2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buying New Guitar? Read This First...
ztevie
Oct 17 2008, 09:21 AM
GMC:er
Many ppl here developing their skills are on the lookout for new guitars, and many threads are about which brand they should buy.
Here's a thread from Jemsite that I think is very nice read before we spend our hard earned money. I think the guy is very right in what he's saying. we all believe that an expensive guitar must be better, and one brand must be better than the other, but is it really always true?
I believe some brands, which are very popular, of course are more expensive. But not necessarily because they are better, but just because they are popular.
Think about it, a guitar company want to make the highest possible profit, as every other business. So if they can sell 100 guitars for $1000, compared to 200 guitars for $400, of course they will.
Fender and Gibson have the reputation of being superior, so of course they ride on that wave of popularity, and the prices are accordingly..
Now before you Fender/Gibson/Suhr/whatever lovers out there start to bash me, let me explain that I am not saying these main brands are bad, but this is something to think about, we may be able to spend some of our money on other gear, instead of spending them on the logo that is printed o the guitar...

Oh yes, the thread: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/your-gon...n-me-76242.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 17 2008, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
True words

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 17 2008, 09:28 AM
It's all down to who you are. I played a Parker guitar for the first time and it was way better than any Gibson, Fender or whatever I've ever played. It's down to personal opinion. I'd much rather have an expensive Caparison or Parker that plays so smoothly than a rough Squire. But that is me. I've played enough Squire guitars to realise they are amongst some of the worst guitars out there. I will stick to my hand made guitars as they have more personality and you know somebody has lovingly crafted it. smile.gif Means that it means more to you also.

I've played a Suhr guitar and it blew Fender Strats out the water. Not just Squire.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Skalde
Oct 17 2008, 10:17 AM
Learning Roadie
It is the same with mp3 players. Ipods are not bad, but not worth the money when you compare them with other brands. As you said, every company tries to makes as much money as possible, and sometimes you just pay for the brand instead of the product itself. Of course this does not mean that this brand is bad in general.
I play a Ibanez for ~600$ and it is the best guitar I can imagine. I played several high price guitars in store, of course they were not bad, but I didn't like them that they were worth the money. So in the end it all comes to personal taste. I would never buy an article that I don't like, but has a high standing amons others.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 17 2008, 10:29 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Very true, thanks for sharing! smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 17 2008, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
If you got a high price guitar but suck at playing it will sound bad...

If you got a low price guitar but are good at playing it will sound better then the above...

I got a guitar that cost me about 450 dollar and it serves me good for now....

Maybe i should try and play my old 100 dollar j d strat guitar and see how it sounds

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 17 2008, 10:37 AM
I think it is very true that on high end, the increase on quality start to be smaller for the extra money you pay. But it is not necessarily true that one should strive to buy cheap or mid-range guitars.

An standard american fender stratocaster (costs $1000) is not 2.5x better than standard mexican fender($400), but perhaps it is something like 1.8x better. So, does it worth to buy an american fender at all? It depends on whether the quality of mexican one is enough satisfying to you or not. And our quality requirement varies a lot over time.

It is like choosing 8-year whiskey or 12-year whiskey tongue.gif : as long as you never tasted the 12-year one, you will think the 8-year is the best thing ever. Once you taste the 12-year, the 8-year one simply looks wrong. You will pay extra for your luxury, but you may never want to drink a 8-year whiskey again.

All in all, I spent a lot of money in two mid-range guitars and I regret that, because those guitars do not satisfy me anymore. Selling them I will not recover all the money I spent, so it can be even more disappointing. I wish I have bought a top guitar from the beginning. dry.gif

That said, there are top guitars that are just a little bit overpriced and there are guitars that are extremely overpriced. So take care to see if your money is being well spent.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 17 2008, 10:43 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 17 2008, 12:13 PM
I really don't spend cash on guitars to sound or get better, I spend cash on guitars cos I've got an interest in them, and like to collect. And better or not, but a Gibson or Fender WILL stay high in value over a LONG period of time. I really just like looking at my guitars smile.gif I like having them for display.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 17 2008, 12:16 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Oct 17 2008, 12:13 PM) *
I really don't spend cash on guitars to sound or get better, I spend cash on guitars cos I've got an interest in them, and like to collect. And better or not, but a Gibson or Fender WILL stay high in value over a LONG period of time. I really just like looking at my guitars smile.gif I like having them for display.

I agree. I'm not just a guitarist I'm a collector of guitars. They are great pieces of art in my opinion and I'd rather look at a real Fender Stratocaster than a Squire Strat biggrin.gif

This club in Nottingham has door handles that are Squire guitars biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 17 2008, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 17 2008, 01:16 PM) *
This club in Nottingham has door handles that are Squire guitars biggrin.gif

