Oh, For The Love Of God, my alt. picking sucks
Guitarman700
Jun 12 2007, 04:10 PM
GMC:er
no matter what i do i just cant get it right. any pointers or tricks that you guys learned?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jun 12 2007, 04:11 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 12 2007, 04:24 PM
GMC Founder
Well in short, the advice I would like to give is: Realise that it will take you more time than you would like it to.

In other words don't stress it ( I assume that if you play it super super slow it's not a problem) - stay within your range and slowly your range will grow...

...and follow all the advice given in gmc picking lessons of course! smile.gif

Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2007, 04:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 12 2007, 05:10 PM) *
no matter what i do i just cant get it right. any pointers or tricks that you guys learned?

Just that it takes practice and practice and practice. cool.gif

Took me a while too when I started out on guitar, it's just to get it to stuck in your brain. Practice different patterns. First on one string, then on two string like;

...D U D U
G ---5---5-|
D -5---5---|repeat

...D U D U
G -----5---|
D -5-5---5-|repeat

...D U D U
G -------5-|
D -5-5-5---|repeat

Then work on triplets, hope that gives a few ideas

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 12 2007, 04:40 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 12 2007, 11:10 AM) *

Well, the way I learned...

The book I was reading said to Practise Alternate Picking on a Scale, i.e G Major Scale.

E-----------------------------------------2-3------|
B-----------------------------------3-5------------|
G---------------------------2-4-5-----------------|
D--------------------2-4-5------------------------|
A------------2-3-5--------------------------------|
E-------3-5----------------------------------------|

I practise that scale Up and Down, using Alt. Picking. With Up-Down Strokes for each note.

After I did it hundreds of times. Alt picking became Easier, my Fingers became More Flexable. But it is Boring as Heck tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Slammer: Jun 12 2007, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 12 2007, 04:49 PM
Dude...

I've had the same problem - the thing is to keep doing it, slowly at first. I found that simply moving up and down the same scale constantly for an hour (resting of course) each night really helped - it was a little boring but it helps alot.

I set my metronome to snail pace and just kept going up and down and up and down and up and down... eventually (in my case only after a few days - but this may be different for others) I done it without even noticing I was doing it!

I still cannot do it at any great pace but I'm getting better each day. One thing I would suggest is not to get too stressed over it - just keep doing the exercises and if they are hard, slow the metronome down and just do quarter notes.

You will succeed - don't give up! biggrin.gif

Good luck.

JT

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jun 12 2007, 05:17 PM
Ok could anyone tell me the reason It's good to learn strict alt picking, I just prefer using economy all the way, it's more comfortable..

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 12 2007, 05:18 PM
I also improve everyday. Because of the fine instruction we have, if you pay attention, you can improve every day.

1) It is the same for everybody, takes a lot of time.
2) I think much of it is training your right hand and left to take instructions independently. This past week my picking had has sort of become like a robot arm. it just picks back and forth, back and forth, alternating, and moves to the right position, but just keeps going on like a robot arm, taking brain instructions in a different neural path than the fretting hand. they two are synchronized, like two tracks, but operating on different brain paths. My picking hand is becoming a sort of bouncy relaxed robot arm, just bopping back and forth, back and forth, and moving to the right string to pick.
3) Do it right. Slow down the metronome if you are screwing up. Or break it into little pieces. Actually i think setting the metronome high and just playing little pieces correctly, and then trying to string them together, maybe repeat once, then maybe repeat twice, that is good to, break it down if you are screwing up, 3 notes fast, break, the next 3 fast, break, still keeping a rhythm, then go for it, all 6, then go for it, all 6 repeated 2 times, then go for it, aw, screwed up, back off, on and on.

Kris's alternating picking exercises helped me a lot. They make your left hand do different things in simple patterns, and you have to keep your robot arm picking hand bopping in the same bobbity bounce no matter, different brain paths.

