Phil Anselmo: A Racist
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 09:44 AM
GMC Founder
As a huge Pantera fan - I find this is extremely dissapointing.

This video by Robert Flynn from Machine Head says it all:

I don't know about you guys, but these kinds of actions from Phil ruins my lust to listen to Pantera.

Shame on you Phil. You have let yourself, Dimebag and the metal community down. Goodbye!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
fzalfa
Feb 4 2016, 09:54 AM
Learning Roadie

Personaly i never been disapointed about this fact, Phil is racist..... maybe dime too, but i don"t care ! music rules !

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 4 2016, 10:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Wow! I don't listen to any of that usually, didn't know this existed, but great guts from Robert to stand up to it like that!

Calm, collected and choses his words wisely. It still baffles me that racism can still exist. so sad sad.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 10:09 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Feb 4 2016, 09:54 AM) *
Personaly i never been disapointed about this fact, Phil is racist..... maybe dime too, but i don"t care ! music rules !

Perhaps you have considered making the world a better place, for the sake of your children...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 4 2016, 10:12 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 4 2016, 11:09 AM) *
Perhaps you have considered making the world a better place, for the sake of your children...?

I think that is exactly what Robert is saying too, that it's not okay to be passive about it and sweep it under the rug.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 4 2016, 10:16 AM
Learning Roadie

Personaly i think the phil's opinion do not change the world's face

In other hand, the raw white power is outdated, this is a primary form of racism.

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 10:17 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Lester @ Feb 4 2016, 10:12 AM) *
I think that is exactly what Robert is saying too, that it's not okay to be passive about it and sweep it under the rug.

Yes - being passive equals supporting. What Phil does is called promoting.

Positive changes through history has been made by people who dare to stand up.

Philip Anselmo is a racist A***OLE (in spite of all his great music)

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 4 2016, 10:32 AM
Learning Roadie
Philip Anselmo is a racist A***OLE (in spite of all his great music)

i only retain this, about music, because if we knew the truth about our hero's opinion, i think we 'll be seriousely despointed....

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 4 2016, 11:51 AM
GMC:er
I can think of 2-3 racist famous musicians, composers even in classical music. Funny, metals roots are from blues and he's saying such shit smile.gif

When the perspective of the listener is changed, that music isn't the same anymore for him/her...its simply ruined or outdated cause music (though formulized) isn't a material one can simply hold in his hands.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 4 2016, 11:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
norules
Feb 4 2016, 11:58 AM
Fair play to Robert Flynn for this video and you for sharing it kris.. Facism doesn't start in concentration camps it's where it ends. It starts with dick heads like this who have an audience and people putting up with there crap and not stopping them. I come from the underground punk community in Bristol and we have a long history of rejecting fascists. We have the edl and national front ect trying to organise in our city so we all organise to counter them. As if a fascist regime like the nazis would tolerate metal music anyway

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 12:47 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (norules @ Feb 4 2016, 11:58 AM) *
Fair play to Robert Flynn for this video and you for sharing it kris.. Facism doesn't start in concentration camps it's where it ends. It starts with dick heads like this who have an audience and people putting up with there crap and not stopping them. I come from the underground punk community in Bristol and we have a long history of rejecting fascists. We have the edl and national front ect trying to organise in our city so we all organise to counter them. As if a fascist regime like the nazis would tolerate metal music anyway

Well said, thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 4 2016, 02:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 4 2016, 10:09 AM) *

Racist is the wrong term (Technically you can be racist and not hate) A good example would , Einstein could say he was born smarter than you and that is racist , but true . Bigoted is what you are looking for and with that implies hatred . I grew up in a inner city school were Whites were minorities . My 2 best friends were black and Mexican so I dont like the bigotry . My question is this , until we understand the correct term and use it's definition evenly across the board how will we ever end it. Example, The "BET" awards is this not bigoted against all other races, If they had White entertainment awards everyone would scream bloody murder , and don't give me that thy are making up to cover lost ground BS , bigotry is bigotry even if you are using it to get "even". When kids grow up seeing the BET awards and ask mommy to explain why other races aren't allowed , you try to explain that to a child without it being bigoted and then what will happen as that child grows seeing bigotry that whites are not excepted by the blacks and then the problem starts all over again
So if we are ever going to end this , we need to correctly identify to problem and have to evenly distribute it among "ALL" the races . If we can't WE WON'T

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2016, 02:40 PM
Instructor
I've felt so sad when I found this.

There is a lot of background behind Anselmo's attitude and words, full of death, sadness, suffering. It's not what the term exactly means or whatever, it's what it represents, and I don't think that this act can be justified for any reason. Don't waste time discussing about the language, terms, and whatever! We don't need the language to understand and feel what's happening here.

