2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Recording With New Program
steve25
Nov 12 2007, 04:07 AM
GMC:er
Ok so i've been given Cubase from a friend so i can try it out, and if i like it i can buy it maybe. So i've finally been able to try something other then Audacity but suprise suprise i'm still getting problems and i really don't know how to fix it. I'm new to recording and i guess it's never straight forward.

My setup will now be Guitar > PODxt > USB > Cubase

As far as i can see and tell i've setup everything correctly to run with my PODxt. But i'm still getting a recording sound that i really don't want. What i record is nothing like what my amp produces with my pod. If there was a way i could record Guitar > POD > Amp > Cubase i'd do it that way but i can't. When i record i don't use the amp at all.

The attached file is what i'm getting. This is just a quick sample of the sound that gets recorded. This is Marcus' Collab patch by the way, i'm sure this is wrong. Any help would be much appreciated because i've been toying around with this all day now and i have ran out of ideas.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Test.wav ( 1.01MB ) Number of downloads: 114

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 12 2007, 04:15 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Well it sounds like someone recorded a guitar through a pod into cubase to me, so I am unsure what the problem is blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Nov 12 2007, 04:15 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 12 2007, 04:31 AM
Arrg how embarrassing, it's ok i know what i've done and why it sounded weird for me sorry ignore this :/. But from what you've just said should i not be recording in that way?

So this post isn't completely pointless is it ok to have both mono and stereo in a recording. And if i'm recording just one track like a solo or something should i use just mono?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 12 2007, 04:34 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 11 2007, 10:31 PM) *
Arrg how embarrassing, it's ok i know what i've done and why it sounded weird for me sorry ignore this :/. But from what you've just said should i not be recording in that way?

So this post isn't completely pointless is it ok to have both mono and stereo in a recording. And if i'm recording just one track like a solo or something should i use just mono?

Good question ...

The guitar signal input is obviously mono, but some effects (like delay, chorus and reverb) an make a mono signal into a stereo one. For that reason you wil be getting a stereo signal out of your pod when you record it.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 12 2007, 04:40 AM
Right so you're saying i should always record in stereo? The problem is i sometimes get an error from cubase because of that. I know i've only recorded 1 track with that mono so i'm not going to get the same fat sound that's heard but i couldn't do that with mono?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 12 2007, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 11 2007, 10:40 PM) *
Right so you're saying i should always record in stereo? The problem is i sometimes get an error from cubase because of that. I know i've only recorded 1 track with that mono so i'm not going to get the same fat sound that's heard but i couldn't do that with mono?

Mono won't sound as fat initially because you will be losing all of the stereo information in the delays and chorus settings. You can make your pod have a plainer sound and add those effects back in cubase if you want to, but I would recommend recording in stereo.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 12 2007, 04:49 AM
You mean the effects that are already in the POD patch, not the extras in cubase? Ok i'll try recording in stereo from now on. Just trying to get used to everything and learn what it does. Having played the file back again it still isn't the same as my amp, but i guess you just can't beat an amp speaker. However my amp only had the one speaker, and it sounds 10x fatter then my recording

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 12 2007, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Hi Steve smile.gif

I work in Cubase as well and I record guitars in stereo all the time.
Don't have mono output on Prophesy
but even if I do,I would have used stereo anyhow. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 12 2007, 10:28 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 11 2007, 09:40 PM) *

I would record all lead work in stereo with one pass. But, if you want killer rhythm sounds then record in mono in one pass and then go back and record the same thing again while monitoring the first recording.
You end up with two mono tracks that vary slightly. Pan these left and right and do not use any effects on them (other than dynamics - like compression) Do not add chorus or flange. Sounds very good with no reverb. This is called double tracking. Some folks do this a second time for quad tracking, but you have to really match them good in your performance. Direct recording vs a mic on a live amp are quite different. You can get fairly good results using direct recording. The problem with getting great results on a live setup are mic selection, placement, mic preamp (this is the key). And this costs big dollars. If you want to hear an example of double tracking go to uploads (members only) and look for the song Resurrection from WTN. The rhythm parts are double tracked. The amp is a Mesa Tremoverb. The mic is an SM57 and the pre is a SCA N72 which is a copy of a NEVE 1272. SCA is Seventh Circle Audio. These are kits that you have to build.

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Nov 12 2007, 05:38 PM
I found the best way to record with the pod xt (i have the live ) but pretty much the same deal.........record the sound just dry.....double tracked........then just add a stereo buss to the tracks...that way you have options..........like compressors.. reverb in a small way....cause when you pile on reverb you loose the punch...and get all dreamy..........but cool if you are doing solo work or acoustic ballards......... if you record with effects you are stuck with them...and 2 days later you might be like i wish i didnt have so much effects on the guitar..............I learned the hard way..... record dry effects later.............that way i can take it away if i change my mind.............but thats just my opinion....

