minutes next , soak in hot water - with Epsom salts
5 minutes , and then ice for another ten
i have found that just daily work and a regular practice schedule- my hands can get swollen , and this is what i do
and it seems to help

Good advice jstcarson smile.gif Playing for hours at a time puts considerable stress on the hand, arms, fingers, joints, tendons, etc. If you play for an extended period you can actually stiffen your hand a bit due to simple swelling of tissue. Just like an athlete, always take care of your body. Taking an ice cube and icing your forearms down after practice is a good idea. Just a single cube will do it. Don't over do it. Also the occasional ibuprofen can help reduce swelling as well. It's repetitive motion that leads to CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME which will WRECK your playing possibly forever. So always take care of your arms/hands. They are the only pair you have.

And the guys are right, taking a day off can have great benefits. Your brain is still processing what you played yesterday believe it or not and taking a day off allows your brain to catch up with your hands. There is such a thing as "Over Practicing" just as there is "Over Training" so give yourself a break, treat your arms to some ice and maybe take an ibuprofen and do some gentle stretches. Then come back to the guitar refreshed and ready to kill.

Todd

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2010, 07:38 PM
Instructor
Don't worry, it will get better. If the piece is above your playing level, you will have to wait some time to advance. When practicing guitar, everything goes in small steps. You need patience and strong will. Take your time with the metronome, and don't forget to take a break to let your fingers rest a bit, and to settle down the learned knowledge in your muscle memory. After that break it will all feel much easier! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 PM