> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #7, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

George Hlio
Jun 26 2018, 04:31 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #7 by Darius Wave

I really like the neoclassical vibe! I think that this is the prequel to workout 3! Hope you like it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Darius Wave
Jun 27 2018, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Hey again George!

Yet again we have a forearm instead of wrist problem. You should have a solid resting point with your wrist resting on the low strings (to mute them). Here you redirect most of your strength to your forearm which will work mostly for medium tempo but will not profit on ultra high speeds. Aside from this there are some little timing issues. Fast part of this lesson definitely needs more pracrtise - you loose some notes - your hand tend to loose sync for a very short moment. Besides mentioned I haven't spotted anything serious.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2018, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Hi again George!

This lesson is also very important to develop your guitar technique. These are some elements that need attention:

- You need make your picking stronger to make everything sound more consistent. You tend to pick too soft and this is reflected in your tone.

- The faster section shows timing issues. You are not comfortable with that figure at this tempo. You need more time.

- I notice hand sync issues during the faster sections. This is also related to the fact that you are not comfortable yet.

Please keep on practicing the lesson, and if it's necessary isolate the faster parts and work more on them.

Cheers mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2018, 11:11 PM
GMC:er
This is a tough bit and I'm guessing that's why you chose it!! It takes real stones to pick the hard ones on purpose so I commend you for diving in the deeper in of things and not picking an easy bit! This will benefit you in the long run. Nobody ever got better by NOT challenging themselves!
On to the review!
As Darius mentioned ( no need for me to go all through it again) Your right hand bridge rest position could use a bit of focus. I notice you using more wrist and even some arm motion instead of relying on your thumb and first finger for most of your pick articulation. At slow to medium speeds, the thumb/finger should be able to provide all of the speed and strike pressure you need.

Take another look at my picking hand from this most recent quick lick which you did very well on! go back and watch your video from this as well. You have a good hand placement right in the middle of the bridge and use your articulation is happening much closer to the pick, and away from the elbow/forearm. Here is the vid, Ignore my fret hand. Just watch how my pick hand is resting on the bridge and I'm using mostly finger/wrist motion, just like you did in your vid. We only traverse two strings here, but this same approach can be used on all six strings, you can reach them all by simply turning your wrist and keeping your mute. You may have to adjust where the guitar rests on your body, maybe bring it around to the front just a little, and even bring it up just a pinch. Until you find that perfect spot where you can rest your palm on the bridge and keep it mostly centered, even when traversing from high to low strings.

I also noticed, around :57 that you miss a note here and there which sounds like it's being struck, but not quite hard enough and either isn't being fretted or the noise gate is clamping it off. Turning down the volume on the guitar is a good way to get a clear more articulate sound, but you have to make up for the decrease in volume with an increase in PICKING POWER and use firm, confident pick strikes that are dead lock synched to fretting hand.

I"ll make some Quick Licks drills that can help you to focus on these areas of playing while not making them so complex, note wise, that you have to shift attention away from technique and towards trying to play actual music. Once the technique becomes a simple matter of muscle memory, almost a reflex, it gets much easier to play actual music such as that in this GMC lesson.

Don't give up on this, you have made good progress. Keep at this and I'll make some drills to help and you will KRUSH it!!!

Solid 6 from me smile.gif
Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 28 2018, 08:14 PM
GMC Founder
You did pretty well up to 00:25 where we could start to hear misses!

I agree that you should focus on your picking movement - as it will be a key factor in achieving consistency for this kind of picking etude.

You get a 6 from me - keep up the hard work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 12 2018, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:19 AM