Help With Recording, GR4 + cam = :-/
BTrian
Sep 29 2012, 04:14 PM
Learning Roadie
hi,
so recently got some cam (logitech c270) and tried some recording,
first attempt was using movie maker for capturing the vid, and recording the sound directly in Guitar Rig 4 (got Guitar Rig Mobile I/O as interface) and mixing things up in moviemaker again.
worked fine, things I noticed were the quality wasn't that good and the resolution in standard (while cam was told to do 720p in widescreen). Found no option in Movie maker whatsoever to change the quality, even not with the cam control software from logitech kicking in (detected it was used in moviemaker)

finally found that I can change stuff in the logitech capturing software itself
which leads me to the real problem
as soon as I enter 800x600 on normal, or 480p on widescreen mode, I get some annoying clipping in GR4 (obviously due to performance, though I don't see that much of an increase in CPU utilization due to the cam, still the main part taken by GR4 and on the same level)

are there any tricks to improve performance or how these 2 components work together?
How do all the ppl. here record their vids on that quality? only better PC?
only alternatives for me now seem to be:
  • -live with the lower quality, which is pretty meh :-/
  • -record the dry audiosignal simultanously to the vid and reamp it, which makes the actual playing quite impossible or at least no fun anymore
  • -put together video and audio from different takes, doest sound like a decent way to me either

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 30 2012, 08:22 PM
Instructor
*Bumping this thread up so hopefully somebody can help !!*

I'm not familiar with those 2 things myself, sorry.. I'm sure someone here will be able to help ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 30 2012, 10:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You have pinpointed a problem accurately. Logitech and other webcams that record in HD relay on the CPU speed to do the processing and everything. On the other hand Guitar Rig 5 doing processing in the real time eats the processor performance as well.

What you can try is to check Guitar Rig 5 settings and try experimenting with the buffer. It will lower or increase the load on CPU.

If you can record 800x600 in good frame rate, I think that sounds like a good compromise since you don't necessarily need 720p resolution on youtube unless you are watching the video full screen.

Updating CPU and RAM on the PC would help in this case but I would recommend maybe checking some camcorders or even photo cameras that record good quality 720p video. Newer mobile phones can also capture really good quality video.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 1 2012, 05:14 AM
GMC:er
Todd here smile.gif I do something similar but I"m on a an iMac (Quad Core 8 Gig of ram) so it's a bit different.

I"m using the QUICKTIME PRO utility from APPLE which you can get from their web site. It lets me choose a video input ( I use a handycam connected via firewire recording @ 840x480 (480 Widescreen) and select my audio interface for audio. QUICKTIME then puts audio and Video in to a single quicktime .mov file and the audio an vid are in perfect synch.

So I'm not recording in FULL HD when doing synch/audio video. If I want to record full HD, I record audio and video separately and them synch them up in Final Cut Pro (on windows you can use movie maker or what not I"m guessing).

You'll need the PRO Version so download quicktime and register it to pro mode. I think it's $35 or so. It's a very handy video utility. I"ve never had any problems with it. I've heard loads of folks having wads of issues with movie maker it seems. Some folks love it though. smile.gif

Here is the link

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL837

Todd

QUOTE (BTrian @ Sep 29 2012, 11:14 AM) *
hi,
so recently got some cam (logitech c270) and tried some recording,
first attempt was using movie maker for capturing the vid, and recording the sound directly in Guitar Rig 4 (got Guitar Rig Mobile I/O as interface) and mixing things up in moviemaker again.
worked fine, things I noticed were the quality wasn't that good and the resolution in standard (while cam was told to do 720p in widescreen). Found no option in Movie maker whatsoever to change the quality, even not with the cam control software from logitech kicking in (detected it was used in moviemaker)

finally found that I can change stuff in the logitech capturing software itself
which leads me to the real problem
as soon as I enter 800x600 on normal, or 480p on widescreen mode, I get some annoying clipping in GR4 (obviously due to performance, though I don't see that much of an increase in CPU utilization due to the cam, still the main part taken by GR4 and on the same level)

are there any tricks to improve performance or how these 2 components work together?
How do all the ppl. here record their vids on that quality? only better PC?
only alternatives for me now seem to be:
  • -live with the lower quality, which is pretty meh :-/
  • -record the dry audiosignal simultanously to the vid and reamp it, which makes the actual playing quite impossible or at least no fun anymore
  • -put together video and audio from different takes, doest sound like a decent way to me either

+Quote Post
mad
Oct 1 2012, 03:32 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey,

I use exactly the same cam smile.gif
regarding pc performance I must say: even with the intel core i7 cpu and 12Gig of ram, I have the same problem when selecting full hd 720p in the logitech capturing software.
gear i use for recording: guitar->m-audio fast track pro->Cubase (with TH2 plug-in)->windows movie maker (or videopad, when I need video overlay)
There is an option in the preferences of the logitech software: 720p optimized. And be sure to deactivate "RightSound"- and "RightLight"-option and mute the webcam's mic.

Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
BTrian
Oct 2 2012, 09:42 PM
Learning Roadie
ok thx for the answers, looks like a common problem.
and as I see your posted specs I see why 640x480 is all I can pull out of my 2.0 dual core 4GB ram notebook ^^
adjusting cam settings and changing the buffer didn't help either.

so I guess I'm just gonna stick to what I've got, at least the cam was quite cheap and frame rate is acceptable.

was just confused, cause task manager didn't show big increase of cpu and ram usage when using the cam and changing settings there
(like 20-40% CPU usage when running GR4, internal display of the program shows bout 35% on "HI mode"
while task manager only shows an increase of 5-10% when switching to 720p, the internal prog display starts bumping between 30 and 60 or totally dies, the vid showing no problems at all)
Thats why I thought it would rather be an issue of allocating performance than a real hardware cap.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2012, 10:04 PM
GMC:er
The BUS SPEED (USB, etc.) Plays a part as well. Some cameras are actually USB 1.1 (very slow) and USB has to use CPU in order to function so there is a cpu hit for every USB device. USB 2.0 has much more bandwidth, but is only as fast as the slowest device in a given chain. So add that to a standard laptop and you run in to the performance ceiling pretty quick.
Todd

QUOTE (BTrian @ Oct 2 2012, 04:42 PM) *
ok thx for the answers, looks like a common problem.
and as I see your posted specs I see why 640x480 is all I can pull out of my 2.0 dual core 4GB ram notebook ^^
adjusting cam settings and changing the buffer didn't help either.

so I guess I'm just gonna stick to what I've got, at least the cam was quite cheap and frame rate is acceptable.

was just confused, cause task manager didn't show big increase of cpu and ram usage when using the cam and changing settings there
(like 20-40% CPU usage when running GR4, internal display of the program shows bout 35% on "HI mode"
while task manager only shows an increase of 5-10% when switching to 720p, the internal prog display starts bumping between 30 and 60 or totally dies, the vid showing no problems at all)
Thats why I thought it would rather be an issue of allocating performance than a real hardware cap.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:29 PM