4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
The Reckoning - New Album
Ben Higgins
Sep 19 2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor
Here's a new tune.. one of my favourites - LONGBOAT

I wrote this a very very long time ago.. possibly around 2000, after watching a programme on tv. It was about a group of people building a recreation of a Viking ship and sailing it from Norway to the Shetland Isles. I came up with this repetitive riff and when I first got my computer and Cubase I laid it down and added to it. The acoustic tracks are from the original demo I did... rather than replace them I kept them because they captured the vibe at the time. There's string buzz and extra noises but hey, if Led Zeppelin left that stuff in, why can't I ? wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2013, 02:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 19 2013, 02:40 PM) *
Here's a new tune.. one of my favourites - LONGBOAT

I wrote this a very very long time ago.. possibly around 2000, after watching a programme on tv. It was about a group of people building a recreation of a Viking ship and sailing it from Norway to the Shetland Isles. I came up with this repetitive riff and when I first got my computer and Cubase I laid it down and added to it. The acoustic tracks are from the original demo I did... rather than replace them I kept them because they captured the vibe at the time. There's string buzz and extra noises but hey, if Led Zeppelin left that stuff in, why can't I ? wink.gif

I enjoyed listening to that, Ben, but I must admit I felt that the very shredding towards the end was a bit offputting, but I can understand why you put it there for the climax of the song.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2013, 03:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 19 2013, 01:40 PM) *
... The acoustic tracks are from the original demo I did... rather than replace them I kept them because they captured the vibe at the time. There's string buzz and extra noises but hey, if Led Zeppelin left that stuff in, why can't I ? wink.gif

I think this and 'Daughter of the Snow' are my two favourite tracks.

I was kind of curious why you didn't want me to deal with the various noises Ben.* I assumed that you wanted it to remain close to a one take/live type of vibe so I wasn't too far off the mark smile.gif .

By the way there are loads of famous commerical recordings that have won lots of gramy awards etc that have audio issues but the producer kept the particular part/take to maintain the feel etc. Some people though over produce their stuff in pursuit of 'perfection' and it can end up loosing its soul and sounding anodyne.

*though I know that a lot of people who don't know your reasons will just assume we goofed up here rolleyes.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 19 2013, 04:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Just bought the album via iTunes.. I've to drive 1h by car - \m/

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 19 2013, 04:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 19 2013, 04:37 PM) *
Just bought the album via iTunes.. I've to drive 1h by car - \m/

Man, that rocks ! I hope you like it - thanks for the support ! smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 19 2013, 03:02 PM) *
I think this and 'Daughter of the Snow' are my two favourite tracks.

I was kind of curious why you didn't want me to deal with the various noises Ben.* I assumed that you wanted it to remain close to a one take/live type of vibe so I wasn't too far off the mark smile.gif .

By the way there are loads of famous commerical recordings that have won lots of gramy awards etc that have audio issues but the producer kept the particular part/take to maintain the feel etc. Some people though over produce their stuff in pursuit of 'perfection' and it can end up loosing its soul and sounding anodyne.

*though I know that a lot of people who don't know your reasons will just assume we goofed up here rolleyes.gif .

Yep, I knew that the extra noises were playing issues and couldn't be altered by anything aside from re-recording it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 26 2013, 03:41 PM
Instructor
Have uploaded another track from the new album !

Hunter Becomes Hunted - see if you can recognise where the solo comes from ! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 3 2013, 04:03 PM
Instructor
Uploaded another track - Drag You Down ! This is the one with the full on wah solo in the middle !

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 3 2013, 03:03 PM) *
Uploaded another track - Drag You Down ! This is the one with the full on wah solo in the middle !

Organic! Love it biggrin.gif It has those notes where the wah is neither up nor down - love that! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:38 PM