That's killer! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 17 2008, 12:38 PM
I agree. I liked this part "No one but you will notice or care."
I'd rather listen to a great player on an avarege guitar than a avarege player on a great guitar.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 09:58 PM
Instructor
I think OC has a point - it's all down to who you are. Guitar reflects your personality. If you wanna high end guitar with an unknown tag, that usually costs more than branded one, because of the absence of mass production which cuts down expenses. On the other hand mass production brings quality fluctuations, so in the end, a good piece is a good piece - you never know until you try it (and buy it if you can afford it).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
besip
Oct 18 2008, 05:10 AM
it's never easy sad.gif rolleyes.gif

actualy i'm playning to buy new guitar long time but when the time coming close i'm afraid to don't made mistake sad.gif
actualy sure some cheap guitar can be good some no...i'm wana spend around 1000$+ or - some budget...i'm never visit guitar shop until last weak...till this time i'v been sure to buy Ibanez 2550Z..But after I'm try Sv 5470 ..i'm don't wana listen about 2550z anymore tongue.gif ...problem is i'm guy who is 1 weak interesed a be sure to play in future more Heavy and Thrash Metal...and other weak i'm guy who will be like to play rest his life nice melodic metal+some shreding........and my mind start working every time...when i'm more in metal i'm teling my self...oo you will be don't need ibanez tremolo...and the ibanez pickups will probaly not be screeam like Esp or jackson sad.gif tongue.gif and when in other weak i'm back to my Nocturnal vision lesson style music laugh.gif i'm teling my self hmm Esp and Jackson are nice but i'm need something more versatible laugh.gif also i'm read every day diferent review for both side

i'm lost and scary to go buy first axe{if i'm don't count allready my ltd viper 50} sad.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Oct 18 2008, 05:12 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 18 2008, 05:31 AM
There is some truth to what you say. Take a ZO6 Corvette for instance: it costs around 75K, yet it performs as well in all aspects, as a Porsche or a Ferrari costing literally hundreds of thousands more.
This also holds true for guitars to a certain extent. Some Custom Shop Les Pauls costing thousands aren't necessarily any better that your standard models. What you're paying for is exclusivity. Some people can justify that, and have wallets fat enough for it, but not me.
But I think generally, you get what you pay for. There are plenty of nice guitars for, say, under 1000 dollars. But if you want one with a nice top, top of the line hardware, and it's handmade, you must pay.
I do think Fender Stratocasters are still a good buy these days. But they are not what you call a fancy guitar. In fact, I think they are kind of plain to look at, though, they can be quite musical sounding.
My preferences run toward the expensive, but not ridiculous. I'm not paying for something pretty to look at unless it is equipped to my liking and is functional and, of course, musical. Typically, that puts my tastes in the 2000-3000 dollar range.
Too bad I'm broke, but I'll not compromise on what I require. Some day...

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 18 2008, 05:46 AM
Know thyself! If all you've ever had is a cheap guitar, no amount of reassurance is going to convince you it's good enough, until you try or buy an expensive one. Once you get past that, you can be satisfied with you choices and realize, your sound is in your fingers and feelings.

I have a $1500 guitar and a $150 guitar. My favorite is the one I'm playing when you ask me!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 18 2008, 05:59 AM
I think there are some great deals on less well known guitars - and it seems like you can get more for your money if you don't get hung up on the name. Although I have a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul and love them, one of my favorite guitars is still a $150 Oscar Schmit(Washburn) OE-30 which is a semi hollow body Gibson ES0335 copy. If you go on Harmony Central.com and read user reviews(Which is what I do for any new purchase) many people agree that the OE-30 is one of the best deals out there. Its a great sounding guitar

One thing that is happening in the industry, is the quality of guitars coming out of Korea and China these days is great. Take for example Breedlove acoustic guitars - built in Korea but quality controlled in the USA - Many people agree their $1000 Atlas rivals if not esceeds the Martins and the Taylors models costing $3k to $4k

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Oct 18 2008, 06:06 AM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 18 2008, 09:26 AM
I can't do anything but agree with the guy that wrote post at jemsite.
To be honest i don't really care if the guitar is handmade or not to me it's how it is played with heart and soul for example my Ibanez RG limited edition 2008 i payed 440 euros for it, that's cheap and it's a very good guitar well for me it is not everyone likes Ibanez anyways if you change the stock pickups to some Dimarzio's for example you will have a great sounding guitar at half the price of a prestige model but that's just the way i think about it.

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Rooks
Oct 18 2008, 09:55 AM
Well it's all about what feels good to you.. I like some expensive guitars, but the one I'm playing is in medium range and it feels the same to me as more expensive guitars with the same shape and configuration..

The value is all about what it is to you.

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 18 2008, 12:38 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I agree there's no need for the average player to spend thousands on guitars and other gear. And at the end of the day it's the hours of practice and hard work what counts. No one will care what guitar you swing, but how you play.

Just as there's no "real" need to spend big bucks on expensive wine and exquisite food, nice clothing and cars, or the latest computer or video game machines... but it feels so good! cool.gif

So at the end of the day everyone spends his hard earned cash in whatever pleases him the most, may it be guitar gear or any other thing. You only live once, pursuit your dreams. I love guitars and plan to get me some really nice ones in the future, but of course I understand that it won't make me a better guitarist, it just makes me happy smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
bamba23
Oct 18 2008, 03:30 PM
some ppl look at the price too much.
i means,yes there are guitars that way dont worth the price
but there some that high price and worht it.
there few fenders that pretty awsome,and worth the price
and there few that not,
my personal taste,if il have 2000 bucks-4000 bucks
ESP or dean
nothing else.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:34 PM