Schecter Or Ibanez
Raph
Jul 29 2009, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
OK, so here's the deal...

My b-day is coming up soon and now I want to get a really good guitar to "compliment" my cheap Strat....haha

Anyways, I'm a guitarist on a budget, so I can only spend £200 around (around $420).

I have two guitars in mind, an Ibanez GRG270B and a Schecter Diamond Series Sunset FR Deluxe.

I've read reviews about them saying they're both pretty good workhorses (my ideal guitar), but there are negatives to them too (the Ibanez has an Edge III bridge, the Schecter's pickups suck etc.)

Anyways, which guitar do you think has more value for money?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Raph: Jul 29 2009, 04:32 PM

--------------------
Yesterday my fastest speed was 300 bpm - on a whole note exercise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 29 2009, 04:43 PM
That's a pretty tough call. I'm not as familiar with Schecter's naming conventions but the Ibanez models with "G" in front are "Generic" or "General" or such. Similar, though not as poor quality, as Squier is to the Fender name.

I have an old GAX that was extremely inexpensive and played beautifully, but I haven't personally tested any others in that "G" line.

If they're similar in price, I'd also venture a guess that perhaps "Diamond" is Schecters affordable alternative as well? Again, that's if they're similar in price.

Ultimately the safest thing to do at that price range is look for commonly occurring defects by searching online and play the things yourself in the store if you can.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 29 2009, 05:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The Diamond Series from Schecter involves every one of their non-custom shop guitars. It's divided into many groups of guitars that can span a range from a few hundred dollars to more than $1000. It's not a very specific identifier. The "Sunset" identifier is, however, more specific, and of course FR meaning a Floyd Rose (licensed) bridge. As for the quality...you'll have to play and pick which one suits you best. I would think both of these guitars would be a bit risky to buy online as they are lower end models that may have unique tendencies...just my thoughts.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 29 2009, 06:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I have a "G" ibanez and I haven't been impressed with it. I'm not familiar with either of these guitars though. Is there a way you could try them out?

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 29 2009, 06:08 PM
Ahh, yes. Matt's GRG is old and a little troublesome sounding. It could be that they don't age well or take heavy use very well. My GAX was fine but I played a lot less often and perhaps less "hard" than you guys are.

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 29 2009, 06:40 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jul 29 2009, 06:08 PM) *
Ahh, yes. Matt's GRG is old and a little troublesome sounding. It could be that they don't age well or take heavy use very well. My GAX was fine but I played a lot less often and perhaps less "hard" than you guys are.

You could be right, I was very inexperienced with guitars when I got it so I don't know how good it was then. I have only had it 2-3 years though.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 29 2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but 2-3 years shredding as a kid did some pretty bad things to my lower-end instruments when I was your age as well.

Anyway, for that price range of guitars it really is best to try before buying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 29 2009, 08:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is a tough call Raph, but one this is for sure - you have to try both guitars. DO NOT buy them online without trying them first. You will feel which guitar is better for you immediately (you won't need reviews for that). Play it for at least 15 minutes each and you will then know which one suites you better.Also those guitars can vary a lot from piece to piece so make sure you try different "Same model" guitars to see which one is best sounding. I would vote for that Schecter but that is just because I'm not fond of Ibanez guitars much tongue.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 30 2009, 03:18 AM
A "G" Ibanez with mics replacement is a nice choice. You won't have a pro guitar, but it will sound pretty well. I have a student that replace the mics to his G and it surprised me. He installed Dimarzio's Paf Pro and Steve's Specials and the guitar sounds really really well.
I don't know Schecters guitars very much. They aren't very common here, so I can't really help you with those. What I know, is that Schecter models are very good looking

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jul 30 2009, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (Raph @ Jul 29 2009, 10:31 AM) *
OK, so here's the deal...

My b-day is coming up soon and now I want to get a really good guitar to "compliment" my cheap Strat....haha

you'll want to save up a little more, if thats the case. Both the Ibanez and Schecter are essentially entry level guitars, which won't be much of an upgrade. IMO, wait a little bit, until you get a few more hundred £, it'll be worth the wait to get a higher quality instrument than having 2 cheaper, lower quality instruments.

+Quote Post
Raph
Jul 30 2009, 10:45 AM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Jul 30 2009, 07:51 AM) *
you'll want to save up a little more, if thats the case. Both the Ibanez and Schecter are essentially entry level guitars, which won't be much of an upgrade. IMO, wait a little bit, until you get a few more hundred £, it'll be worth the wait to get a higher quality instrument than having 2 cheaper, lower quality instruments.

I'm willing to modify the guitar to some extent, so even if I have two entry levels, at least one will have an iconic feature. Besides, I only get paid minimum wage, it will take me at least another two years to save up. (I use quite a large percentage of my pay to live...haha)

--------------------
Yesterday my fastest speed was 300 bpm - on a whole note exercise.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2009, 12:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think they feel very different to play, where I find the Schecter models I've tried - can't recall em but I got a feeling the all necks are the same - to be unconfortable and the RG models of Ibanez to be comfortable and the ART models very, very comfie.
I suggest you try a few to feel for yourself.

And I'm in doubt about the cheaper Ibanez models. I've got one where the knife edges and metal stud on the tremolo are worn and rendered useless after only one year of playing and very little active use of the tremolo. That's low quality imo, could be I had the bad luck of getting a weak copy but if the quality varies that much that's also a sign of low quality.

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 4 2009, 05:42 AM
Learning Roadie
A little update just because. I have been playing my C-1 for the last 3 night practice. I still love it, it plays great but is way different then the Ibanez I have. The C-1 feels like it is 5 - 10 lbs lighter so I can really handle it better in a sense. Quicker to drop D or other tunings which I just will not hassle with on the floating trem, ibanez situation. I mean...you know...Rock on! You got to have lots of guitars I guess. heh!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:57 AM