I like that bit from Cannon rock, the part of the song that people recognize, that gets played in the elevator. you know, da, da da da, da da da, da da............. That is a good alternating picking exercise. You fret all kinds of ways in that section. all in the same 4 frets. play it as fast as you can, and keep the robot picking arm bopping unabated, just bopping along while you do all the fretting, and repeat over and over and over and over and over, faster and faster and faster. become a robot, then you will understand true bliss. sometimes after awhile it gets like meditation, your brain goes off somewhere, you become one with the universe. or maybe you become a robot.

ALTERNATE PICK EVERYTHING! Kris said it, as you learn do that. Doing that does the brain adjustment that gets your picking hand and fretting hand to work with independent instructions. that is what your brain has to learn, sort of like rubbing your tummy and patting your head. but a LOT HARDER! But same difference. Alternate pick everything except things such as sweeps. But if alternate picking is practicable, do it every time.

or except maybe with cliche stuff. like Free Bird, or Cream's Crossroads. Where you have the riffs that are in one place, and can be repetitive. You know, like the old Chuck Berry lick on the top 3 strings is a simple example of that. So alternate pick all the time, except when you don't, for cliche type riff stuff and sweeps mostly.

oh, one reason the Cannon Rock bit is great, is that there are 8 2-bar parts to it, strung together. but at the beginning of each of the 8 parts, you pick should start in the same direction if you really did stick to alternate picking. so you know right away if you brain got screw up. i am positive this is caused by your right hand screwing with your left hand in your brain, and you need to keep those baby apart in your brain, or they fight. that is the trick. if you get screwed up on the alternate picking direction, that is like you were rubbing your tummy and patting your head, and you patted your tummy by mistake. they got mixed up. have to keep those babies apart, or they fight. you get them to work together, but in different rooms.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 12 2007, 05:41 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 12 2007, 05:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Fkalich - your posts are becoming works of art - I love the robot arm bobbity bobitty bit smile.gif

And yes, its good advice too!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 13 2007, 10:36 PM
Where abouts is this picking lession, im not having troubles with eco picking or alternate but just with holding the pick mad.gif it slides around and i lose grip and all that jazz so i need help sad.gif ..

HELP ME GMC!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 13 2007, 11:14 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 12 2007, 04:10 PM) *

A little off topic but....I love that Paul! biggrin.gif As for the alternate picking, I managed to pick it up after watching kris's picking video series when i first joined GMC. I did all the suggested exercises daily -I have spent litterly countless hours under the watchful eye of my metronome and its paid off big time! Start off slow as you like, just make sure your playing clean and precise and the speed will follow! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 14 2007, 01:46 AM
The guy in the picture? thats not me, thats Peter Frampton with his signature guitar.
It is nice though biggrin.gif
thanks guys, for all the advice.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jun 14 2007, 01:47 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 14 2007, 02:25 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 13 2007, 06:46 PM) *
The guy in the picture? thats not me, thats Peter Frampton with his signature guitar.

lol, seriously, at first i thought it was you! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

about the Alt Picking, my alt is very good, ive seen alot of imrpovement. I cant play fast with alternate, but you dont have to, but if its your goal, you gotta start very slowly , if you practice scales with alternate picking you will even benefit more!. wink.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 14 2007, 01:51 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jun 14 2007, 01:46 AM) *

LOL, i feel like a right prat!! laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 22 2007, 02:46 AM
One thing I was wondering personally about Alt Picking is the note versus picking timing.

For instance: Back in the day when I was learning bluegrass picking from a professional at his studio he said "the pick should be moving up and down in a perfect pattern with the speed of the song, but if a note is skipped in the song you should skip the pick as well..."

What this resulted in was the following example:

----D----U---D-----U----D----U----D----U
----1----3----1-----------1----3----1---------e
-------------------------------------------------b
-------------------------------------------------g
-------------------------------------------------D
-------------------------------------------------A
-------------------------------------------------E

So on the fourth count your pick didn't hit the string because no note was to be played. The physical result was D--U--D----D--U--D.

Is that the right way to do it?

I ask because since I have really been working on my Alt picking I would play the above as D--U--D----U--D--U.

Which one is right? I can't perceive any time loss the way I do it but I wanna make sure I practice AP the right way.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by Hardtail: Jun 22 2007, 02:48 AM

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:12 PM