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 12 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all your answers guys. Sorry i'm a complete retard when it comes to recording. At the moment i'd like to be able to record so i can upload to GMC to get feedback and stuff. But i don't easily rest when somethings not right to me or working properly or something tongue.gif. And i don't fancy hiring a recording studio every single time i want to record a lesson attempt. So i'm trying to sort stuff now if you get me.

I've noticed when recording leads and clean rhythms that isn't too bad. Might need a bit more volume but overall it isn't that bad to record. The hard part comes when i try to record a distorted rhythm is this normal or am i doing something wrong? Also i notice the recordings sound a bit higher pitched then when i play my PODxt through my amp.

Muris: Ok thanks i'll try and record in Stereo from now on. One question though what do you mean by Prophesy?

WTN: What do you mean by One pass? Also why don't you like recording rhythms in mono? I would have thought if anything it should have been leads in mono and rhythms in stereo. Yeah i've had a little fiddle with double tracking nothing major though.

ballistic31: Are you saying don't have any delay or reverb etc, just play clean or use a distorted tone as well?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 13 2007, 12:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 12 2007, 06:19 PM) *
Muris: Ok thanks i'll try and record in Stereo from now on. One question though what do you mean by Prophesy?

It's Rocktron Prophesy,a tube preamp with build-in efxs etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 13 2007, 12:36 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:19 AM) *
Thanks for all your answers guys. Sorry i'm a complete retard when it comes to recording. At the moment i'd like to be able to record so i can upload to GMC to get feedback and stuff. But i don't easily rest when somethings not right to me or working properly or something tongue.gif. And i don't fancy hiring a recording studio every single time i want to record a lesson attempt. So i'm trying to sort stuff now if you get me.

I've noticed when recording leads and clean rhythms that isn't too bad. Might need a bit more volume but overall it isn't that bad to record. The hard part comes when i try to record a distorted rhythm is this normal or am i doing something wrong? Also i notice the recordings sound a bit higher pitched then when i play my PODxt through my amp.

WTN: What do you mean by One pass? Also why don't you like recording rhythms in mono? I would have thought if anything it should have been leads in mono and rhythms in stereo. Yeah i've had a little fiddle with double tracking nothing major though.

ballistic31: Are you saying don't have any delay or reverb etc, just play clean or use a distorted tone as well?

By one pass, I mean no double tracking. Kind of hard to double track lead work, although it can be done.
I said to record the rhythm in mono, then go back and do it again and pan the first pass left and the second pass right. Sure you can just record a single mono rhythm track and pan it appropriately, but the double tracked rhythm really sounds full.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 01:08 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The pitch thing Steve might be if your audio device and recording software aren't set at the same sampling frequency - ie if one is at 44.1 and the other 48.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 13 2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks for trying to help me out guys, i bet this sort of things gets tiring after a while. Tony, how could i check that? I know you don't have a POD but what would you do in cubase?

Muris: Oh right cool i don't use one of those i just use what my POD patch has. Do you prefer to record clean then do it that way? So what you're saying is you use that for mono then use cubase for stereo?

WTN: I think i get you, but what i mean is why don't you like recording your rhythms in stereo why only mono? Yeah i didn't think doubling leads was what i should be doing. Cleans and leads aren't too bad

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 13 2007, 01:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 13 2007, 01:40 AM) *
Muris: Oh right cool i don't use one of those i just use what my POD patch has. Do you prefer to record clean then do it that way? So what you're saying is you use that for mono then use cubase for stereo?

You mean clean like no distortion or clean like without EFXS?
Anyhow,I plug both L and R outputs from Prophesy into Audio Card,
give them some width on pan pots like 80% and that's it.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 13 2007, 01:46 AM
I mean like record clean as in not distortion. Do you record your guitar then put it through prophesy to give it the effects then put it into cubase?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 13 2007, 01:52 AM
Instructor
I use both clean and distortion from Prophesy cause it's tube preamp,
I avoid adding drive from softwares like Guitar Rig etc.
And about effects,mostly I add them AFTER I record a sound dry but that's not the rule,
sometimes I match all EFXS that I need straight from preamp
so I record it with them. smile.gif
But usually I don't record with effects,yeah,just sometimes.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 01:54 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not used Cubase in a long while Steve but I think it's going to be an option in project setup. Project setup is one of the options in the Project Menu as I remember it.

With the pod there might be a software option that lets you choose and set its sample frequency/rate. Usually its a case of opening the software and somewhere on it there should be a menu option or tab that lets you set up your recording and monitoring preferences like frequency and bit depth. If there isn't then it's probably set at 44.1 unless line6 say different.

Also make sure your using the ASIO drivers for the POD Steve and have set that in the Cubase preferences as well.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 13 2007, 02:02 AM
OK i'll have a quick look at that in a bit Tony thanks. I'll have a look at my settings i know i set a few things to PODxt in cubase but to be honest i don't know what they do i only did that because the manual said so.

Muris i know what you mean now i was getting confused over an amp simulation program but yeah its a pre-amp that you're recording with.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:45 AM