First Computer Build!, My first ever computer build from scratch!
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 12:02 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys! (I guess this was the right place to put this topic tongue.gif) I did a quick search and couldn't find any other threads like this!

Just showing you my custom 'puter build I just finished, first ever and it went pretty smooth like! Thankfully!

So, any of you lot built your own computers?

Care to share if so? biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
BOO!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 10 2010, 12:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow this looks great man! What are the components?

Regarding your question - I always chose all the components for my computers on my own and then have the technician "hook it up" for me. I have always changed hd's, video cards and different components but I never had to do it from scratch - I'm not sure if I know how to connect CPU and motherboard with the housing.

Its a joy and fun to choose your own components to make a custom PC that will suite your needs. Actually here we don't actually have branded PC's much on offer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 01:07 AM
Thank you! biggrin.gif I am very pleased with it!

The components are as follows:

• CiT Venus Midi Tower Case
  • ASUS P5N-D Motherboard
  • Intel Q6600 CPU
  • Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink
  • A 750w Modular PSU from OCZ
  • A Nvidia GeForce 9800GT (Gonna upgrade, it's from my old computer smile.gif )
  • Just a normal ol' disk drive (From my old computer)
  • Hard drive from my old computer too tongue.gif
  • 2x2GB of ram

And I do believe that's all that's in there at the moment haha, the case is pretty roomy though, just gonna save up some money and gradually buy a few new extras for it now i guess tongue.gif

There's definitely something addictive about building a computer, I guess cause of all the work you put into it, you just end up loving it more!
After buying computers and laptops from the local computer shop, I prefer custom built ones now having experienced it! Although I can imagine there can be quite a lot of frustration involved!

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2010, 01:23 AM
Looks great smile.gif Nice choice on the case! The red glow and the red LCD are a really nice touch!

Todd

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 01:49 AM
Cheers! biggrin.gif

And it was either a choice of blue LEDs or red ones aha!

I'm glad you guys like it!

Anyone else here built their own?

Or even have a cool set-up they'd like to show off? tongue.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 10 2010, 01:53 AM
Instructor
that's a lot of tech knowledge for me heheh, nice red lights!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 02:02 AM
Haha! That was exactly my thought when I saw the case preview online wink.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 10 2010, 03:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Nothing like the smell of a new Motherboard of other hardware when it comes right out of the box. It is kind of intoxicating for me.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 03:48 PM
Indeed! It's very nice smile.gif Fresh new components! Yumm tongue.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
emirb
Nov 10 2010, 04:23 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I always 'build' my (desktop) computers as well and have done so for a looong time too:) but nowadays it feels pointless as the computers have become just as fast as I would need them if you know what I mean. The only thing that is always 'in front' of the hardware development is the gaming industry. You would need faster computer to play new games and that will remain the same because of the money that dictates the rules. Every software that I ever use runs fine on my all computers, laptops, desktops, Win, Linux regardless. This was however not the case 10 years ago. Remember the time I got my first 'full-duplex' sound card as it was called then. It was SB AWE32 - state of the art heheheh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 10 2010, 05:44 PM
Oh yes of course and I completely agree! biggrin.gif I think now that I have this, I'll be set! My computer before wasn't quite up to par with doing the things I needed, so I definitely needed to upgrade, didn't fancy buying one from a shop this time and I'd rather have a go at doing it myself! biggrin.gif As you said, I too think this one will last me now as it can do everything I could possibly ask for!

And to be honest with you all, I wasn't planning on building a new computer at all! Haha! It's just that I bought the CPU at first but my old computer's motherboard didn't support it, it should have, but they had stopped updating the BIOS on the motherboard as it was quite old so it would not work at all laugh.gif So at that point I just decided to go ahead and build a new one tongue.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 11 2010, 01:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I built all the pcs that we use for music - about 5 over the years. We have a couple of off the shelf ones for basic/general stuff as well.

Music pcs are custom made as I build them around the sound interface cards and, in the case of the main mastering DAW also the Plextor CD writer and DAW. Off the shelf ones just don't deliver the sound quality we need.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 12 2010, 12:39 AM
Definitely, another plus side to building them, you can tailor it to your own needs smile.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 12 2010, 02:35 AM
Instructor
I like custom made PC's, although never attached the CPU with the motherboard on my PC's (did couple of those on some old PCs, but was always concerned because of the cooling paste). Anyway, it's great to see such a nice PC. Hope you have fun with it biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 12 2010, 03:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Gosh, this makes me want to custom-build a PC! smile.gif I mean have an expert do it of course. biggrin.gif But I don't have the mula. tongue.gif I like the way you built it! What OS did you put on it?

+Quote Post
Lewiiii
Nov 12 2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I was concerned about the thermal paste and heatsink in general on this one but it's been fine biggrin.gif I think custom is the way to go! Now that I've experienced it tongue.gif I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying pre-made ones! I guess it kinda depends!

Like I managed to get my CPU for £80 including shipping and looking online quickly it's like £160!

So I was happy for that, it's refurbished so I took a bit of a chance tongue.gif But it's been brilliant so far ^^

And for OS, Windows, I'm still using the Hard drive from my old computer tongue.gif But I had to format unfortunately sad.gif Kept getting a blue screen! After formatting it work's fine now smile.gif Plus I do love a fresh new install of Windows every now and then tongue.gif

--------------------
BOO!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:02 AM