Recording Studio
Chris
Aug 29 2007, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi! I will be going into a recording studio for my first time soon. Can any one give me any advice as to what I should prepare and what are the usual steps once your in the studio? Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 29 2007, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Rent an Audio Engineer(is that the right name?) if your going into the studio the first time. He can help you get the sound you want on the record. It's just a waste of money if you go there by yourself without any recording experience cause you'll be spending the hole time figuring out what pro-tool does what effect and which button you got to push next. With the help of a proffessional you'll get a far better result.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 29 2007, 09:45 PM
Instructor
Great! I hope you'll have a lot of fun!

Make sure you know all your parts. In a studio time is money as you know..
Also bring your tuner and a metronome. Determine the tempos in advance..

This post has been edited by Wallimann: Aug 29 2007, 09:45 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 10:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
They will most likely have you all play together at first to get a backing track down, including a guide vocal, then go back and overdub vocals and maybe lead guitar parts.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tank
Aug 30 2007, 07:07 PM
GMC Veteran
I agree with David. Get your parts down. You'll want to redo all mistakes you make, which means more takes, which is more time. The less mistakes you make, the less you'll have to go over it.
There's nothing worse than listening to yourself on a record, knowing that you've made a mistake, and it's in the final cut. "Oh no here it comes... here it comes... ooofff, I hate that flat note!" It will haunt you forever.

Usual steps are: set tempo, and get a guide track down. Then build track from ground up. Drums, bass, rhythm, vocals, lead. Then usually keyboards, second guitar parts, extra orchestration (fx etc usually done by producer/engineer, so try to get a decent one).

Oh, and, have a really fun time. Enjoy it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 31 2007, 03:10 AM
GMC:er
thanks guys. smile.gif

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:22 AM