3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Theory Basics For Guitar
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 16 2007, 01:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 16 2007, 05:52 AM) *
You're absolutely right - I'm sure Andrew will fix this typo in a jiffy smile.gif

Fixed - thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ped
Aug 1 2007, 09:06 PM
GMC:er
None has never explained me this subject so clearly...really a great theory lesson!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
francesco
Sep 14 2007, 05:30 AM
great lesson

It's quite hard for me to learn note in this way becaus we have different name for them in Italy :
DO = C , RE=D , MI=E , FA=F , SOL=G , LA=A , SI=B ...
so every time I've to remember "traslation" smile.gif

Do you know why in Italy we have this difference ??

Ciao
Francesco

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Sep 15 2007, 02:25 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (francesco @ Sep 14 2007, 06:30 AM) *
great lesson

It's quite hard for me to learn note in this way becaus we have different name for them in Italy :
DO = C , RE=D , MI=E , FA=F , SOL=G , LA=A , SI=B ...
so every time I've to remember "traslation" smile.gif

Do you know why in Italy we have this difference ??

Ciao
Francesco

It's just convention. The Do-Re-Mi "Solfege" is most likely older than the C D E notation - it descends from a hymn, where those syllables were the first in each phrase (except Do was called Ut - changed it to be easier to sing). Pretty much all non-mediterranean countries went with the C D E notation. Italy, Spain, France etc. went with Do Re Mi.

The rest of us only use Do-Re-Mi for sight reading, and here, "Do" isn't necessarily "C" - it's just the tonic of the scale we're singing in, if the song is in major. It could be any fixed note - D, E, F#, whatever.

Non-English-speaking countries have another problem - we tend to call "B" "H", and "Bb" "B" (often we use "Bb", though, to avoid thinking "B" means "H")

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Sep 15 2007, 02:27 AM

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 17 2007, 10:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is a very good theory lesson.
I'm now at school at this moment but i'm done with a test of informatics so I learned a lesson at GMC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 6 2007, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 1 2007, 06:57 AM) *
Theory Basics for Guitar

Remember above when I said that certain pairs of notes do not have a semitone between them? Another way of saying this is that there is no such note as E#, or B#, or using the flat notation, Fb and Cb do not exist.

Andrew I love how you have been as clear as possible about a very confusing subject here
and I would not want to confuse a theory beginner any more than they need to be tongue.gif
but praps a short note to the effect that E#, B#, Fb and Cb certainly do exist as note names within scales at a more advanced level would be best...
Otherwise people will be claiming that it is not possible to have an E# at all ever... ohmy.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 6 2007, 08:45 PM
Good point - I made a change along those lines - thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Grimjoura
Nov 14 2007, 12:34 AM
WoW !

Greatest Theory lesson i ever read.

Short, effective and not anoying as the stuff the teachers tortured us with in schooldays...

Maximum Points for ´ya, Andrew an my biggest thanks too!

Thomas aka Grimjoura

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 14 2007, 01:23 AM
Glad you liked it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
demonmyst
Jan 31 2008, 07:52 PM
So far so good. I'm learning a lot of beginner stuff I should have learned years ago.... I love GMC <3

+Quote Post
signularis
Mar 4 2008, 05:21 PM
i hope i learn this smile.gif

+Quote Post
caseywa70
Apr 25 2008, 05:05 AM
when I first laid my hands on a guitar I wanted to be able to say, "yeah, I can play that song". after joining CMC & reading your theory lessons my focus has changed extremely. I want to know every square inch of my guitar & these lessons are giving me the tools to do just that. thanks andrew.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 25 2008, 12:13 PM
Glad to be of service smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 20 2008, 02:30 PM
Learning Roadie
hey andrew.

Nice lesson.. thanx.. i just joined this site today, having played guitar for a while, having a long break, and now coming back to it.. I was actually thinking about going directly to the guitar riffs sections, but opted them out for some theory.
I never had any theory at all since im a self taught guitar player, but i always thought something was missing.. Im gonna go through all your lessons now.. Especially if the rest of them are as good as this one..

Great work. Keep it up,
David

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 21 2008, 12:51 AM
Great! Let me know if you have any questions smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
BM
Aug 14 2008, 02:20 AM
That was a very helpful! I do have one question though. What are those notes written in parenthese? Without them I see the 8 notes. Thanks

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi there - not sure which notes you mean, are you talking about B#, E# etc?

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
BM
Aug 14 2008, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 14 2008, 12:44 PM) *
Hi there - not sure which notes you mean, are you talking about B#, E# etc?

Yep lol. Those are the ones.

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2008, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (BM @ Aug 14 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Yep lol. Those are the ones.

They are notes that don't exist in regular scales. (There are exceptions but save that for later, and just remember that the note after B is a C, not B#, same for all the others).

In total that should actually give you 12 notes:

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# (see, no B# or E#)

Since any sharp can also be called a flat under certain circumstances, you could also write this as

A Bb B C Cb D Db E F Fb G Gb (see, no Fb or Cb)

This is really a naming convention and doesn't affect the notes at all - they are all 1 semitone different.

Now, given that fact, if you tried to flatten an F, you would get an E, so you could view Fb as the same note as an E, we just don't call it that except in rare cases.Similarly, in frequency terms:

B# = C
E# = F
Cb = B

But B#, E#, Fb, Cb are rarely ever referred to as they have more common names above.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
adriduran81
Aug 17 2008, 07:48 PM
very good lesson!! i hope learn the basics!!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:06 PM