2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Is It All Wrong?, with a HSS Fender Strat
MickeM
Jan 10 2010, 09:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Found one in the UK, on a Brit-shopping spree laugh.gif going cheap compared to here. £381. Maple neck, 21 frets, just right,
The bridge S pickup never was my favourite anyway, piercy and thin imo, so a humbucker is just right for me. Mid and neck S have the character I like, perfect for me!
I just have a tiny doubt on the modern C neck... Still, I think I'm going to order it.

Just like to hear your view on the HSS configuation. Cool, Blasphemy or who cares since it's not 24 frets and HHHH active pu's who'd want one anyway? wink.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 10 2010, 09:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think the H pickup ads some versatility to the guitar, so it's a plus for me tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 10 2010, 09:25 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'd want a humbucker too, so... get the darn thing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 10 2010, 10:08 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
The classic look of a strat features a SSS IMO, but still I prefer the versatily gained from HSS wink.gif
I like SC in bridge for some kinds of riffing and genres, but mostly a humbucker is to prefer.
About the neck, even though I just bought one with 21 frets, 22 is the magic number for me smile.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 10 2010, 10:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have C-shape + HSS on my Suhr strat, and I really prefer the C-shape over the classic Fender necks and I think the humbucker is splitted in the 4'th position so it will give that option too... I say also: Just go for it!!!!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
Jan 10 2010, 10:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Im looking for a single coil size HB for my strat so yeah mate, I would say go for it at that price for sure!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 10 2010, 11:18 PM
Everybody in agreement biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd prefer 22 frets but 21 is what it originally was though it's more difficult to hit the second octave. I seldom play up there anyway wink.gif

Cheers, have to adjust the shopping basket. Right now there's a Vox AC50CP2 in it beside the guitar... too much laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 10 2010, 11:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
That's a swet axe for sure, HSS is a nice config and there are many strats that use it, why not?
Go for it! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jan 11 2010, 12:20 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a Fat Strat Texas Special in that configuration. It's really a sweet guitar. I really like the HB in it.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 11 2010, 02:41 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I almost had my hands on a Mexi Fat Strat the other day but the guy backed out on a trade I was working with him. Great feeling guitar and quite versatile imo.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 11 2010, 02:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I LOOOOOOOVE Strats...and I think the H-S-S setup is the most useful and versatile setup you can get for a guitar. But, in my honest opinion...a real Strat has to have the slanted single coil bridge pickup, or else it just isn't a Strat!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Jan 11 2010, 06:01 AM
GMC:er
Cheers, have to adjust the shopping basket. Right now there's a Vox AC50CP2 in it beside the guitar... too much laugh.gif

WOW! I thought Christmas just ended blink.gif Sounds like a great set up, you will be very happy biggrin.gif I have the C neck strat and love it! Is that humbucker a 4 wire? you could split that and get more tones wink.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 12 2010, 12:41 AM
Instructor
HSS congifuration is proven to be great for all kinds of styles. Bridge S is cool for certain things but doesn't add up the way a real sized humbucker does. The fact that is real sized humbucker is great as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 12 2010, 11:26 PM
Instructor
Humbucker could be great for some really metal riffs, you can't really get that with single coils

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 13 2010, 01:46 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 12 2010, 05:26 PM) *
you can't really get that with single coils

And this is exactly where I get confused with singles.. laugh.gif I have thought the same thing and then hear players like Marcus tearing it up with a single in drop D tuning as well.. unsure.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...lure-the-riffs/

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 13 2010, 07:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
HSS is a pretty versatile choice and works for more styles! smile.gif Strat looks great to me and the price is really sweet! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 14 2010, 02:16 PM
As already mentioned Micke, if it's a 4-wire HB then you can always Coil Tap it to get a SC sound from the bridge too!! Even more versatility!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2010, 02:34 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 14 2010, 02:16 PM) *
As already mentioned Micke, if it's a 4-wire HB then you can always Coil Tap it to get a SC sound from the bridge too!! Even more versatility!!
biggrin.gif

That remains to find out. Waiting for the Sterling Pound to hit the floor before I order. It grew stronger the past few days and I want it to free fall for a few days + a couple more.
You're in the UK. Can't you do something? A royal scandal or something! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 14 2010, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 14 2010, 01:34 PM) *
That remains to find out. Waiting for the Sterling Pound to hit the floor before I order. It grew stronger the past few days and I want it to free fall for a few days + a couple more.
You're in the UK. Can't you do something? A royal scandal or something! biggrin.gif

If I took all my savings out of the Bank of England then I think the Country would go into an Economic Downfall to equal the Recession of 30's America!!! Would that help???
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2010, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 14 2010, 05:57 PM) *
If I took all my savings out of the Bank of England then I think the Country would go into an Economic Downfall to equal the Recession of 30's America!!! Would that help???
laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif please! If you would be so kind and do me that favor. Owe you one buddy! biggrin.gif
Hope I can return the favor paying you back with a wheel barrel full of money... Sterling Ponud ofc. wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:44 AM