Live Equipment, What Do I Need
daimeon
Jun 16 2007, 03:11 PM
GMC:er
Hi!
I'm planning to go live with my band in October/December.
I don't have any clue what kind of equipment I will need other than my guitar.

A Marshall Top?
A Combo?
1 Box?
2 Boxes?
None of the above???
How much Watt?

I really need help.

The venues we will be entertaining will all have PA, so I do need the amp only for monitoring.
Right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 16 2007, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (daimeon @ Jun 16 2007, 03:11 PM) *
Hi!
I'm planning to go live with my band in October/December.
I don't have any clue what kind of equipment I will need other than my guitar.

A Marshall Top?
A Combo?
1 Box?
2 Boxes?
None of the above???
How much Watt?

I really need help.

The venues we will be entertaining will all have PA, so I do need the amp only for monitoring.
Right?

Typically, for a small venue a 50W head and one decent 4X12 cabinet should be more than enough. On other words a half stack. I say this because if you get a tube head for example it will sound much better if it is turned up to say 7 rather than having to keep a 100W head turned down to say 3. It really depends on how big the venues will be. If they are decent size halls or clubs then a 100W should work great. Combos are great for home and practice, but most play out live with a head and a cabinet.

As far as manufacturer, you typically can't go wrong with Marshall but depending on the music you play there are many different brands you could look into. Check out some of the older threads. There is quite a bit of information on this subject.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 16 2007, 05:00 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Rock @ Jun 16 2007, 11:14 AM) *
As far as manufacturer, you typically can't go wrong with Marshall but depending on the music you play there are many different brands you could look into. Check out some of the older threads. There is quite a bit of information on this subject.

Do a search for posts by MikeM - he has written a huge amount about amps, you can pick up some good advice there.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2007, 05:45 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (daimeon @ Jun 16 2007, 04:11 PM) *
A Marshall Top?
A Combo?

Top or combo, anything bro. Ii think an amp head looks better but there's nothing stopping you from connection your combo to a 4x12 if it only has an extension port. (Be sure to look for that if you decide on a combo)

1 Box?
2 Boxes?
None of the above???

If you have an amp with good distortion all you need is.
One EQ and one Delay for soloing. That's all. If you want to spice things up a bit add a Crybaby to that.

How much Watt?

For the small pub gig, 20-30W
For a little bigger gig 50-60W
For the arenas, 100W. (I know, I have a 100W but it just sounds amazing on low volumes too and at that time there were no 50W of that model)

Right?

Depends on how big a gig this is and what the plan to use in the PA.
When we play in small rooms we just go with the amps. I've played a little bigger rooms that come with a PA and their own sound techician who wants to ike up everything for thw sound system. Then you just turn up the volume for your own hearing and I tell you, it's not always very loud when you have a PA guy butting in. laugh.gif For that occacion you could manage with a 1W amp through a 1x12" miked up and then just cranck it. 100W for those occacions is overkill, you'd be stuck with the volume control at 1-2 which in itself isn't many watts at all. And if you had my old Marshall JCM800 the sound would completely SUCK. It didn't wake up until 2-3 o clock (around 7) on the volum and got beautiful when cracked.
So be very sure what you get deliver already on low volumes if you're planning on PA gigs like that.

But maybe you get to place the amps on the front of the stage and the PA is just for the vocals?

EDIT: If "boxes" didn't mean "stomp boxes" but cabinets I should say - Depends on your band. Size your stuff to put what the others have for a complete sound. I mean if you're two guitarists and the other guy has a 1x12 combo you can't come with a full stack. Well... you can actually but that's not nice. laugh.gif
Start with a slanted 4x12", be sure you get speakers that fit what you play. They DO make a big difference.
Vintage 30's - Best by far, they deliver the whole FQ range. Crystal clear!
G12-75 - scooped mids
Greenbacks - lots of low end, cracking up early.

That's about all I know... :-P Except for I know the sound differance can be total depending on what you have.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 16 2007, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 16 2007, 06:13 PM
I just take my guitar and my distortion pedal when we play live. Howcome all of you on GMC take your own amps and stuff with you when you play gigs? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Jun 16 2007, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post
daimeon
Jun 16 2007, 07:16 PM
Ok, it will be something really bigger than a pub.
We will be Opener for a bigger act (am not allowed to tell which one, yet, sorry).
The venues can hold between 700 and 1000 people approximately.

Oh, and I got the Zoom G7 effects pedal for chorus, flanger, distortion, etc, so that's nothing I would expect from an amp.

This post has been edited by daimeon: Jun 16 2007, 07:18 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2007, 09:01 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Robin @ Jun 16 2007, 07:13 PM) *
I just take my guitar and my distortion pedal when we play live. Howcome all of you on GMC take your own amps and stuff with you when you play gigs? ohmy.gif

Because I know my own amp(s) and those places amps usualy make me disappointed. Once I was happy though when we warmed up for another band and borrowed their equipment which was pro stuff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:05 AM