I believe that musicians who stand on stage have responsibility and those who use it to foment bad things don't have my support.

I support this:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 4 2016, 03:37 PM
It's always eye opening when we find out our 'heroes' are mortal.
Most of them are ... in one way or another.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 4 2016, 06:54 PM
HERE is his response to it....

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 08:50 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 4 2016, 06:54 PM) *
HERE is his response to it....

He seems to take it more seriously now. Hopefully this will act as wake up call for him to get sober and start thinking about what kind of message he wants to convey to his fans.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2016, 11:09 PM
Very sad indeed sad.gif But don't you think that it's part of the burden of being a fan to separate the Art from the Artist? His output is part of the canon of Metal and for good reason. He was in a really good band that influenced a lot of people.

As a person, he sounds like some of my less evolved Southern brethren who run a bit racist/xenophobic/homophobic/etc.

The South is the home Slavery and some very ugly bits during desegregation. Having dated bi racially and taken a bit of crap about it, i was a bit shocked as to just how racist many folks in the Metal community can be. I do hope we can appreciate the art of artist without dismissing it due to the artist being a racist jerk. Otherwise, we would have to stop listening to a HUGE amount of Metal in particular.

It goes beyond music as well. Henry ford was a VIRULENT ANTI SEMITE yet how many people here drive a FORD? It probably never came in to the Ford car owners mind that he was a big Jew Hater who spent wads of money to promote hatred of all jews. Folks still drive his cars.

Then there is VW, a car and company founded by Hitler himself. Lots of folks drive VW ( I drive one) despite the origins of the company.

Dr. Ferdinand porsche designed tanks for the vermacht that killed millions. How many people drive a porsche?

Fashion house HUGE BOSS designed the Nazi SS uniforms. Anyone own any Hugo Boss clothes?

I do hope that as a culture, we can raise our children (if we have them) with the greatest gift of all. "Discernment". smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 4 2016, 03:44 AM) *

This video by Robert Flynn from Machine Head says it all:

I don't know about you guys, but these kinds of actions from Phil ruins my lust to listen to Pantera.

Shame on you Phil. You have let yourself, Dimebag and the metal community down. Goodbye!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 4 2016, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2016, 11:35 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 4 2016, 03:37 PM) *
It's always eye opening when we find out our 'heroes' are mortal.
Most of them are ... in one way or another.

I don't get how this makes him mortal? Stupid would be a better word.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 4 2016, 02:40 PM) *
I believe that musicians who stand on stage have responsibility and those who use it to foment bad things don't have my support.

Yes that's what it's all about!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 5 2016, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 4 2016, 03:35 PM) *
I don't get how this makes him mortal? Stupid would be a better word.

Everybody's got 'something' that's fucked up about them. That other's don't approve of or that goes against the grain of society, culture and general good manners, etc.

We tend to venerate artists, entrepreneurs, scientists, athletes ... like they are gods.
Then they show that they are fallible (human) and we yank them down (usually with glee).
*What Anselmo said was pretty fucked up ... and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his indulgences. Those just loosened him up. But like I say, everybody's got something going on in there.

Here's what shocks me about the whole thing ...
That folks are shocked that a guy like Anselmo may have an Aryan Nation leaning or two. Read his lyrics (they're not overtly racist but they're pretty dark and aggressive). It's like when people are appalled when a football player or boxer is accused of spousal abuse. Well, we train them to be that way from a young age and reward them for being good at it. WTF do you expect?

I'm a Jew and I own two Fords.
Miles Davis beat the crap out of all his wives and girlfriends but I still listen to him everyday.
Phil Anselmo is a neanderthal bigot but Pantera was a really bitchin' band.
Etc., etc., etc.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 5 2016, 04:52 AM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 5 2016, 10:06 AM
GMC Founder
@Klasaine and jstcrsn

You are downplaying Phil's [to me] over-obvious racist acts as "bigotism". He ended the whole dimebash 2016 by sieg hailing and yelling " white power". I am sorry to say that I see this downplaying as yet a cornerstone in support of racism.

If this is not a conscious racist act, then could you please clarify what would qualify as such? Perhaps he would need to drag up a black man on stage and insult / beat him because of his skin color? Would that qualify as racism?

This discussion reminds me about downplaying sexist acts with the parole "boys will be boys". This might seem innocent, but in the long run contrubites to domestic abuse, rape etc. We are responsible for showing adolescents at an early age what is OK and what is NOT.

I can definitely see how teaching millions of metal fans around the globe that 'sieg heil' and 'white power' is good stuff - will contribute to racism, further down the road. Can you?

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:58 AM