How To Get In A Band?, info and experiences
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 26 2008, 12:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
We all play and NEED the audience to show or skill and music! At start is our brother,sister,mother , friend , girlfriend...But as we develop our skill , our hunger for more people to show it to rises! Its fun practicing at home , often alone, but IMO even more fun lays in playing in a band or jamming with a friend.So I'm opening this thread to give you my own experience and for us all to share good advices on how to get into a band...First thing you need to have is a motivation..Not all of us share the enthusiasm and will to go out and play with other people and its perfectly ok.But for those of us who have such aspiration its a valuable first step.For me it started in primary school...I had a few instrument playing friends and after a lot of planing etc we finally "made" a bend (later on we split up even before we "started" but it was a great experience that driven me on to the path to find a band later on in which I play today).Its not that hard when you think about it..You need to find an guitar or whatever instrument playing friend , talk with him to find if he wants to be in a bend..If you both share the same vision you are on a good track...Start jamming together.Most bends start by playing covers so its a good and safe start..After you got one person beside you its a little easier to get the rest of the members...Make ads on forums,myspace and other community sites, meet mutual friends try to get them warmed up for your story...After you get essential band together or most part of it, go and rent a practice room and enjoy in your first rehearsal of many smile.gif
You need to be persistent and ready to compromise...At young age its hard to find a good drummer for example but if you have someone that is willing to learn , give him the chance to play drums in a practice room...You start slowly and than build up your goals and everything from there..Key thing here, so to sum it up, is to make friends and mostly ones that play or ones that will start to play.Primary/high schools and community web sites are best to find such people in.So go out and be friendly and not shy wink.gif After you assemble the band , have regular practices as long as you need it for you all to start sounding good and everything...Gigs are another subject..
Remember that if you REALLY want something to happen, it will happen to YOU if you stay motivated and push hard!
Also don't always choose band members by their skill , rather look how you get along with them as persons, that is more important than skill which is relative term (and with some good practice can be changed in a short amount of time).

Also there is another approach to this subject..If you want to get in a band you can look for a existing one,even if you don't know the members...Answer bands ads when looking for members , also POST your OWN ads that you are a guitar player (with such preferences) and that you are looking for a band.Most likely someone will contact you for audition etc...Auditions are cool , don't fear in advance of being rejected or something that attitude won't bring you anywhere.Rather just be yourself , prepare the required material nicely and go to audition and have fun! They will look at your skill , but your personality will be the one that will make them accept you.

Here at GMC we have virtual bands and collaborations..Take a participation..That is a really unique way to be in a band with people all around the world.Try it see how it goes for you, its fun trust me!!!

Lets see others info , how you got in a band , have some advices how to help others get in a band?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 26 2008, 12:20 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Bogdan Radovic   How To Get In A Band?   Aug 26 2008, 12:15 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   I got in a band by audition No seriously, Bogd...   Aug 26 2008, 12:29 PM
- - Iluha   Everything you said Bogdan, I completly agree with...   Aug 26 2008, 02:02 PM
- - superize   O man i wish i could find a band to play with some...   Aug 26 2008, 02:06 PM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (superize @ Aug 26 2008, 03:06 PM) ...   Aug 26 2008, 02:09 PM
|- - Fsgdjv   QUOTE (superize @ Aug 26 2008, 03:06 PM) ...   Aug 26 2008, 08:17 PM
nnn
- - Nemanja Filipovic   Great topic Bole ,and good points you made,and eve...   Aug 26 2008, 02:24 PM
- - Noangels   The trouble is finding other musicians at the same...   Aug 26 2008, 02:41 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Advertise everywhere you can that you are looking ...   Aug 26 2008, 05:07 PM
- - sigma7   ooh im glad somebody posted this because i need a ...   Aug 26 2008, 05:10 PM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (sigma7 @ Aug 26 2008, 06:10 PM) oo...   Aug 26 2008, 05:33 PM
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   It is always best to keep looking for a band that ...   Aug 26 2008, 05:24 PM
- - Gus   I agree on word Bogdan use, "make" a ban...   Aug 26 2008, 05:53 PM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 26 2008, 06:53 PM) As fo...   Aug 26 2008, 07:56 PM
nnn
- - Velvet Roger   Bogdan, thanks for putting this thread up ... it m...   Aug 31 2008, 10:39 PM
- - FrankW   I only joined bands to meet wimmings...   Aug 31 2008, 10:50 PM
- - signularis   i wish i could find a band as well, cause practisi...   Sep 1 2008, 12:44 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Aug 31 2008, 11:39 ...   Sep 1 2008, 12:52 PM
|- - signularis   Check out my first post (yeah the long one) and al...   Sep 1 2008, 12:58 PM
nnn
- - audiopaal   I've just been asked to join a band here in St...   Sep 1 2008, 01:17 PM
- - GuitarStar997   lol i think im a bit young to be playing all night...   Sep 1 2008, 11:31 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:25 PM